Author Topic: USDA to make school lunches edible again. Michelle Obama hardest hit.  (Read 4255 times)

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
No...ours kinda floated down the halls weaving in and out with no particular direction swinging a 3 foot ruler and pulling kids by their ears....
We had one with the same ruler, only brass endcaps on it. I'm surprised half of us didn't look like Dumbo by the third grade...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
School sure was good to ya @Wingnut.

We call a three foot ruler a yardstick...
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Online roamer_1

**nononono*

D@mn, roamer, you needed some serious lessons on being sneakier...

I always managed to keep mine to misdemeanors.
It was sixth grade when I spent purt'near every day visiting the office. It was so extensive, the one week I decided to behave myself and stay out of any trouble (yes, it was a strain) the Principal called my folks and told them he hoped I was feeling better. I spent the weekend on lockdown, grounded to the house for skipping school, where there was NOTHING for a mile in any direction--until that got cleared up on Monday. I maintained a higher profile after that, but not too high. Moderation in all things, and all that.

Mostly they were for tusslin. Self defense, right back in. Wasn't me throwing the first punch. Three or four were for wading into a fight. Defense of others, normally knocking down some jerk that was wailing on a girl, or putting the boots to somebody... Again, right back in. Two were administrative, because I missed too many days, because they suspended me in the first place. Lawyer, because that ain't fair. Right back in.

Kinda that sort of thing... It was right when they started the whole idea of suspending everybody and anybody involved in a fight... Didn't work out so good for them in my case.   :shrug: I don't back up. It ain't in me.

Offline Suppressed

A lot of people don't realize that many states (e.g., Texas) passed even stricter guidelines than the feds.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Frank Cannon

A lot of people don't realize that many states (e.g., Texas) passed even stricter guidelines than the feds.

And that's why Texas sucks.

Offline Smokin Joe

Mostly they were for tusslin. Self defense, right back in. Wasn't me throwing the first punch. Three or four were for wading into a fight. Defense of others, normally knocking down some jerk that was wailing on a girl, or putting the boots to somebody... Again, right back in. Two were administrative, because I missed too many days, because they suspended me in the first place. Lawyer, because that ain't fair. Right back in.

Kinda that sort of thing... It was right when they started the whole idea of suspending everybody and anybody involved in a fight... Didn't work out so good for them in my case.   :shrug: I don't back up. It ain't in me.
Yeah, I remember getting in more trouble than the guy who started the fight because I was bigger and I won.  Thankfully, enough people came forward and said I was just defending myself. He started it, I finished it. I finally got off with a reprimand to 'beat on someone my own size'. Girls didn't get hit by guys in our schools. That just wasn't done. They would have been hustled off the playground to the woods and left to crawl back to school by a bunch of guys who didn't see anything...but who would have checked on them before we left for the day.
They hadn't started the whole 'suspend 'em all and let God sort 'em out thing' yet when/where I was. My grandson is dealing with that crap in school now, and it is a pain.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 04:52:09 am by Smokin Joe »

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online roamer_1

Girls didn't get hit by guys in our schools. That just wasn't done.

I know. That's why I took exception. Mostly townies. Mostly stoners... Their condition and general tenor left them often unconcerned with standard Western mores and means. We were experiencing a wave of Californication when I was in high school. may not have been the first, but it was probably the biggest I have lived through... A fair bunch of them had never been properly informed, it seems - So I took it upon myself to instruct them, being civic-minded and all.  :whistle:

They hadn't started the whole 'suspend 'em all and let God sort 'em out thing' yet when/where I was. My grandson is dealing with that crap in school now, and it is a pain.

Yeah... went through it with both my sons, too. Went to lawyers a couple times. I always told em to take the first punch, and then anything goes... And they lived by that fairly well.

Offline Smokin Joe

Yeah... went through it with both my sons, too. Went to lawyers a couple times. I always told em to take the first punch, and then anything goes... And they lived by that fairly well.
He has been similarly instructed. He has a deep voice and is a well muscled kid, so people often think he is older than he is (I had the same problem at his age), so the immediate reaction when he is in a confrontation with one of his age group is that he is older and picking on the 'little' kids. As a result, most of his friends are a few years older than he is. That raises different problems, but ones I am familiar with and lived through myself. Only the details have changed, and the gossip moves a lot faster.

C S Lewis

geronl

back to the topic: USDA should have no say in local and state matters like school lunches.

Now back to your high school memoirs

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
back to the topic: USDA should have no say in local and state matters like school lunches.

Now back to your high school memoirs

Gives the USDA something to do when they aren't handing out welfare checks.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Suppressed

Yeah, welfare has been spread out across departments now, so it appears to be much smaller than it is.  Few people realize that the majority of USDA budget is welfare, not help to farms, inspections, etc.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline verga

They were barely edible when I was in school on the 80s.
@Cripplecreek I grew up in a suburban neighborhood in the 70's. The school lunches were really good. We had these little old Polish ladies that did homemade everything. Some of the best Chicken noodle soup you could imagine, with the wide egg noodles and chunks of chicken. The hamburgers were hand made not the pre-made frozen Mickey D burgers.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Online mountaineer

Just think, they might actually have time to inspect food production facilities if they weren't all-consumed with distributing "SNAP."  :pondering:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Wingnut

Lunch in most every US school in the 60's.

"Schools first began providing food for children because so many were undernourished and farmers had extra crops to sell. As children eating in elementary school cafeterias in the 1950s, we might have joked about the strange “mystery meat” that was infrequently served and was always greeted as a big treat, but for the most part school cafeterias back in the 50s and 60s served real food.  Ladies in hairnets mashed “real” potatoes, boiled “real” pasta and even baked “real” cookies. And that’s not all. Most of the food was free of dyes and artificial flavors which has been known to trigger bad behavior, decreased learning capacity, and health problems. In the 1950s vending machines didn’t line the hallways, and a half-pint of cold milk was the only drink on the menu."