Author Topic: Senate sounds ready to gut new House health-care bill — if it passes the House at all  (Read 611 times)

Offline corbe

Senate sounds ready to gut new House health-care bill — if it passes the House at all

posted at 11:21 am on April 27, 2017 by Allahpundit

Doesn’t really matter. This is a game of hot potato at this point. The Freedom Caucus took the blame, fairly or not, for tanking the original House health-care bill last month. Now they’ve hatched an amendment that makes the bill more palatable to conservatives, letting states waive the federal mandates for Essential Health Benefits and community rating subject to certain conditions, but which does little to make it more appealing to Republican moderates. The stuff that would make it more palatable to them, like rolling back planned cuts to Medicaid, isn’t in the new version and would only spook House conservatives all over again if it were. In fact, if anything, because it gives states the power to let insurers charge people with preexisting conditions higher premiums under some circumstances, the new bill is arguably a heavier lift for moderates than the original bill was. (And possibly will prove even less appealing to voters.) But from the conservative point of view, that’s okay. The Freedom Caucus amendment achieves its core goal of flipping the hot potato from the right over to the moderates, who’ll now take the blame among Trump’s base if they vote no and the bill fails and will take the blame from everyone else if they vote yes and it passes.

If they end up signing off, it’ll only toss the hot potato to a third player — the Senate. And guess what? They’re already preparing to toss it right back
:

<..snip..>

http://hotair.com/archives/2017/04/27/senate-sounds-ready-gut-house-health-care-bill-passes-house/
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline corbe

Why Not?  If I'm not mistaken Reid gutted a VA Health Care Bill completely to create obummercare.  Just Repeal the Damn thing already, ROOT and BRANCH. Write Legislation to incorporate the few things America seems to think they can't do without, 26yo's on parent's policy and pre-existing conditions among those.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
The problem isn't going to be getting Cruz and Rand on board.  It's going to be getting enough of the RINO's on board.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

The problem isn't going to be getting Cruz and Rand on board.  It's going to be getting enough of the RINO's on board.
At the end of the day, the new bill's retention of exemptions for Congress and its staff members will swing the vote to be approved.

It's called self-serving.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
C'mon.

One step at a time.

Get it out of the House first.
Then worry about the Senate.

Remember how only weeks ago, folks were twisting their hands and crying because the first iteration of obamacare repeal had failed?

Well, time to try again.
And if this one doesn't make it, then perhaps the third time will do the trick.

Keep trying, keep coming back at it.
This is how the democrat/communists have won for decades.
It's time for us to co-opt their perseverance.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
   Why Not?  If I'm not mistaken Reid gutted a VA Health Care Bill completely to create obummercare.  Just Repeal the Damn thing already, ROOT and BRANCH. Write Legislation to incorporate the few things America seems to think they can't do without, 26yo's on parent's policy and pre-existing conditions among those.

What you said!   888high58888
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien