Author Topic: Poll: Trump Approval Rating Underwater in TX - Cruz Losing to Castro  (Read 1561 times)

Online libertybele

I realize polls are polls, but this should concern us all.  Wall?  Bammycare?  Refugee Ban?  Those issues could very well sink the GOP in 2018.

Poll: Trump approval rating underwater in Texas — and Ted Cruz is losing to Democratic rival Castro

President Donald Trump is completing his first 100 days in office with an upside-down approval rating in solid-red Texas.

That’s according to a Texas Lyceum poll released Wednesday that found more Texans disapprove of the job Trump is doing than approve, 54 percent to 42 percent. Opinions are sharply divided along party lines: 85 percent of Republicans approve of his performance, while 86 percent of Democrats disapprove......

.......The poll also looked at the 2018 elections, finding a plurality of registered voters have not tuned in yet to the matchup between U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz, R-Texas, and his Democratic challenger, Beto O’Rourke. Cruz tied with O’Rourke, an El Paso congressman, at 30 percent support among registered voters, but 37 percent said they have not thought about the race yet.

Another Democrat, U.S. Rep. Joaquin Castro of San Antonio, is considering a challenge to Cruz and has said he will decide by the end of the month. He does slightly better against Cruz than O’Rourke does, getting 35 percent support to Cruz’s 31 percent, with 31 percent saying they are not paying attention yet to the race......

http://www.rawstory.com/2017/04/poll-trump-approval-rating-underwater-in-texas-and-ted-cruz-is-losing-to-democratic-rival-castro/

Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Joe Wooten

Re: Poll: Trump Approval Rating Underwater in TX - Cruz Losing to Castro
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2017, 11:53:44 pm »
I want to see the specifics to this poll. I bet it oversampled democrats.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2017, 11:59:02 pm »
with 31 percent saying they are not paying attention yet to the race....

Only 31%???

Offline endicom

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2017, 12:00:37 am »

...solid-red Texas.

...more Texans disapprove of the job Trump is doing than approve, 54 percent to 42 percent. Opinions are sharply divided along party lines: 85 percent of Republicans approve of his performance, while 86 percent of Democrats disapprove......

Does not compute.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2017, 12:07:01 am »
President Bush even, for a short time, was upside-down in approval in Texas, but Texas still has moved further right.

There is a misnomer that supporting a 'R' President means moving red and saying you don't support what he is doing is moving blue.

I disapprove of steaks cooked well done with catsup on it, that doesn't mean I'm becoming vegetarian.

And there is no way Castro is gaining ground on Cruz. Even with demographic changes, a lot of Hispanics are die-hard Catholics, pro-life, and 2nd Amendment supporters and immigration won't be the only issue they vote on.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 12:07:29 am by AbaraXas »

Online libertybele

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2017, 12:29:31 am »

Does not compute.
Only if the sample is skewed to contain more democraps.

Offline endicom

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2017, 12:39:38 am »
Only if the sample is skewed to contain more democraps.

Yup.

If Texas is solidly red (Republican) then there must be many more Republicans than Democrats. So, if 85% of the larger group approves and 86% of the smaller group disapproves then there should be a net approval.

Online corbe

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2017, 01:07:13 am »
   SEN. Cruz has been a Bulldog his first 4 years, shutting the GOV down, calling McConnell a LIAR in the WELL, coming in a respectful 2nd in that CF they called a primary, Texas will definitely keep this Guy, no contest for any DEM.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Just_Victor

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2017, 01:17:37 am »

Does not compute.

If you oversample democRATs by about 20% the numbets work out about like that.
If all I want is a warm feeling, I should just wet my pants.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2017, 01:52:11 am »
   SEN. Cruz has been a Bulldog his first 4 years, shutting the GOV down, calling McConnell a LIAR in the WELL, coming in a respectful 2nd in that CF they called a primary, Texas will definitely keep this Guy, no contest for any DEM.

Ted Cruz is more popular than ever.  I don't think he has to worry.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2017, 02:19:10 am »
If you oversample democRATs by about 20% the numbets work out about like that.

You can buy a poll that says anything you want.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2017, 02:30:22 am »
This poll looks like a bucket of garbage. What a stellar thing to post.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2017, 03:17:49 am »

Poll:  .  .  .  Ted Cruz is losing to Democratic rival Castro

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline JannTosh

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2017, 03:54:25 am »
also heard Texas was supposed to turn blue in the last election

Online libertybele

« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2017, 10:04:01 am »
also heard Texas was supposed to turn blue in the last election

The DEMS would like nothing more than to turn TX blue...not saying that the poll is accurate or not skewed only posting what Lyceum is reporting and the story/poll was picked up by "The Hill" and others.

geronl

« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2017, 11:19:15 am »
The DEMS would like nothing more than to turn TX blue...not saying that the poll is accurate or not skewed only posting what Lyceum is reporting and the story/poll was picked up by "The Hill" and others.

There are still Trumpers that hate Cruz, that still believe the lies and slime of the primaries, that can't forgive Ted for running against their new God.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2017, 03:25:53 pm »
About The Texas Lyceum
The Texas Lyceum, a non-profit, non-partisan group is the premier statewide leadership organization focused on identifying the next generation of top Texas leaders. The Lyceum consists of 96 men and women from throughout the state who begin their six- year term while under the age of 46, andhave demonstrated leadership in their community and profession, together with a deep commitment to Texas. For more information, please visit www.texaslyceum.org. The Texas Lyceum is on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/texaslyceum and on Twitter @TexasLyceum http://twitter.com/texaslyceum

http://www.texaslyceum.org/news/3382850

This polling organization sounds like they could have a bit of an editorial slant, navigating around their website.  They look Democrat-sympathetic to me but that shouldn't matter too much in polling.  They claim a history back to 1980 but it's hard to find much on them before 2012.

http://www.texaslyceum.org/Resources/Documents/TEXAS%20LYCEUM%20POLL/2012-Executive%20Summary%2010-1-12.pdf

In 2012, Immigration as top concern by 16%? I'd like to know their methodology.

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2017, 03:43:22 pm »
There are still Trumpers that hate Cruz, that still believe the lies and slime of the primaries, that can't forgive Ted for running against their new God.
Especially the ones that crow the loudest about Cruz being their guy at first.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2017, 03:49:01 pm »

Good grief, give it a rest already.  Get some new material.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2017, 06:43:04 pm »

Oh yeah, the Cruzer Never Trumpers abandoned the unborn in their zeal, they are really impressive.

@Idaho_Cowboy

Trump voters take a victory lap for supporting the right to life.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2017, 06:48:15 pm »

The pro-life side is my first concern.  So, don't think one is impressing others by saying they did not vote to help the unborn.

What you are saying shows how wrapped up some are in the individual and that starts to sound cultish.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2017, 06:48:55 pm »

And obviously, there are Cruzers who hate Trump.

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2017, 06:51:57 pm »
The pro-life side is my first concern.  So, don't think one is impressing others by saying they did not vote to help the unborn.

What you are saying shows how wrapped up some are in the individual and that starts to sound cultish.
Maybe you've missed the due credit I've given Trump and Pence for their work. Not sure why you stopped in for a boot fitting session, but help yourself.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline TomSea

« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2017, 07:39:46 pm »
Maybe you've missed the due credit I've given Trump and Pence for their work. Not sure why you stopped in for a boot fitting session, but help yourself.
@Idaho_Cowboy

I had this argument last time concerning Romney, a lot of people didn't want to vote for him but IF, and it is a big IF, one's first concern is about the Right to Life, one is going to vote GOP, pro-life organizations endorse a candidate, organizations like Planned Parenthood endorse someone. Thankfully, extreme-abortion-choice politicians like Hillary were not elected. That should be as clear as the old church bell on Sunday morning.

Anyway, Romney is a side-issue and we need not get into that. That was just an example.