Author Topic: Call Congress back! House Democratic leader Nancy Pelosi demands an early end to lawmakers' Easter holiday so they can debate Trump's posturing toward North Korea  (Read 1028 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Call Congress back! House Democratic leader Nancy Pelosi demands an early end to lawmakers' Easter holiday so they can debate Trump's posturing toward North Korea

A report said Trump could take pre-preemptive action in North Korea
    Pelosi told House Speaker Paul Ryan that he must bring Congress back for debate and classified briefings on the matter
    Ryan's office said there are no plans to cut the two-week recess short
    White House officials swatted down the report immediately as Washington tried to deescalate tension
    North Korea says it will act if it feels threatened by the United States
    Vice President Mike Pence is headed to South Korea this weekend in solidarity

By Francesca Chambers, White House Correspondent For Dailymail.com

Published: 12:00 EDT, 14 April 2017 | Updated: 13:28 EDT, 14 April 2017

House Democratic leader Nancy Pelosi is demanding an early end to Congress' two-week recess so lawmakers can discuss Donald Trump's military posturing before he strikes again.

Responding to a report that said President Donald Trump could take pre-preemptive action in North Korea, Pelosi told House Speaker Paul Ryan he must bring Congress back for debate and classified briefings.

'The President’s escalation in Syria and his saber-rattling on North Korea demand serious and immediate Congressional scrutiny,' she said in a Thursday evening letter.

more
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4412264/Pelosi-demands-early-end-holiday-debate-Korea.html
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
She does realize that the President (any president) has no need for Congress' permission as far as North Korean action goes, right?

The war never ended.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Pelosi is a goofy, crazy, old lady, and I'm not sure that anyone in D.C. takes her seriously. But, what if they did come back early? So what? What would they do? Debate and briefings to what end? There is no point, you loony dingbat.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 11:17:33 pm by 240B »
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Online libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
I'm sure she's not taking an Easter recess and will be the keeping the lights on.   :silly:
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Online corbe

I say Call them Back, the Dems can talk about $hit like Trump/N Korea and Trump/Russia and the Republicans can work on the 'Repeal and Replacement' of obumercare, their getting closer to that goal, if the latest press reports are any indication.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Hondo69

• The more I know the less I understand
   I say Call them Back, the Dems can talk about $hit like Trump/N Korea and Trump/Russia and the Republicans can work on the 'Repeal and Replacement' of obumercare, their getting closer to that goal, if the latest press reports are any indication.

I agree.  Not to mention there's a little old thing called the government shutdown looming right around the corner.

----

And I'm still waiting for an explanation about the 'Repeal and Replacement' of obumercare.  The idea was to "Repeal" the damned thing, so "Repeal" it.  Get government out of the healthcare business.

Somewhere along the line "Repeal" became "Repeal and Replace".  It kind of reminds me of the Iraq war where somewhere along the line the war turned into nation building.  Two separate animals.  Don't make the mistake of thinking one automatically leads to the other.

Offline Suppressed

The war never ended.

What war, @EC?

The war never started.  Remember, Harry S. Truman called it a "police action".
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Wingnut

Go hide your Easter Eggs Nan and tack a long nap on the basket grass.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
True. Yet the justification Truman used was never rescinded or countermanded by congress (It seems lack of spine regarding the powers of the congressional branch isn't a recent event). It's still active to this day - it's the foundation for keeping US troops in South Korea. Therefore - no congressional permission needed.

It's nice when the Dems screw themselves over.

Offline Hondo69

An interesting side note to history - the 38th parallel.

It was chosen almost at random, had no historical significance and was selected by a few military wonks on the ground at the time.  Their primary reason for choosing the 38th parallel was that maps being used by both sides happened to include that line, therefore it was a handy point of reference.  That was early on when fighting was relatively minor compared to what would come later.

Only later, after all hell broke loose, did that initial selection of the 38th parallel come to hold real significance as the border between North and South Korea.

Offline Gov Bean Counter

Call Congress back! House Democratic leader Nancy Pelosi demands an early end to lawmakers' Easter holiday so they can debate Trump's posturing toward North Korea

A report said Trump could take pre-preemptive action in North Korea
    Pelosi told House Speaker Paul Ryan that he must bring Congress back for debate and classified briefings on the matter
    Ryan's office said there are no plans to cut the two-week recess short
    White House officials swatted down the report immediately as Washington tried to deescalate tension
    North Korea says it will act if it feels threatened by the United States
    Vice President Mike Pence is headed to South Korea this weekend in solidarity

By Francesca Chambers, White House Correspondent For Dailymail.com

Published: 12:00 EDT, 14 April 2017 | Updated: 13:28 EDT, 14 April 2017

House Democratic leader Nancy Pelosi is demanding an early end to Congress' two-week recess so lawmakers can discuss Donald Trump's military posturing before he strikes again.

Responding to a report that said President Donald Trump could take pre-preemptive action in North Korea, Pelosi told House Speaker Paul Ryan he must bring Congress back for debate and classified briefings.

'The President’s escalation in Syria and his saber-rattling on North Korea demand serious and immediate Congressional scrutiny,' she said in a Thursday evening letter.

more
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4412264/Pelosi-demands-early-end-holiday-debate-Korea.html

Demand in one hand...
Donald Trump - Simple solutions for the simple minded...

Offline Mom MD

Call only Pelosi back.  Let her sit in an empty room and debate herself for a while
God is still in control

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
True. Yet the justification Truman used was never rescinded or countermanded by congress (It seems lack of spine regarding the powers of the congressional branch isn't a recent event). It's still active to this day - it's the foundation for keeping US troops in South Korea. Therefore - no congressional permission needed.

It's nice when the Dems screw themselves over.

Britain had about 100,000 troops involved in the Korean War. What was the legal basis for that?
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
These are major matters; fine with me if they call congress back.

Pelosi doesn't sounds quite a bit better on foreign policy than she does on domestic.

Offline DiogenesLamp

And I'm still waiting for an explanation about the 'Repeal and Replacement' of obumercare.  The idea was to "Repeal" the damned thing, so "Repeal" it.  Get government out of the healthcare business.

Somewhere along the line "Repeal" became "Repeal and Replace".  It kind of reminds me of the Iraq war where somewhere along the line the war turned into nation building.  Two separate animals.  Don't make the mistake of thinking one automatically leads to the other.

Moving the goal posts,   and yes,  this is Trump's doing.    He knows a lot of people want to keep the bennies they got from Obamacare,  and so a lot of congressmen really don't want to deal with disgruntled constituents.   

He's taking this tack because he sees it as politically expedient.   He is not philosophically opposed to big government involvement in people's lives,   he just wants to make some sort of a deal. 

‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Britain had about 100,000 troops involved in the Korean War. What was the legal basis for that?

We did. Look up the battle of Imjin sometime - 600 Gloucesters against 30,000 Chinese. We lost 59 and killed over 10,000, with no reinforcements. Seriously, don't screw with the Royal Army.

As for legal basis - we owed you Yanks. That was pretty much it. Didn't want to sanction China and thereby risk Hong Kong, couldn't afford to let the rebels in the Malay penninsula get reinforced, so extra troops were dispatched to give you a hand.

Offline Applewood

Offline Hondo69

We did. Look up the battle of Imjin sometime - 600 Gloucesters against 30,000 Chinese. We lost 59 and killed over 10,000, with no reinforcements. Seriously, don't screw with the Royal Army.

:patriot:

One of the most amazing, confusing, and eye-opening battles of the war if my memory of the history I've read is correct.  No one expected the Chinese onslaught.  After already pushing back the North Korean army the forces of the United Nations were pretty much doing mop up duty.  Everyone thought it was all over but the crying.  Then came the tsunami of Chinese with their Russian supplied equipment.

Offline BigU

• Dude
Truman should have let MacArthur go into China like he wanted to do. Would've been a very different world today.
BigU

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.