Author Topic: Republicans suddenly sweating election in deep-red Kansas district  (Read 1290 times)

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/327869-pence-stepping-in-to-help-kansas-republican-in-special-election

President Trump won Kansas's 4th District by almost 30 points in November. But Democrats in the district have been energized by the president's low-approval ratings and controversies in his first months in office, leaving Republicans sweating over whether they will be able to hold the seat.

Symbolic race only, but still.

Offline libertybele

Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Re: Republicans suddenly sweating election in deep-red Kansas district
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2017, 07:47:47 am »
http://www.salon.com/2017/04/07/republicans-are-sending-in-ted-cruz-to-salvage-a-kansas-congressional-race-that-should-have-been-a-sure-thing/

The idea that Trump would have an approval in the 30's and it wouldn't affect GOP in other races was pretty foolish IMO. The mental midgets in this forum angrily posted when I pointed that out.

FWIW, I think Trump's numbers will improve after the Syria strike (assuming it doesn't turn out that the raid was based on wrong evidence). But he's a bonehead so he'll blow it again.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2017, 08:50:20 am »
The idea that Trump would have an approval in the 30's and it wouldn't affect GOP in other races was pretty foolish IMO. The mental midgets in this forum angrily posted when I pointed that out.

FWIW, I think Trump's numbers will improve after the Syria strike (assuming it doesn't turn out that the raid was based on wrong evidence). But he's a bonehead so he'll blow it again.

President Trump's actions will definitely have an impact on future GOP races. IMHO it wasn't necessarily Trump's popularity that won him the presidency.  There were two groups of people who voted for him; those who wanted to stop Hillary and hopefully place a conservative on the bench and those who worshiped him. Interestingly, he has delivered to those who voted for him out of necessity and so far has failed to deliver to his 'fan' base.  His attempts at building the wall, repealing Bammycare and restricting immigration from areas of known terrorism have so far been stymied.

He took quick and decisive action in Syria, which so far has been a feather in his cap. War is never popular, but weakening our military and our resolve around the world has proven to be even more unpopular and perhaps President Trump's actions have come too late. I expect retaliation.  I'm just hoping we have the time to increase our military.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2017, 09:10:01 am »
I expect to see a lot more of this.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2017, 09:39:09 am »
I expect to see a lot more of this.
Me, too. It will get worse depending on whether promises real and implied are fulfilled.
The Trump vote was composed of GOP party line voters, Fear of Hillary voters, and pro-Trump voters ranging from tepid to adoring. While the first and more extreme votes in the last category will remain 'safe' votes, The tepid supporters and the 'Fear of Hillary' vote will stay in  play depending on what gets done. I expect candidates will gain or lose support depending on individual credibility and their platform.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2017, 09:55:00 am »
Me, too. It will get worse depending on whether promises real and implied are fulfilled.
The Trump vote was composed of GOP party line voters, Fear of Hillary voters, and pro-Trump voters ranging from tepid to adoring. While the first and more extreme votes in the last category will remain 'safe' votes, The tepid supporters and the 'Fear of Hillary' vote will stay in  play depending on what gets done. I expect candidates will gain or lose support depending on individual credibility and their platform.

I see lots of idiots on twitter threatening to throw Justin Amash out but the vast majority of them are from outside Michigan. He was elected with something like 65% of the vote while openly opposing Trump so he's pretty safe.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2017, 10:01:18 am »
I see lots of idiots on twitter threatening to throw Justin Amash out but the vast majority of them are from outside Michigan. He was elected with something like 65% of the vote while openly opposing Trump so he's pretty safe.
I think a lot will depend on the individual candidate, the voters, of course, and I think there will be more scrutiny after the ACA non vote. Party affiliation (GOP) doesn't necessarily mean what it once did.  If ever the lack of equivalency between being Republican and being Conservative has been emphasized, it has been brought out in the last couple of years.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2017, 11:43:30 am »
How did I know it was The Hill just by reading the headline? Republicans Panic is a recurring theme with them.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline libertybele

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2017, 01:08:32 pm »
How did I know it was The Hill just by reading the headline? Republicans Panic is a recurring theme with them.

I believe there were two seats vacated; one in Georgia and one in Kansas; both should easily go to Republicans.  Either one of those seats turn blue and I believe its a barometer of what's to come.