Author Topic: California Airbnb host banned for naming President Trump as reason to refuse Asian-American guest  (Read 1179 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
California Airbnb host banned for naming President Trump as reason to refuse Asian-American guest
BY Chris Sommerfeldt
NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
Updated: Saturday, April 8, 2017, 12:04 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuZn8iVQbSc

A President Trump-invoking Airbnb host in California has been permanently banned from the short-term rental site for refusing to host an Asian-American woman because of her race.

Dyne Suh, a 25-year-old law school student from Riverside, said in a video posted to YouTube that she was excited to spend Presidents' Day weekend at popular ski resort Big Bear Lake with her boyfriend and their two friends.

Read More At: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/trump-citing-airbnb-host-banned-refusing-asian-american-guest-article-1.3032358

------------

There's no name given of this host who refused them. I am unconvinced on this story but it doesn't appear to be a hoax.

Fox News Coverage so the story is out there: http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2017/04/07/airbnb-bans-trump-supporter-for-canceling-asian-guest-s-reservation.html
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 04:18:02 pm by TomSea »

Offline endicom

If not reading for comprehension you would think the host is a Trump supporter and not the opposite. In any case, the host seems a dunce.

Offline goatprairie

I'll await further information if any emerges.  Undoubtedly, the owner of the rental property located in California must have hosted people of Asian a ancestry before.  The purported comments from the host concerning Trump are confusing. Does she mean the election of Trump allows her to ban people/ethnicities she doesn't like? Or does it mean because Trump is supposedly controlled by foreigners like the woman trying to rent a room,  she won't rent to the woman? I'll confess to being confused about the whole thing. *hmmmm*

Offline endicom

I'll await further information if any emerges.  Undoubtedly, the owner of the rental property located in California must have hosted people of Asian a ancestry before.  The purported comments from the host concerning Trump are confusing. Does she mean the election of Trump allows her to ban people/ethnicities she doesn't like? Or does it mean because Trump is supposedly controlled by foreigners like the woman trying to rent a room,  she won't rent to the woman? I'll confess to being confused about the whole thing. *hmmmm*

Excerpt:

Suh, who was traveling with friends on Presidents’ Day weekend for a trip to Bear Mountain Ski Resort, said the group had parked just minutes away from the location when the host canceled. A news crew from KTLA in the area to cover a severe winter storm then interviewed her, with Suh telling the station the host had confirmed via text that she could add two people to the original reservation. Suh said the booking went awry when she followed up as the group got closer.

“If you think four people and two dogs ate [sic] getting a room fir [sic] $50 a night on Big Bear mountain during the busiest weekend of the year … You are insanely high,” the host said, according to screenshots.

http://nypost.com/2017/04/07/its-why-we-have-trump-airbnb-host-turns-away-asian-guest/

Offline endicom

Excerpts:

"By the grace of God," Suh said in a Facebook comment, there was a crew from KTLA 5 News that happened to be parked near them on the mountain while covering the winter storm. They interviewed Suh.

>

She currently is enrolled in the Critical Race Studies Program at the UCLA School of Law.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/airbnb-host-banned-guest-cancelled-dyne-suh-trump-supporter-acism-last-minute-a7673696.html

Offline mountaineer

Airbnb is pushing gay marriage in Australia. The company also has bashed the so-called Trump travel ban.

If they weren't political, I might consider using the service.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Excerpt from the same Independent story:

Suh said she was shocked, then protested, telling the host that she had screenshots of their earlier messages showing she had agreed to the reservation changes.

"Go ahead. I wouldn't rent to u if you were the last person on earth," the host wrote back to Suh. "One word says it all. Asian"

One thing about this story - every article on it has been identical. Not just similar but almost word for word.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Adding another thought:

This happened in February. A TV crew were right there, per the story. Why'd it not run until last week?

Offline mountaineer

Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline endicom

Tailored news may be more correct. Lying by omission in this case.

But the host was a dumass, at the least.

Offline endicom

http://kevin-anderson.com/los-angeles-what-is-marxist-humanism-today/

Initiating the discussion:

– Mansoor M., Iranian cultural worker
– Melissa S., Chicana feminist
– Dyne Suh, progressive legal observer
– Kevin Anderson, author of Marx at the Margins
« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 01:56:05 pm by endicom »

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.

Tailored news may be more correct. Lying by omission in this case.

But the host was a dumass, at the least.

Agree on both counts.

Have to admit, for once it was fairly subtly done.

Offline TomSea

:nono:

It's been reported all over. It apparently happened.

Offline TomSea

One thing strikes me, is that Trump has hotels all over apparently, so, at least based on nationality, one could never be turned away.

On the other hand,  it's a trivial story.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
:nono:

It's been reported all over. It apparently happened.

May I correct you slightly, my friend? It's being repeated all over. Hence my comment that all the stories are virtually identical, down to the wording used. If it was being reported, you'd expect more variance - reporters, even good ones, have their own biases that come out in the writing.