Author Topic: US probing: Did Russia take part in chem weapons attack? - Associated Press  (Read 771 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
US probing: Did Russia take part in chem weapons attack?
 Associated Press   By JULIE PACE, VIVIAN SALAMA and LOLITA C. BALDOR, Associated Press

PALM BEACH, Fla. — The United States is looking into whether Russia participated in the Syrian chemical weapons attack that provoked President Donald Trump's airstrikes against the Assad government, a revelation that could have dramatic implications for relations between Washington and Moscow.

On Friday, senior U.S. military officials said a drone belonging to either Russia or Syria was seen hovering over the site of the chemical weapons attack after the assault earlier this week. Russia is one of Syria's most important patrons and has long resisted U.S. efforts to push President Bashar Assad from power.

Even as Trump advisers insisted that Thursday night's U.S. missile strike did not mark a significant shift in American policy, he called on other nations to help "end the slaughter and bloodshed in Syria."

Continued: http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/us-probing-did-russia-take-part-in-chem-weapons-attack/ar-BBzvA6V

A Russian Drone May Have Turned Off Its Camera Right Before A Syrian Hospital Was Bombed

US military officials tell BuzzFeed News it may have been a Russian plane that struck the hospital treating victims of Tuesday’s chemical attack, after watching the building closely via drone.
Posted on April 7, 2017, at 4:43 p.m.
Nancy A. Youssef

WASHINGTON — US officials suspect that Russia operated a drone and military aircraft that surveyed and struck a Syrian hospital treating victims of the chemical attack that prompted US airstrikes on a Syrian airfield days later, two US officials told BuzzFeed News on Friday.

Military officials suspect that someone turned off the camera onboard the Russian unmanned drone just before the strike on the hospital Tuesday, effectively turning a blind eye to the attack. The officials did not make clear how the US was able to determine when the drone’s camera was recording.

The assessment that Russia may have been behind the hospital attack, if accurate, would be the first evidence that Russian pilots stationed in Syria may have been aware of the attack carried out by Syrian planes.

Continued: https://www.buzzfeed.com/nancyyoussef/a-russian-drone-may-have-turned-off-its-camera-right-before?utm_term=.mfYNLD7bZ#.fya3NBY5a

Not sure what to make of this; but this seems to be going along the lines, as discussed at the UN, that Russia could be involved and this would really turn this controversy on its head and would be some twist to this story. Now, we are talking about drones as well.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 10:50:36 am by TomSea »

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
More likely it's Buzzfeed doing it's usual "Make shit up for clicks."
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline TomSea

More likely it's Buzzfeed doing it's usual "Make shit up for clicks."

Then, I guess UN Ambassador Nikki Haley must have been making up stuff for clicks at the UN. Because this is along the lines they are talking about that. You will find a lot in the news that is talking about the Russians connection to this airstrike.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 11:07:26 am by TomSea »

Offline TomSea

Found another story on this since indeed this is being reported around in the media.

Offline TomSea

US Looks at Russia’s Role in Syria’s Nerve-Gas Attack
http://www.voanews.com/a/us-looks-at-russias-role-in-syria-gas-attack/3801859.html

US looking at possibility of Russian role in chemical attacks that led to Syria missile strikes
https://www.stripes.com/us-looking-at-possibility-of-russian-role-in-chemical-attacks-that-led-to-syria-missile-strikes-1.462380#.WOjDzbj8pVI

See, they are talking about what the buzzfeed article seemed to discuss and what seems to have been discussed at the UN,

Which sounds like looking the other way when these barrel bombs with gas were involved. Acquiescence.

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
I thought I knew what I thought about this. Not so sure now. What did the Pentagon know and when did they know it?

@LonestarDream

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
Not sure what to make of this; but this seems to be going along the lines, as discussed at the UN, that Russia could be involved and this would really turn this controversy on its head and would be some twist to this story. Now, we are talking about drones as well.

Posting two articles in one topic seems to tempt some to change the headline and makes it difficult to follow the thread.

Just sayin'

@TomSea
@EC

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Got to admit, I prefer this headline to the first one. Buzzfeed is not exactly stellar in it's reputation on the best of days.

However, I trust Tom completely - he finds good stuff for the World News section, always checks for duplicates, and posts followups. A lot of days if I'm busy, he IS the world news section. If he edits a post of his, I assume he has a very good reason to do so.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink