Author Topic: The Grand Old Banana Republic  (Read 404 times)

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
The Grand Old Banana Republic
« on: April 05, 2017, 06:44:08 pm »
The Grand Old Banana Republic

Name the country that I am describing: A popular political figure rises to power in the midst of a contentious period of division. He espouses great aspirations and represents a break with a past mired in corruption, deceit, and war. Upon assuming power, this leader expands the size and scope of the government—aggregating ever greater power to himself—all in the name of “saving” the country. Meanwhile, the country’s debt is exploding on wasteful spending and its currency is increasingly devalued. Even still, the rich get richer and the poor get poorer. The middle-class, such as it was, contracts precipitously as citizens are increasingly forced to depend upon government handouts in a seemingly endless cycle.

The once popular leader is quickly beset by scandal. Soon, charges of corruption and cronyism are lobbed against the leader and his apparatchiks. The government is used to spy on its own citizens, targets political opponents, and bails out failing industries that are supportive of the leader and his political party. Oh, and the country engages in increasing levels of ill-conceived warfare abroad. Meanwhile, economic freedom in the country plummets to all-time lows. The government then misuses its power to enforce unpopular edicts that are anathema to the country’s constitution.

Excerpt: Much more at link.  https://amgreatness.com/2017/04/04/grand-old-banana-republic/
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

geronl

Re: The Grand Old Banana Republic
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2017, 06:56:38 pm »
Sounds like the answer is "a lot of countries"