Author Topic: First Lady Melania Trump Gets Her First Official Portrait  (Read 8108 times)

Silver Pines

Re: First Lady Melania Trump Gets Her First Official Portrait
« Reply #50 on: April 04, 2017, 05:40:23 pm »
Here is the photographer's other work. This is out of style both in retouching and posing for him.
http://mahaux.com/portraits-2/

@AbaraXas

You're right, it is.  Maybe she requested it.  He does good work, IMO.

Isn't that Melania about halfway down the page, in the blue fishtail dress?

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #51 on: April 04, 2017, 05:44:21 pm »
@AbaraXas

You're right, it is.  Maybe she requested it.  He does good work, IMO.

Isn't that Melania about halfway down the page, in the blue fishtail dress?

yes, at that, it looks like he has done a lot of work with their family

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #52 on: April 04, 2017, 06:02:53 pm »
I don't know about her being a role model, but I agree, the blue outfit she wore was great.  I was looking forward to seeing more of her clothing choices, but she had to take off for NYC.

You must have been very busy @CatherineofAragon --- Here are a few of the FLOTUS' clothing choices you must have missed. Enjoy!

Offline ABX

« Reply #53 on: April 04, 2017, 06:04:19 pm »
I'm having a discussion in a photography forum about this and the question is coming up if the photographer likes Ms. Trump. The pose is cold, it is over-processed (as mentioned upthread), the setting isn't good, and one key element that professionals are frustrated with, her eyes are out of focus. Compare that to the official portraits of Ms. Bush and Ms. Obama. Don't think about what you feel about the person politically, just look at some of the elements we discussed in regards to posing, realism of the look, the setting, etc.

Silver Pines

« Reply #54 on: April 04, 2017, 06:14:36 pm »
You must have been very busy @CatherineofAragon --- Here are a few of the FLOTUS' clothing choices you must have missed. Enjoy!

Thanks, @Right_in_Virginia.  I've seen some of those, but not the hot pink dress (love it, and the shoes) or the a cap-sleeved black short dress. 

I love the structure of the black belted suit.  And it seems she knows to not wear bright white shoes with a white suit, which is kind of refreshing.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #55 on: April 04, 2017, 06:20:37 pm »
Compare that to the official portraits of Ms. Bush and Ms. Obama. Don't think about what you feel about the person politically, just look at some of the elements we discussed in regards to posing, realism of the look, the setting, etc.

Trumps looks modern and hip compared to those two. Bush and Wookies pics look like something your grandmother submits to the funeral home for the Mass Card.

Silver Pines

« Reply #56 on: April 04, 2017, 06:25:48 pm »
Trumps looks modern and hip compared to those two. Bush and Wookies pics look like something your grandmother submits to the funeral home for the Mass Card.

@Frank Cannon

I always thought Laura Bush was sort of dumpy when it came to what she wore.  And her eyes are crazy.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #57 on: April 04, 2017, 06:31:00 pm »

I like the Laura Bush portrait.  She is an extremely pretty woman who dresses well and knows her own style. 
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline ABX

« Reply #58 on: April 04, 2017, 06:38:42 pm »

That is definitely not modern or hip. From a technical perspective and when this was in style, it is more like 1980s Glamor Shots.

Modern and hip right now for formal portraits and headshots fall into two categories.

1. Strong balanced light, very natural look with strong eye catch light. 'Laughing' expression. Example:

2. Natural light, strong backlighting.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #59 on: April 04, 2017, 06:43:03 pm »
That is definitely not modern or hip. From a technical perspective

And right there is your problem. Most people look at the Trump photo and say it looks fine. 99.9 percent of people do not even own cameras anymore. They have a pic app on their phone.

Offline ABX

« Reply #60 on: April 04, 2017, 06:54:04 pm »
And right there is your problem. Most people look at the Trump photo and say it looks fine. 99.9 percent of people do not even own cameras anymore. They have a pic app on their phone.

But this isn't going on Instagram or Facebook. This is an official portrait for the White House and the National Portrait Gallery that will be inscribed in history.

Online libertybele

« Reply #61 on: April 04, 2017, 06:55:28 pm »
Thanks, @Right_in_Virginia.  I've seen some of those, but not the hot pink dress (love it, and the shoes) or the a cap-sleeved black short dress. 

I love the structure of the black belted suit.  And it seems she knows to not wear bright white shoes with a white suit, which is kind of refreshing.

She wears them all well; the little black dress looks great on her.  I would love to know her secret to wearing heels that high.  She wore the same height for quite awhile at the inauguration and for the long walk to Capitol Hill; and she seemed to walk in them with ease.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

« Reply #62 on: April 04, 2017, 06:57:29 pm »

Welcome!  @CatherineofAragon

Online libertybele

« Reply #63 on: April 04, 2017, 06:57:44 pm »
I like the Laura Bush portrait.  She is an extremely pretty woman who dresses well and knows her own style.

Yes, I've always thought Laura was a beautiful woman; always looking put together and dignified. 
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline ABX

« Reply #64 on: April 04, 2017, 07:00:06 pm »

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #65 on: April 04, 2017, 07:03:24 pm »
But this isn't going on Instagram or Facebook. This is an official portrait for the White House and the National Portrait Gallery that will be inscribed in history.

Yes, where 99.9% of people viewing it will see no problem. Only the .1% of you in the Wedding Photographers Union Local 866 will be dissatisfied.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #66 on: April 04, 2017, 07:05:38 pm »
She wears them all well; the little black dress looks great on her.  I would love to know her secret to wearing heels that high.  She wore the same height for quite awhile at the inauguration and for the long walk to Capitol Hill; and she seemed to walk in them with ease.

Wife wears 3" heels like that all day every day. She said it's just practice.  :shrug:
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

« Reply #67 on: April 04, 2017, 07:05:39 pm »
I'm having a discussion in a photography forum about this and the question is coming up if the photographer likes Ms. Trump. The pose is cold, it is over-processed (as mentioned upthread), the setting isn't good, and one key element that professionals are frustrated with, her eyes are out of focus.

Will it help you to lighten up a bit @AbaraXas to remember that Melania chose the picture?  She likes it, and she's been in front of the camera for years.   Technical dissection aside, it's a beautiful picture.  Maybe we could let this go.  :shrug:

« Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 07:06:23 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #68 on: April 04, 2017, 07:10:48 pm »

You gotta do it to do it. Can't just wear them for an hour at a wedding. My wife wears heels all the time for everything and doesn't care. She also gets irrationally catty when she sees broads running around in gym clothes as an outfit, but that's another matter.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #69 on: April 04, 2017, 07:10:54 pm »
Yes, where 99.9% of people viewing it will see no problem. Only the .1% of you in the Wedding Photographers Union Local 866 will be dissatisfied.

How about the ?% of trump haters? 

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #70 on: April 04, 2017, 07:12:17 pm »
You gotta do it to do it. Can't just wear them for an hour at a wedding. My wife wears heels all the time for everything and doesn't care. She also gets irrationally catty when she sees broads running around in gym clothes as an outfit, but that's another matter.

I know.  My husband would have killed to get me to wear high heels.  He bought them for me all the time.  I just couldn't do it...except for an hour or so to make him happy occasionally.

Silver Pines

« Reply #71 on: April 04, 2017, 07:14:44 pm »

@libertybele

Practice, lol.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #72 on: April 04, 2017, 07:18:30 pm »
I know.  My husband would have killed to get me to wear high heels.  He bought them for me all the time.  I just couldn't do it...except for an hour or so to make him happy occasionally.

LOL. You racy woman you. His problem was that he wasn't buying expensive enough stuff for you. If you buy a woman Jimmy Choo or Louboutins, they ain't letting them sit in the closet. They want all their friends to see them.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #73 on: April 04, 2017, 07:55:22 pm »
@Frank Cannon

I always thought Laura Bush was sort of dumpy when it came to what she wore.  And her eyes are crazy.

You are such a little yapper.  Laura Bush is a beautiful woman who makes no attempt to be a glamour girl.  That is not her style.  And 'her eyes are crazy?'

You are weird.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #74 on: April 04, 2017, 08:18:29 pm »

She's so pretty, wish I knew what makeup and hair secrets.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️