Author Topic: NYT....In Major Defeat for Trump, Push to Repeal Health Law Fails  (Read 7188 times)

Silver Pines

Re: NYT....In Major Defeat for Trump, Push to Repeal Health Law Fails
« Reply #75 on: March 26, 2017, 12:53:19 am »
   Tell us how you really feel @CatherineofAragon don't hold back.

@corbe

Overkill?  *sigh*

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #76 on: March 26, 2017, 01:19:04 am »
I went to the doc last week.  He ordered a ridiculous amount of tests that had nothing to do with the reason I went in there.  When I piped up that I an uninsured, he backtracked and said I don't really need any of those tests, wrote me a script, I paid a greatly reduced rate bill and left. 

I was livid when we lost our insurance when 0care was initiated.  Now we pay much less than when we had insurance.  Not much more than my copays were without paying the premiums.  Of course if a catastrophic illness occurs, we will be in trouble.  Catastrophic-only insurance cannot be purchased due to 0care.
I had catastrophic insurance, with a 5K deductible per event. I was happy with that, put the max in the MSA annually, and paid the small stuff out of that account for a family of 4 and did it for less than 1/3 of what the Cadillac plan would have cost, not counting deductibles and co-pays. Being self-employed, the insurance cost was tax deductible, and the MSA payments were, too, so long as distributions were used only for medical costs. It worked. Thanks to the ACA, my insurer stopped writing health care policies, period. I'd love to be able to go back to that.

As far as I am concerned, just make medical costs tax deductible, from the first bottle of aspirin up. That alone would have done wonders, that and getting rid of the penalty.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #77 on: March 26, 2017, 01:28:03 am »
@bigheadfred

People with Obamacare do not have health insurance - they have a piece of paper and a card causing them to pay thousands in premiums with a deductible so high they have to pay for all their healthcare.  That piece of paper and their insurance card is worthless unless they get cancer or numerous heart attacks.  Even then, they would not have that much money - having to pay the multiple thousands before the insurance would kick in and then they have to pay 20% of the rest of the bills after it kicks in.

Democrats know this is crap but it allows them to say anyone can have healthcare now.  That of course, is a lie.  People just have a piece of paper and a card.
QFT!

Democrats have been scamming poor people and other gullibles for far too long as it is. With the exception of people who have serious  and ongoing medical problems, the obamacare policies don't make economic sense. It just leaves people paying out of pocket with the illusion they have 'insurance', while they are picking up the tab for chronic patients who might not have otherwise been able to get insurance. For the average person, it would have been better to just kick in another grand a year in taxes and keep what they had.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #78 on: March 26, 2017, 01:32:50 am »
The RINO's aren't getting the blame for those.
Oh really? Look around here. They took it up, they own it now, their little paw prints are all over it. Aside from being true, that will be the optic the MSM gleefully promotes as well. (Along with Trump/Failure, of course.)

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #79 on: March 26, 2017, 01:35:36 am »
But even with them propping up the economy in the last eight years we still had one of the worst recoveries.
Small wonder. Billions of that money were siphoned off somewhere, sent out in 'community grants' to ACORN offshoots, and the like. A friend who lived in the Denver area said the signs went up proclaiming the stimulus-financed road project in the spring, and came down in the fall, and that was all the road project there was. Signs up/signs down, no road work. God only knows how much money went where, but it didn't go to jobs--not even public works.

C S Lewis

Online DB

« Reply #80 on: March 26, 2017, 01:45:41 am »
@Emjay

You're right.  I don't have to like him.  And Hillary Clinton is history, out of the picture, old news---she has nothing to do with anything.  Same for Obama, pretty much.

We should be forming our opinions on Trump based on the man himself, and no one else.  And the bottom line is this:  he campaigned on repealing Obamacare, but he lied.  He doesn't give a damn about the American people or what kind of nightmarish healthcare system we might have to deal with---all that matters to him is a "win" in his column.  He didn't get it, so he wants to move on, like some kind of dime store monarch with bad hair plugs.  But that's not how it works.  He's a public employee, and he'll deal with whatever bills are put in front of him.

No one posting on an internet forum can "destroy" Trump.  He can only do that to himself.

I think he's a liar, a fraud, and a con man.  Nothing more.

I'm going to have to disagree on a point. Trump campaigned on forcing coverage of preexisting conditions which negates anything called insurance which is risk based. Second Trump said that for the "25%" who can't afford health insurance the "government is going to pay for it". With those two things Obamacare can't be repealed because there is no market based solution possible to replace it. So in short, Trump got exactly what he asked for out of Ryan.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 01:46:47 am by DB »

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #81 on: March 26, 2017, 01:52:21 am »
I had catastrophic insurance, with a 5K deductible per event. I was happy with that, put the max in the MSA annually, and paid the small stuff out of that account for a family of 4 and did it for less than 1/3 of what the Cadillac plan would have cost, not counting deductibles and co-pays. Being self-employed, the insurance cost was tax deductible, and the MSA payments were, too, so long as distributions were used only for medical costs. It worked. Thanks to the ACA, my insurer stopped writing health care policies, period. I'd love to be able to go back to that.

My COBRA coverage recently ran out, and to buy insurance I had to go through the multi-billion dollar gov't website to get approval.  I picked up what I would consider catastrophic insurance, which is all I really want anyway, at about 40% less than what I was paying for COBRA (which was probably a pretty decent plan, if you actually used health care).

I am NOT advocating for gov't interference with free markets, just pointing out that you may be able to find what you want if you look.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #82 on: March 26, 2017, 02:30:00 am »
   No upside in destroying Trump and I wonder what's the upside to degenerating people that just don't feel as strongly about him as you do.

Sure, there are still some here that make their #nevertrump boldly visible and there are also those that can find no wrong in him no matter what, It balances out pretty well, providing for oftentimes passionate and informed debate here.

Well, hah, I don't like Trump at all. I fought tooth and nail against him in the primary but, hello, we lost and he is now our president.

I want him to succeed ... he's gonna make mistakes but his general goals are in line with what most of us want. 

There was a picture yesterday of Schumer and Pelosi standing together, grinning like possums because they thought they'd scored a glorious victory since the health care bill didn't pass.

I do not want to see any more pictures of Schumer and Pelosi grinning like possums.  Hillary was happy as a clown also.

I'm not responsible for Trump's personal idiosyncracies and failings and I don't accept responsibility for that because I support him.  I support him because he's the only Republican president we have and if he can succeed, it will be a good thing for us and for conservatives.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Online corbe

« Reply #83 on: March 26, 2017, 02:38:45 am »
   @Emjay I have to admit, I was smiling like a Cheshire cat too, yesterday when the bill was pulled and therein lies our basic political differences in outlooks toward Trump, I was happy because that crap was defeated NOT because Trump didn't get a check in the win column.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #84 on: March 26, 2017, 02:40:09 am »
There is no upside to it.  The idiot left wins in that case.  Lose-lose scenario.

Thank you, XenaLee.  When I mention Hillary, there are way too many people around here who dismiss me .... like ... she's old news; anyone could have beaten her;; etc.

I have challenged people who constantly diss Trump here to tell me the upside in Trump being discredited to the point of somehow losing the presidency.  I've gotten some reasonable thoughts but yours is the only answer I agree with.

I saw gloating yesterday from the dregs of society, the worst of the worst because Trump couldn't get his health care bill passed.

Can you even imagine the gloating if the left with the help of people who 'just can't stand' Trump manage to destroy him. 

Personally, I think it is self-indulgent among a lot of our good people here who take joy in proclaiming how superior they are to Trump ... and, by the way, they probably are ... but they are not president.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #85 on: March 26, 2017, 02:44:36 am »
   @Emjay I have to admit, I was smiling like a Cheshire cat too, yesterday when the bill was pulled and therein lies our basic political differences in outlooks toward Trump, I was happy because that crap was defeated NOT because Trump didn't get a check in the win column.

The plan was horrible.  Especially for seniors.  I was so glad they pulled it.

Why would we want to worse socialized medical plan that still covers illegals?
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #86 on: March 26, 2017, 02:46:41 am »

I thought getting the illegals off the teat and back across the border was a priority, anyway. Why leave incentives in place? Patch 'em up, if need be, then put them on the next bus/plane/train/boat out.

C S Lewis

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #87 on: March 26, 2017, 02:50:51 am »

@corbe @Chosen Daughter

Dammit it, nobody understands me.  I need my dog.  I didn't like the bill either and I don't mind Corbe grinning because he's cute when he grins.

I'm talking about calling the whole Trump administration a failure after 60 days and one ill-advised bill that failed.

Online corbe

« Reply #88 on: March 26, 2017, 02:57:44 am »
   I just told @truth_seeker that Trump's done some good things in his 60+ days, in spite of only having 50%, or less, of his political appointees seated and I don't overlook his serious character flaws, I realize he's all, we as a nation have right now, failure is not an option here, there's to much at stake.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.