Author Topic: Mark Cuban: Amend U.S. Constitution to Make Healthcare a Right  (Read 23500 times)

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Re: Mark Cuban: Amend U.S. Constitution to Make Healthcare a Right
« Reply #200 on: March 23, 2017, 01:16:46 pm »
Moral matters such as this - which are inherently religious in nature - are best addressed by persuasion rather than coercion.    The state is charged with respecting our natural rights to liberty and self-determination,  not usurping them.   Liberty includes the right to make bad choices, even immoral choices.   The task is to appeal to conscience in favor of religious values, not appeal to the state to compel adherence to religious values.

The good news is, persuasion (and education) works.  Abortion is now at its lowest levels since before Roe v. Wade.     
I wonder how all that feel-good persuasion works when the sword of an Islamist is at your throat saying "convert or die"?

Then idealists will die.

I choose to live.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #201 on: March 23, 2017, 02:06:15 pm »
Correct.  I don't ever want to be like you.   Folks like you are what convinced me I had to leave the church to stay true to Christ.

Your disdain for the bible and invective towards biblical Christians more than illustrates the fact you are not true to Christ, His Word, His Teachings or morality itself.

No wonder you left your church.

You are true only to the god of your imagination.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Mod2

« Reply #202 on: March 23, 2017, 02:10:05 pm »
Please stay on topic.

And, remember, some things once said can't be taken back. 

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #203 on: March 23, 2017, 09:35:40 pm »
I don't excuse abortion;  I'm horrified by it.   I understand your perspective,  SJ, and the passion you feel about the millions of potential lives lost to abortion.

But I believe the focus of the pro-life movement should be on saving lives - using persuasion and providing concrete help to women in crisis - rather than the vain task of stuffing genies back in bottles.   
"potential lives"? Genies in bottles? How crass a term for human life. Perhaps some meatbag like yourself prefers to be referred to as five bucks worth of salts and water in a skin sack, but short of posting images of shredded babies, perhaps I can't bring home to you that which you so casually dismiss. These were people, alive, not mythical (Islamic mythical, no less, the djinn) creatures, whose murder was very real, and ongoing. Of course, dehumanizing those to be slaughtered is the method of mass murderers throughout history, so you have adopted a time honored technique.
The choice right has existed as part of the Constitution for over forty years now.
It may be case law, but if you can't quote Article, section, or Amendment, it is not part of The Constitution.  It is a badly crafted judicial decision, a decree, and the antithesis of an unalienable right. No healthy creature in nature would advocate the slaughter of its own offspring.
Not as long as the gun right,
The "gun right", the Right to Keep and Bear Arms, has been an understood facet of self-defense for far longer than our Constitution exists, and that Amendment does not use the word "firearm" of "gun" anywhere, leaving the choice of martial device to the individual. Despite the absence of limitations on that Right, (in fact, codified, a right which "shall not be infringed"), I would wager you and many others of your ilk would gladly place restrictions on the type and effectiveness of the arms to be kept and borne by any individual. With rare exception, all but the most staunch advocates of the RKBA accept limitations to the RKBA.
...to be sure, but long enough - there isn't a woman of child-bearing age who hasn't always had the right to determine for herself whether to procreate.
Correct, and with the exception of acts of force and violence, it has always been thus. There are a host of means by which a woman can avoid procreation, the most effective is abstinence, which faithfully practiced has had only one well documented exception in effect.
Understanding that any other method carries a risk of failure, there have been condoms for centuries, other blocking devices, spermacides, intrauterine devices, tubal ligation/vasectomy, and for at least as long as Roe other means of tricking the body into not accepting the implantation of a fertilized egg, including, but not limited to "the Pill".
All these methods involve no fetal development, no baby to kill, and all have been available, some for a pittance in vending machines, corner drugstores, or in the big-box stores, handed out at free clinics, made available to people interested in not procreating.
   Like it or not, women have been liberated from the patriarchy.
Patriarchy? Where have you been? The hand that rocks the cradle rules the world.   Real women know this and ever have, and have had no illusions about their power. Their Fathers, husbands, brothers and sons have gone forth on their behalf to keep it so.
The genie's long gone.
Is it? Did the little spirit that grants wishes pop out of the bottle? (An interesting metaphor for the birth of a baby, formerly in utero)
Rub it (the lamp) gently, lovingly, hold it, when it comes out tell it your dreams and they will perhaps come true? Such is a child.
Beats the heck out of sticking a fancy coathanger in the bottle and playing mixmaster with the 'genie', which might not get you any wishes granted at all.
Moral matters such as this - which are inherently religious in nature - are best addressed by persuasion rather than coercion.    The state is charged with respecting our natural rights to liberty and self-determination,  not usurping them.
The State is charged with protecting those rights and keeping the exercise of rights by one (especially one more powerful) from infringing on the rights of another (especially one less powerful).

What of the rights of those not yet born (but in utero) to liberty and self-determination?

They are in a situation NOT of their own choosing (Who wouldn't rather be born into a family where they would be a welcome addition and treated as a blessing, rather than have those who carry you literally out for your blood from before your birth).
They have committed no crime, stolen nothing from anyone. By accident or design, their presence is one commanded by the actions of others. Yet they get no 'choice' about living, nor opportunity to choose.
   Liberty includes the right to make bad choices, even immoral choices.
I'll take issue with that. Liberty does not include any right to infringe on the rights of others. It does not include the right to make 'bad moral choices' like stealing, lying, or murder, to name just a few. Nor does Liberty include the 'right' to be free of the consequences of those bad choices--especially at the suffering or death of those who had no choice, who are indeed innocent of any wrongdoing whatsoever.
What religion permits the sacrifice of your offspring for absolution from your 'sins'?

The task is to appeal to conscience in favor of religious values, not appeal to the state to compel adherence to religious values.
But wait. We have laws  against murder, against adultery, against stealing, against perjury, and these laws all reflect religious values (numbers 6,7,8,9 of the Ten Commandments, respectively) Should we repeal those?

Your argument doesn't stand. 
The good news is, persuasion (and education) works.  Abortion is now at its lowest levels since before Roe v. Wade.     
How do you measure the levels before it was decreed legal? Sad that there was a 'murder bubble' at all.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #204 on: March 23, 2017, 11:09:41 pm »
"potential lives"? Genies in bottles?....
What religion permits the sacrifice of your offspring for absolution from your 'sins'?
 But wait. We have laws  against murder, against adultery, against stealing, against perjury, and these laws all reflect religious values (numbers 6,7,8,9 of the Ten Commandments, respectively) Should we repeal those?

Your argument doesn't stand.   How do you measure the levels before it was decreed legal? Sad that there was a 'murder bubble' at all.

All of that was excellent refutation of the time-honored wickedness that JH purveys here on this board.

You are not going to be persuading him of the truth of what you posted (because he outrightly rejects all truth and the Supreme Source of Truth), but just know that those of us reading your evisceration of his inane comments is appreciated.

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Online DB

« Reply #205 on: March 24, 2017, 01:21:17 am »
Outstanding rebuttal Smoken Joe.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #206 on: March 24, 2017, 01:25:27 am »
Thanks!

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #207 on: March 24, 2017, 01:34:27 am »
Moral matters such as this - which are inherently religious in nature - are best addressed by persuasion rather than coercion.   

This isn't a moral discussion.  It is a Constitutional one.  You specifically stated that it was unconstitutional for the members of a society to shape their society by regulating marriage and abortion.  And in response, you were specifically asked to site where in the Constitution those prohibitions could be found.

Yet now it suddenly becomes a moral issue?  Thus, one can only conclude that you are full of it, knowing full well that the Constitution itself plays zero role in your support for abortion and "gay" marriage.  So not only does it make you a hypocrite when it comes to societal self-determination, it also makes you an enemy of the Constitution of the United States since it is to its detriment that your support for the above is based.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 01:35:37 am by Hoodat »
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #208 on: March 24, 2017, 02:18:11 am »
Yet now it suddenly becomes a moral issue?  Thus, one can only conclude that you are full of it, knowing full well that the Constitution itself plays zero role in your support for abortion and "gay" marriage.  So not only does it make you a hypocrite when it comes to societal self-determination, it also makes you an enemy of the Constitution of the United States since it is to its detriment that your support for the above is based.

That needed to be highlighted as the hard, sharp truth of anything anyone has posted in regards to whom you are addressing.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #209 on: March 24, 2017, 02:27:21 am »
This isn't a moral discussion.  It is a Constitutional one.  You specifically stated that it was unconstitutional for the members of a society to shape their society by regulating marriage and abortion.  And in response, you were specifically asked to site where in the Constitution those prohibitions could be found.

Grrrrrr .... it's cite, not site. Sorry, pet peeve. I call that peeve Jim.

The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #210 on: March 24, 2017, 02:41:25 am »

I agree, it was a good rebuttal.

Except, SJ,  that you insist that I'm not on the same side as you.   I think persuasion will do a BETTER JOB of saving lives than coercion.

The problem with coercion is that people will resist it.  The criminalization of abortion has been the pivotal issue that's divided us for 40 years,  split us into warring camps, and led IMO directly to the hyperpartisan clusterflip that is Washington today. 

I am sick of the abortion issue.  I am sick of abortion.   Let's get folks clued in that we're dealing with a soul here.  Lets get folks educated about responsibility and abstinence.   Let's encourage contraception.  Let's encourage adoption.   Let's provide financial support for mothers in crisis.   

But let's not take women's Constitutional rights away.    The fight is too costly - persuasion, not coercion.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 02:45:26 am by Jazzhead »
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #211 on: March 24, 2017, 02:44:14 am »

Sorry about that.  I knew better.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #212 on: March 24, 2017, 02:49:11 am »

Except that you insist that I'm not on the same side as you.   I think persuasion will do a BETTER JOB of saving lives than coercion.

Only a perverted, twisted and wicked mind equivocates Infanticide as a Constitutional Right and that abolishing institutionalized murder as being coercion and 'forcing a woman to reproduce'.  This when you consistently ridicule notions of morality and religion in terms of shaming society into keeping their genitals to themselves unless they are ready to bear the responsibility of raising a family.  That you call intolerance.

We are definitely NOT on the same side as you are on nearly every issue of importance to Conservatism.  You are an enemy of our principles as Hoodat rightly noted.

Online DB

« Reply #213 on: March 24, 2017, 02:49:55 am »

I'm a grammatical wreck... I think its due to drain bamage... I blame my parents (gotta blame somebody)...
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 02:51:16 am by DB »

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #214 on: March 24, 2017, 02:50:09 am »
Sorry about that.  I knew better.

:beer:

You, Joe, and Invar are pretty much speaking for me on all this too.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #215 on: March 24, 2017, 02:51:29 am »
But let's not take women's Constitutional rights away.

Show me where in the Constitution I can find that.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #216 on: March 24, 2017, 02:55:53 am »
Only a perverted, twisted and wicked mind equivocates Infanticide as a Constitutional Right and that abolishing institutionalized murder as being coercion and 'forcing a woman to reproduce'.  This when you consistently ridicule notions of morality and religion in terms of shaming society into keeping their genitals to themselves unless they are ready to bear the responsibility of raising a family.  That you call intolerance.

We are definitely NOT on the same side as you are on nearly every issue of importance to Conservatism.  You are an enemy of our principles as Hoodat rightly noted.

You're so cute when you're angry.   :seeya:

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #217 on: March 24, 2017, 02:56:02 am »
Except, SJ,  that you insist that I'm not on the same side as you.   I think persuasion will do a BETTER JOB of saving lives than coercion.

But let's not take women's Constitutional rights away.    The fight is too costly - persuasion, not coercion.

Let's begin the conservation on 'persuasion' by showing some videos to expectant mothers of how an abortion proceeds.  The way a squirming baby in the womb is denied a right to being born by the incision of a lethal instrument that sucks out its lifeblood, and its tissue is discarded in the trash like a meat butcher would do to remains of his work.

Is that the 'persuasion' conversation you were envisioning?  If not, what do you believe is more effective at eliminating abortion once and for all by 'persuasion'?
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #218 on: March 24, 2017, 03:02:10 am »
Let's begin the conservation on 'persuasion' by showing some videos to expectant mothers of how an abortion proceeds.  The way a squirming baby in the womb is denied a right to being born by the incision of a lethal instrument that sucks out its lifeblood, and its tissue is discarded in the trash like a meat butcher would do to remains of his work.

Is that the 'persuasion' conversation you were envisioning?  If not, what do you believe is more effective at eliminating abortion once and for all by 'persuasion'?

Well, I prefer moral persuasion to forcing young girls to watch splatter films,  but it that's what you think might work, who am I to discourage you?

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #219 on: March 24, 2017, 03:05:28 am »
You're so cute when you're angry.   :seeya:

Wrong again.

Not angry at all.  I love pointing out the truth and calling evil what it is when I see it.

I'm actually laughing at you.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #220 on: March 24, 2017, 03:06:06 am »
Well, I prefer moral persuasion to forcing young girls to watch splatter films,  but it that's what you think might work, who am I to discourage you?

It is disingenuous to fake concern about moral persuasion when you can't even be honest about what the Constitution says.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #221 on: March 24, 2017, 03:07:35 am »
Well, I prefer moral persuasion to forcing young girls to watch splatter films

And what 'moral persuasion' would that be from considering you have referenced the bible as nothing but 'myth' and Christians who attend biblically-based churches as bigots?

Would that be from the god of your imagination?

Online DB

« Reply #222 on: March 24, 2017, 03:20:06 am »

War is real clean and easy when you can have some one else quietly do the dirty work for you, especially when they profit from it and looking for more business, without having to concern yourself with the reality of it.

Being exposed to the actual consequences is the moral persuasion. Those "splatter films" are the real consequences to real children, not some Hollywood production.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #223 on: March 24, 2017, 03:57:18 am »

But here is where you and I differ. I see Roe as coercion. It forced States to permit slaughter by finding a "right" which has never existed.
The problem with coercion is that people will resist it.  The criminalization of abortion has been the pivotal issue that's divided us for 40 years,  split us into warring camps, and led IMO directly to the hyperpartisan clusterflip that is Washington today. 
You have your harness backwards, there, the horse goes in front.
Roe didn't criminalize abortion, for thousands of years people have recognized killing babies in the womb is as wrong as murdering adults with axes, and both were forbidden by law. No one sees laws against axe murderers as coercion.

It was the whole cloth creation of some 'right' to murder children yet to be born that has caused a divide, and if we can't fight for the lives of the helpless among us, we have no moral basis, period.
I am sick of the abortion issue.  I am sick of abortion.   
Fine. help overturn Roe. There are ample adequate means to prevent pregnancy.
Let's get folks clued in that we're dealing with a soul here.
Fifty million souls and counting, not to mention their mothers, fathers, abortion providers, etc. Quit calling murder a 'right' and call it what it is. Stop the slaughter and close the abattoirs.
Lets get folks educated about responsibility and abstinence.   Let's encourage contraception.  Let's encourage adoption.   Let's provide financial support for mothers in crisis.
All of that, I'm all for it, and each of those options is more attractive without the easy out of legalized murder.   
But let's not take women's Constitutional rights away.
Do not, even for one second, even ask me to believe that the framers would see the wholesale slaughter of offspring in the womb as a "Right". Recall, in speaking of unalienable Rights, they put "Life" first? The most fundamental, first and foremost Right. No way they would have considered abortion a "right".

How about the roughly 50% of  those babies, the twenty five million 'women' who will never coo or smile at daddy or the cute kid down the street, never dance at prom,  never hold their own babies because they were deprived of the most fundamental right of all: Life itself?
Don't they have Rights? 
It is in their memory we fight, and for those who will follow if we do not.   
The fight is too costly - persuasion, not coercion.
No fight is too costly if it is for what is right. How often are we told we need to give up this or that because "if it only saves one life, it will be worth it"?  How could a fight to save millions of lives be "too costly"?

C S Lewis

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #224 on: March 24, 2017, 04:42:47 am »
But here is where you and I differ. I see Roe as coercion. It forced States to permit slaughter by finding a "right" which has never existed. You have your harness backwards, there, the horse goes in front.
Roe didn't criminalize abortion, for thousands of years people have recognized killing babies in the womb is as wrong as murdering adults with axes, and both were forbidden by law. No one sees laws against axe murderers as coercion.

It was the whole cloth creation of some 'right' to murder children yet to be born that has caused a divide, and if we can't fight for the lives of the helpless among us, we have no moral basis, period.  Fine. help overturn Roe. There are ample adequate means to prevent pregnancy.  Fifty million souls and counting, not to mention their mothers, fathers, abortion providers, etc. Quit calling murder a 'right' and call it what it is. Stop the slaughter and close the abattoirs.  All of that, I'm all for it, and each of those options is more attractive without the easy out of legalized murder.   Do not, even for one second, even ask me to believe that the framers would see the wholesale slaughter of offspring in the womb as a "Right". Recall, in speaking of unalienable Rights, they put "Life" first? The most fundamental, first and foremost Right. No way they would have considered abortion a "right".

How about the roughly 50% of  those babies, the twenty five million 'women' who will never coo or smile at daddy or the cute kid down the street, never dance at prom,  never hold their own babies because they were deprived of the most fundamental right of all: Life itself?
Don't they have Rights? 
It is in their memory we fight, and for those who will follow if we do not.    No fight is too costly if it is for what is right. How often are we told we need to give up this or that because "if it only saves one life, it will be worth it"?  How could a fight to save millions of lives be "too costly"?

You have articulated the Framers, the Constitution, Biblical Christianity, logic, decency and basic morality in one fell swoop.

How anyone can refer to themselves as Conservative, Christian or American at all by disagreeing with any of that is deceived beyond their comprehension, or they are a pusher and purveyor of evil and it's agenda.