Author Topic: What could go wrong with a million-dollar wedding? Check out the million-dollar lawsuit.  (Read 987 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
The rich are different from you and I.  :shrug:

Washington A-listers Joan and Bernard Carl wanted a beautiful wedding for their oldest child. And for the most part, they got it.

The lavish June 2015 celebration for 250 guests in the garden of their Southampton estate was gorgeous. The bride wore Oscar de la Renta. There were 3,500 white roses individually studded into the lawn, a five-course dinner beneath massive chandeliers of greenery and a seven-tier wedding cake.

The mother of the bride commissioned monogrammed napkins for each place setting, as well as a custom fabric for the tables and the flower girl’s dress. There was a beachfront rehearsal dinner. The reception included a specialty cocktail served in an ostrich eggshell; the after parties offered a Calvados and cigar bar, plus hot chocolate and brownie stations.

A week later, the couple exchanged vows in a small candlelight ceremony in the 16th-century chapel at the family chateau in the Loire Valley, followed by hot-air ballooning the next morning. Both ceremonies were featured in Brides magazine last year with the headline: “This Couple’s Multi-Day Wedding in the Hamptons and in France Will Blow You Away.”

But behind the scenes, there was drama. So much drama that the wedding nearly got called off.

Planning a wedding can make anyone crazy. Adults go their entire lives not caring about table linens, and suddenly they’re fighting about whether napkins should be white or ecru. Costs spiral out of control because you simply must have that food truck for midnight donuts. And when a wedding budget tops seven figures, expectations and emotions can run exceptionally high.

So maybe it’s not surprising that a legal battle is brewing between Los Angeles-based celebrity event planner Mindy Weiss and the Carls. Weiss, who designed the Southampton ceremony — which cost upward of a million dollars — is suing the couple for more than $340,000 in unpaid fees and expenses, plus $1.4 million in damages. The Carls claim that Weiss went on an unauthorized spending spree on their dime and is holding the bridal video hostage unless they pay her inflated bill.

The whole ridiculously sordid tale here: https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/an-over-the-top-weddings-ugly-aftermath/2017/03/16/780928ac-04e4-11e7-b9fa-ed727b644a0b_story.html
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
...and THAT'S why I'm glad I'm single.

Look, I get it. A wedding is a beautiful, and very special, milestone, but pray tell, WHY would any sane man or woman want one of the most intimate moments of their lives to be overshadowed by a bunch of gaudy glitz?
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Oceander

Look, I get it. A wedding is a beautiful, and very special, milestone, but pray tell, WHY would any sane man or woman want one of the most intimate moments of their lives to be overshadowed by a bunch of gaudy glitz?

Why?  Because some other people like to have whacked out weddings?  If you want to avoid that, just don't propose to a woman who wants that.  These people got this because it's what they wanted, not because it was thrust upon them with no chance of avoiding it.

There are plenty of people who shower/bathe, and shave, put on decent clothes, and go down to town hall to say their vows and get their license.  No muss, no fuss, and afterward they're just as blissfully wedded (or not) as any couple that blows $1 million on a fancy wedding.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Why?  Because some other people like to have whacked out weddings?  These people got this because it's what they wanted, not because it was thrust upon them with no chance of avoiding it.
To each their own. :shrug:

Oceander

Exactly.  Don't let what some want affect you when it doesn't have to.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

He's right, Myrle.  It's up to you to be discriminating and chose well. (Which is only partly luck.)

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer

My mother insisted on a church wedding, dress, photographer. All in all it didn't cost me that much... :laugh:
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Oceander

My mother insisted on a church wedding, dress, photographer. All in all it didn't cost me that much... :laugh:

Who wore the dress? :smokin:

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
He's right, Myrle.  It's up to you to be discriminating and chose well. (Which is only partly luck.)
For the record, the "that's why I'm glad I'm single" part was purely in jest.