Author Topic: Teenager discovers 7.44 carat diamond in Arkansas state park  (Read 896 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Teenager discovers 7.44 carat diamond in Arkansas state park
« on: March 16, 2017, 11:37:31 pm »
Teenager discovers 7.44 carat diamond in Arkansas state park
By Madeline Fish Published March 16, 2017 FoxNews.com

A teenager made the discovery of a lifetime when he stumbled across a 7.44 carat diamond at an Arkansas state park.

Officials at Crater of Diamonds State Park at Murfreesboro say the rock found Saturday by 14-year-old Kalel Langford is the seventh largest found since the park was established in 1972. The park hasn't provided an estimate of the diamond's value.

“It was just a few inches from a stream of water, with a bunch of other rocks that were about the same size,” Langford said.

Continued: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/03/16/teenager-discovers-7-44-carat-diamond-in-arkansas-state-park.html

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Re: Teenager discovers 7.44 carat diamond in Arkansas state park
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2017, 11:44:57 pm »
Wow. I thought the Crater of Diamonds was dug out for everything but tiny stones. Good for him. That is a pretty fun place to take the family to do something something completely different.

Offline Idiot

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2017, 01:27:47 am »
Wow. I thought the Crater of Diamonds was dug out for everything but tiny stones. Good for him. That is a pretty fun place to take the family to do something something completely different.
I went there as a kid and really enjoyed it.  It's worth the trip.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2017, 02:32:15 am »
I'm going to need to see his find in a platinum setting before I can make an informed comment.   ^-^

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2017, 04:52:41 am »
Officials at Crater of Diamonds State Park at Murfreesboro say the rock found Saturday by 14-year-old Kalel Langford

Diamonds, or white kryptonite?

The Republic is lost.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2017, 04:58:40 am »
Depends if it's gem-quality diamonds. Industrial grade diamonds are fairly inexpensive and used on things like cutting wheels and such.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2017, 05:18:53 am »
Depends if it's gem-quality diamonds. Industrial grade diamonds are fairly inexpensive and used on things like cutting wheels and such.
From the picture at the link it appears to have decent clarity and a root beer brown color. "Chocolate" diamonds are the rage for now, but such things move in cycles like any fad.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline thackney

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2017, 01:07:45 pm »
From the picture at the link it appears to have decent clarity and a root beer brown color. "Chocolate" diamonds are the rage for now, but such things move in cycles like any fad.

A good marketing scheme.  Turns out "dirt", "poop" and even "brown" diamonds just didn't sell.  Who would have guessed?
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2017, 01:56:51 pm »
A good marketing scheme.  Turns out "dirt", "poop" and even "brown" diamonds just didn't sell.  Who would have guessed?
Faceted gems are odd ducks in the sense that too little color? Meh. Color density too high? It looks like a shiny piece of opaque stuff--shiny because it is faceted and polished. When the color and density are just right (along with the clarity and cut), the reflected and refracted light in the stone will be sparkly and pleasing to the eye (provided the color is). With clear diamonds, the cut is important to cause the light to refract and provide the 'fire' seen in a good and well cut stone. As inclusions and impurities interfere with that optical phenomenon, they often reduce the value of the stone. Exceptions would be rutile crystals contained in stones aligned with the lattice structure to give star effects, 'star' sapphire for one.

From the appearance of that diamond, it might well have a pleasing root beer brown color if cut. At that size, it's on a stone by stone basis, and finding the right buyer.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 01:58:45 pm by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Hondo69

• The more I know the less I understand
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2017, 03:01:45 pm »
When I read the article yesterday it noted "an interpreter" stated the diamond was over 7 carats.

Why do they have a diamond interpreter?

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2017, 03:13:25 pm »
Officials at Crater of Diamonds State Park at Murfreesboro say the rock found Saturday by 14-year-old Kalel Langford

Diamonds, or white kryptonite?

It was probably just a lump of coal before he squeezed it. 
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2017, 04:39:59 pm »

Yep. Now it is 'black diamonds' which are essentially industrial waste are now being marketed and sold at a premium.