Author Topic: How the Texas border wall is creating an expanding no man’s land  (Read 2449 times)

Offline huldah1776

• Manasseh or Josiah
Re: How the Texas border wall is creating an expanding no man’s land
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2017, 11:08:52 am »
My SIL taught science at a high school in Chula Vista, CA and had numerous students that crossed the border from Mexico every morning to go to school, and no they were not American born. She got fed up with it and moved to North Carolina.

I'm in NC now for a visit. Anyone know if the BIRTHER issue is going to be addressed? THAT is a major fix to be completed ASAP, too. GET rid of it! And what is it with an alien getting married to an American, still not a citizen (takes 3 years)  but when kids touch ground, boom, citizen?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 11:09:34 am by huldah1776 »
Worthy is the Lamb that was slain to receive power and riches and wisdom and might and honor and glory and blessing

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2017, 01:22:26 pm »
Never underestimate the force of flowing water, especially when it is pushing debris (tree trash, etc.). The engineering problems aren't going away, even if the Democrats do.
Just an example, how about the flood on the Pecos River which dumps into the Rio Grande that sent a 90' wall of water that washed out a steel bridge 50' above the river?

http://www.texascooppower.com/texas-stories/history/pecos-river-flood-of-1954
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2017, 01:48:57 pm »
Just an example, how about the flood on the Pecos River which dumps into the Rio Grande that sent a 90' wall of water that washed out a steel bridge 50' above the river?

http://www.texascooppower.com/texas-stories/history/pecos-river-flood-of-1954
An event like that will definitely make a mess of things, but just the battering of tree branches (and accumulation thereof) will make a mess, too. Changing the current changes the sedimentation in the river, too, so you end up with sandbars shifting, along with the channels.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2017, 02:39:19 pm »
An event like that will definitely make a mess of things, but just the battering of tree branches (and accumulation thereof) will make a mess, too. Changing the current changes the sedimentation in the river, too, so you end up with sandbars shifting, along with the channels.

A once in 60 year event is no reason to not do something. Dems will destroy a virtual wall 10 times before mother nature destroys a real wall once.

Build/rebuild if needed.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2017, 10:53:42 pm »
A once in 60 year event is no reason to not do something. Dems will destroy a virtual wall 10 times before mother nature destroys a real wall once.

Build/rebuild if needed.
While events like that will certainly destroy a lot, and conspicuously, it is the day to day pounding from the elements that does ongoing damage. Hurricanes get a lot of press, but smaller storm events do a lot of damage a little at a time.  The first job I had off of the farm was working marine construction, building/replacing seawalls and piers. Big storms brought in business, to be sure, but day to day wear and tear brought the majority of our work. Again, I'm not saying don't build it, just don't underestimate nor under fund the maintenance.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis