Author Topic: Church cops? Congregation eyes its own unusual police force  (Read 809 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Church cops? Congregation eyes its own unusual police force
« on: March 11, 2017, 03:43:04 am »
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (AP) — Briarwood Presbyterian Church already has more than 4,000 members, two private schools and its own radio station. And if administrators have their way, the wealthy congregation could soon add something that no other American church has: its own police force.

With a membership larger than many small towns, Briarwood has asked the state Legislature for permission to set up a private law enforcement department to watch over its flock and schools. The bill comes at a time when places of worship around the country are stepping up security, but a church-only police force raises constitutional questions that are ripe for a legal challenge. And opponents worry crimes could be covered up by the church.

Experts believe a church with its own police department would be unprecedented in the U.S.

"I've never even heard of this," said Heath Grant, an assistant professor at John Jay College of Criminal Justice in New York City. "From the perspective of security, churches usually have relationships with the local police departments. I don't know why that wouldn't be sufficient."

The Birmingham church hires off-duty police officers from nearby jurisdictions to cover its events, but it says there often are not enough officers available to help. Church officials also worry about mass shootings, such as the attacks at Sandy Hook Elementary in Connecticut and the Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal Church in South Carolina.

The bill was introduced by Republican Rep. Arnold Mooney, whose wife and daughter work at Briarwood Christian School. All three of his children graduated from Briarwood schools.

"Officer presence is the No. 1 line of defense," he said in an email.

Twenty-one of Mooney's colleagues in the Republican-controlled House support his bill, which passed the Legislature last year but was not signed into law by Gov. Robert Bentley. The governor did not give a reason for not acting on the proposal in 2016 and has given no indication what he will do this year.

Read more: https://apnews.com/dc0e024eeef5435c82c87c3a05d6ee74/Church-cops?-Congregation-eyes-its-own-unusual-police-force

An unusual can of worms, for sure.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Victoria33

Re: Church cops? Congregation eyes its own unusual police force
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2017, 04:35:07 am »
My opinion is, every church should have concealed carrying men and/or women in the back of the church before and during church service.

Now, the church in question is so large it is like a town with numerous activities going on all the time, including school.  I hope they get their own police as that place is an attraction for bad guys.

geronl

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2017, 07:49:08 am »
Islam has their own Sharia Police too

Online DB

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2017, 09:57:49 am »
What law to they intend to enforce?

Some sort of church law or the local communities lawful laws?

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2017, 11:00:17 am »
My opinion is, every church should have concealed carrying men and/or women in the back of the church before and during church service.

Now, the church in question is so large it is like a town with numerous activities going on all the time, including school.  I hope they get their own police as that place is an attraction for bad guys.

Its very common in Detroit churches.

Online The_Reader_David

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2017, 08:01:31 pm »
Church police?  Useful when there's a dead bishop on the landing.

Klaus: 'Ello son.

Son: There's a dead bishop on the landing, dad!

Klaus: Really?

Mother: Where's it from?

Son: Waddya mean?

Mother: What's its diocese?

Son: Well, it looked a bit Bath and Wells-ish to me...

Klaus: (getting up and going out the door) I'll go and have a look.

Mother: I don't know...kids bringin' 'em in here....

Son: It's not me!

Mother: I've got three of 'em down by the bin, and the dustmen won't touch 'em!

Klaus: (coming back in) Leicester.

Mother: 'Ow d'you know?

Klaus: Tattooed on the back o' the neck.  I'll call the police.

Mother: Shouldn't you call the church?

Son: Call the church police!

Klaus: All right.  (shouting) The Church Police!

(sirens racing up, followed by a tremendous crash)
           (the church police burst in the door)

Detective: What's all this then, Amen!

Mother: Are you the church police?

All the police officers: (in unison) Ho, Yes!

Mother: There's another dead bishop on the landing, vicar sargeant!

Detective: Uh, Detective Parson, madam.  I see... suffrigan, or diocesan?

Mother: 'Ow should I know?

Detective: It's tatooed on the back o' their neck.
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2017, 11:56:01 pm »
As with most news stories about church I think the news source is making this much ado about nothing, as are some posting here.  Lots of large churches hire off duy police to patrol the parking lots as thieves target those lots quite often. They also assist with traffic before and after service, preventing you from getting T-boned leaving the lot.

Some of these churches even have their own security, and I see nothing wrong with that either. Comparing this with Sharia Law like some have done here is really stretching it.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 11:59:02 pm by NavyCanDo »
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline Idiot

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2017, 01:35:05 am »
Our church is rather large and we have designated people who conceal carry.  If someone were to walk in threatening with a gun, I'd hit the floor...lol.  I'm not sure how accurate their shooting is...

Online mountaineer

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2017, 01:42:22 am »
The Birmingham church hires off-duty police officers from nearby jurisdictions to cover its events, but it says there often are not enough officers available to help. Church officials also worry about mass shootings ...
Valid concerns, but I'm not sure an actual police force is the answer. Perhaps church members with concealed carry permits in addition to security guards would be sufficient.

No one's ever asked, so I've never had to tell, but I've been carrying my weapon to church for years.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org