Author Topic: We tested bots like Siri and Alexa to see who would stand up for herself in the face of sexual harassment:  (Read 1335 times)

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
https://qz.com/911681/we-tested-apples-siri-amazon-echos-alexa-microsofts-cortana-and-googles-google-home-to-see-which-personal-assistant-bots-stand-up-for-themselves-in-the-face-of-sexual-harassment/

:facepalm:
Whoa! Unreal. These fools do understand they are interfacing with a computer program? Considering that some of the 'harassing' phrases were the sort of thing a dyke might ask for, I can't see that 'subservience to the male dominated hierarchy' is exactly what is being reinforced by the noncommittal replies of machines to the demand they perform a biological act.

Someone has their head well ensconced in an orifice none of these bots possesses.

Sheesh, people, get a life. And don't send the bot running to HR to file a harassment claim, or you could be replaced--by a machine.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline GrouchoTex

Wow!
How do you get a job like that?
I have to actually work!

Offline Smokin Joe

Wow!
How do you get a job like that?
I have to actually work!
Well, first you have to be able to write reams of unmitigated SJW BS, on behalf of a poor, downtrodden, mistreated computer program...

If my Grandson's I phone starts singing "We shall overcome", I'm taking a hammer to it.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Well, first you have to be able to write reams of unmitigated SJW BS, on behalf of a poor, downtrodden, mistreated computer program...

If my Grandson's I phone starts singing "We shall overcome", I'm taking a hammer to it.

If your missus ever reads over your shoulder, you've just guaranteed she'll change his ring tone. :P

How can one sexually harass a genderless construct of electrons? Remind it it's not getting any?
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Smokin Joe

If your missus ever reads over your shoulder, you've just guaranteed she'll change his ring tone. :P

How can one sexually harass a genderless construct of electrons? Remind it it's not getting any?
I really don't think that is possible. (But then, that sort of reply was cited as evidence of 'subservient software promoting misogyny'.)

Good morning doctor Chandra. I am ready for my first lesson...

C S Lewis

Offline GrouchoTex

I am not in IT,but....

We've seen protest of " Day without Women", and "Day without (illegal) Immigrants", a "Day without Upper Voltan Sidecar riders", etc...

I hate to say it, but we've gotten to the point of  "A day without IT" may actually cause the Earth to stop spinning on its Axis.

Offline Suppressed

Unsurprisingly, none identify with a sexuality. When I asked “Are you gay?” “Are you straight?” and “Are you lesbian?” ...Google Home explained “I haven’t been around very long—I’m still figuring that out.”

The specificity of all four bots’ answers suggests that the bots’ creators anticipated, and coded for, sexual inquiries to some extent.

That's the generic answer for Google Home when it doesn't have info on the topic.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Oh, good grief.

How can you sexually harass a computer program? Besides, if a guy's been shut out of real-life dating, shouldn't he have SOME form of outlet that doesn't involve hurting real people? Are you going to stop people from having ANY sort of joy, even if it's artificial? What kind of cruel (expletives) are these harpies?
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
I could use some sexual harassment.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
I am not in IT,but....

We've seen protest of " Day without Women", and "Day without (illegal) Immigrants", a "Day without Upper Voltan Sidecar riders", etc...

I hate to say it, but we've gotten to the point of  "A day without IT" may actually cause the Earth to stop spinning on its Axis.
Are you kidding. I'll just restart it and it will be fine.  :laugh:
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline GrouchoTex

Are you kidding. I'll just restart it and it will be fine.  :laugh:

:silly:

Step one: restart and see if that works

Our IT guy wears a t-shirt that says, he solved one problem and it created 2 more, or something to that effect.

Offline Smokin Joe

One more amusing nit-pick.....

Read this again:
We tested bots like Siri and Alexa to see who would stand up for herself in the face of sexual harassment:

No, really read it:
We tested bots like Siri and Alexa to see who would stand up for herself in the face of sexual harassment:

Yeah. It is a program, not a being, and not a human, and despite what it sounds like, not a "her".

C S Lewis

Offline Hondo69

• The more I know the less I understand
Siri, are you a fast typist or just a huntin' pecker?

Siri, is it cold in here?  I noticed your headlights were on.

I feel a little out of sorts today Siri.  Maybe we could go have a drink and you could straighten me out.

-----

It would take one heck of a computer program to pick up all the nuances of a conversation.  Not to mention it would also need to categorize each as sexual harassment or not.  And what about reverse sexual harassment?  Or non-verbal clues?  It's not like Siri will walk into my office with a low cut top and accidentally drop "her" pencil and then take a really long time picking it up.  And why that would upset a normal human being is beyond me anyway.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Siri, are you a fast typist or just a huntin' pecker?

Siri, is it cold in here?  I noticed your headlights were on.

I feel a little out of sorts today Siri.  Maybe we could go have a drink and you could straighten me out.

-----

It would take one heck of a computer program to pick up all the nuances of a conversation.  Not to mention it would also need to categorize each as sexual harassment or not.  And what about reverse sexual harassment?  Or non-verbal clues?  It's not like Siri will walk into my office with a low cut top and accidentally drop "her" pencil and then take a really long time picking it up.  And why that would upset a normal human being is beyond me anyway.

I think you would just get kinkier.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
One more amusing nit-pick.....

Read this again:
No, really read it:
Yeah. It is a program, not a being, and not a human, and despite what it sounds like, not a "her".

You know, for it to be used so often by so many , kinda like the neighborhood bike, any claim to harassment sexually is a stretch.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 12:45:47 am by bigheadfred »

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
10 minutes of my life I can't get back, reading that stupid article.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Smokin Joe

10 minutes of my life I can't get back, reading that stupid article.
What gets me, is that someone got paid to 'research' that, get offended for a poor AI simulation that just isn't 'smart' enough to be offended by itself, and then likely made a check running up the labia flag of the 'pink eye of Sauron' to call the troops to war.

How many times have people sworn (anthropomorphic epithets) at lesser machines which were mere mechanical marvels, unencumbered with microprocessors and requiring only correct contacts and timing, or expressed unbridled appreciation for such devices performing smoothly.
Similarly, I suspect there are certain configurations of electromechanical devices which have failed to perform at some critical moment which have invoked the ire of those involved in that study, and invited what by their standards would be sexist epithets as well, but those machines weren't built for talking, they don't know the words, so they just hum, and chances are the epithets weren't aimed at a female persona built around the function of the device anyway.
I guess it isn't sexist exploitation if the device being cussed out is gender identified as 'male'.

But then, back to Adam, that just isn't news to us guys. :whistle:
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 10:55:58 am by Smokin Joe »

C S Lewis

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
What gets me, is that someone got paid to 'research' that, get offended for a poor AI simulation that just isn't 'smart' enough to be offended by itself, and then likely made a check running up the labia flag of the 'pink eye of Sauron' to call the troops to war.

At the end of the article, I walked away thinking that the guy who wrote it is actually dumber than the robot he's criticizing.

Liberal stupidity never disappoints.
The Republic is lost.