Author Topic: Tucker crushes Bill Nye, calls him a bully: You just pretend … ‘You’re not a scientist! You’re a popularizer.’  (Read 2327 times)

rangerrebew

Tucker crushes Bill Nye, calls him a bully: You just pretend … ‘You’re not a scientist! You’re a popularizer.’
February 28, 2017 | Frieda Powers | Print Article   

Bill Nye the Science Guy has concluded that climate change “deniers” suffer from psychological delusions.

The popular television personality and science educator wrestled the topic of man-made global warming with Fox News Channel’s Tucker Carlson, arguing that climate change skeptics suffer from a condition called  “cognitive dissonance.”

“The evidence for climate change is overwhelming, so we’re looking for an explanation for why you guys are having so much trouble with it,” Nye said, on “Tucker Carlson Tonight,” Monday. Earlier in the day, Nye had teamed up with Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders for a Facebook Live conversation on climate change.

http://www.bizpacreview.com/2017/02/28/tucker-crushes-bill-nye-calls-bully-just-pretend-youre-not-scientist-youre-popularizer-453568
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 02:39:39 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline skeeter

IMO Nye ended up looking like the crank he is.

Offline Frank Cannon

Nye doesn't even have a science degree. He is a mechanical engineer.

Offline Just_Victor

Nye doesn't even have a science degree. He is a mechanical engineer.

An engineering degree is a Batchelor of Science degree.
If all I want is a warm feeling, I should just wet my pants.

Offline Frank Cannon

You are aware that a Bachelor of Sciences doesn't have anything to do with science, right? It has to do with the level of study you took to get the degree. Arts=Lazy, Science=Intensive.

BTW, I have a Political Science degree. It actually has science in the title. Am I an expert on global warming?

Offline dfwgator

You are aware that a Bachelor of Sciences doesn't have anything to do with science, right? It has to do with the level of study you took to get the degree. Arts=Lazy, Science=Intensive.

BTW, I have a Political Science degree. It actually has science in the title. Am I an expert on global warming?

I have a Bachelor of Science in Business Administration

Offline Norm Lenhart

I have a Bachelor of Science in Business Administration

Ah! the infamous "BS" degree! ;)

Offline Just_Victor

I graduated from Texas A&M with a degree in Mechanical Engineering in 1986.  Im not defending Bill Nye's stupidity, but I have a science degree.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 05:53:35 pm by Just_Victor »

Offline dfwgator

Offline kidd

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran

And a finance degree is a bachelor of science degree, too. (can be depending on the institution of "higher" learning)

Climate change is not in dispute; but man has not been proved to cause current changes, or previous changes since the dawn of time.

Great Britain was first populated by folks that walked across a land bridge from the continent.

Native Americans walked across a land bridge from east Asia, to Alaska.

Europe and North America underwent a series of ice ages, followed by retreats of the ice, as earth warmed, cooled, warmed again.

No human cause has ever been claimed for these epic changes, with major consequences.

Those are just a few examples from the origins of most Americans. I am certain other continents offer other examples.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Suppressed

I was in the Cornell College of Engineering a bit later than Mr. Nye, but there's a heck of a lot more engineering in that program than science.  That being said, Mr. Nye did take at least one astronomy course, and there were basic physics and chemistry requirements, plus engineering electives that were sciences such as thermodynamics.  And one doesn't do well in those engineering classes without good science understanding.

The bigger problem I have with his background is the lack of research experience.  He very clearly lacks awareness of funding-based bias in many research (all?) fields.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline truth_seeker

That is the ideal academic background, for manmade climate change advocacy.

Offline truth_seeker

Offline Just_Victor

I was in the Cornell College of Engineering a bit later than Mr. Nye, but there's a heck of a lot more engineering in that program than science.  That being said, Mr. Nye did take at least one astronomy course, and there were basic physics and chemistry requirements, plus engineering electives that were sciences such as thermodynamics.  And one doesn't do well in those engineering classes without good science understanding.

The bigger problem I have with his background is the lack of research experience.  He very clearly lacks awareness of funding-based bias in many research (all?) fields.

Under any carriculum other than engineering, the science and math requirements would result in a minor in those areas.  If we want to make the case that Bill Nye is a moron guy, I will completely agree.  But don't claim that a BSME is not a degree in science.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 06:43:35 pm by Just_Victor »

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
Science is also a process. Folks would be wise to employee it in all of their endeavors.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline chae

At my University, the only difference was to get a B.A. you needed 6 hours of a foreign language, to get a B.S. you needed 6 hours of electives in your major or minor.

Offline LateForLunch

• GOTWALMA Get Out of the Way and Leave Me Alone! (Nods to Teebone)
Strong assertions/accusations require strong evidence - AGW proponents never provide any for theirs but Healthy AGW Skeptics almost always do. Why is that, I wonder? 

Every time AGW proponents are asked to substantiate their grandiose claims with objective, factual information, they instead provide what I like to call "opinionology" which boils down to one fact-devoid, subjective highly biased opinion to validate another. Then they spend the rest of their time and energy insisting that they have supplied objective, facts and hurling vicious, sadistic vituperation at anyone who disagrees with them. Despotism. Demagoguery. Not even remotely connected to anything resembling scientific method or critical thinking based on rational synthesis.

What Nye and the rest of the AGW despots engage in is the time-tested strategery (sic) borrowed from trial law (as are most of the far left SOPs) which is to take the attitude of confidence without substantiating any of the foundational premise with compelling, objective factual stipulations.

In other words the AGW proponents have nothing else to support their argument - because in fact, most of the strong evidence related to AGW is in the negative. So they posture and construct sophistic or abductive dialectics in support of their Holy War hoping that nobody will notice that they are absolutely completely and utterly full of sh*t! 
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 07:27:18 pm by LateForLunch »
GOTWALMA Get out of the way and leave me alone! (Nods to General Teebone)

Offline Just_Victor

Science is also a process. Folks would be wise to employee it in all of their endeavors.

Science is always a process.  Anything diverging from that process isn't science.

Offline Suppressed

Under any carriculum other than engineering, the science and math requirements would result in a minor in those areas.  If we want to make the case that Bill Nye is a moron guy, I will completely agree.  But don't claim that a BSME is not a degree in science.

@Just_Victor, did you stop reading after my first sentence?!
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline musiclady

I would love to see how a Bachelor of Science student does in analyzing (mathematically, that is) the harmonic structure of a Brahms' intermezzo, or how well you'd do in writing an analysis of the Sonata Allegro form as it's used in the Kyrie movements of the late Haydn Masses.

That's what we "lazy" people do while we're sailing through our "lazy" BA degrees......   
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 07:01:55 pm by musiclady »
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Just_Victor

@Just_Victor, did you stop reading after my first sentence?!

Not at all.  I was largely agreeing with you my friend.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Two things you learn getting an undergraduate degree in engineering:

1. How to do the math

2. Which book to look in for the correct formula to apply to the task currently at hand.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline LMAO

Strong assertions/accusations require strong evidence - AGW proponents never provide any for theirs but Healthy AGW Skeptics almost always do. Why is that I wonder.

Every time AGW proponents are asked to substantiate their grandiose claims with objective, factual information, they instead provide what I like to call "opinionology" which boils down to one fact-devoid, subjective highly biased opinion to validate another. Then they spend the rest of their time and energy insisting that they have supplied objective, facts and hurling vicious, sadistic vituperation at anyone who disagrees with them. Despotism. Demagoguery. Not even remotely connected to anything resembling scientific method or critical thinking based on rational synthesis.

What Nye and the rest of the AGW despots engage in is the time-tested strategery (sic) borrowed from trial law (as are most of the far left SOPs) which is to take the attitude of confidence without substantiating any of the foundational premise with compelling, objective factual stipulations.

In other words the AGW proponents have nothing else to support their argument - because in fact, most of the strong evidence related to AGW is in the negative. So they posture and construct sophistic or abductive dialectics in support of their Holy War hoping that nobody will notice that they are absolutely completely and utterly full of sh*t!

@LateForLunch

Exactly. And they know they are losing the argument among the people. That's why you're seeing the increase in hyperbole and calls to silence or intimidate those that disagree. They are becoming more and more like the religious leaders in Middle Ages Europe and less like scientists. Labeling disagreement as a disorder is a Soviet tactic to silence debate. Because when you can't debate intellectually against an opponent, the next tactic is to discredit them or silence them

When it comes to Anthropogenic Warming or climate change or whatever they call it at any given time, we are told we are in an abnormal climate situation but no one can tell you what is normal when it comes to climate 
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Just_Victor

Two things you learn getting an undergraduate degree in engineering:

1. How to do the math

2. Which book to look in for the correct formula to apply to the task currently at hand.

And your degree is in what?