Author Topic: "It Was A Pretty Disturbing Briefing”: Why State Governors Suddenly Got Cold Feet About Obamacare Repeal  (Read 5631 times)

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Just do what you said you would do and repeal the GD thing entirely then fix what needs fixing afterward!

The problem is that too many of these Republican governors like Kasich and Brewer took the free money to expand their medicare rolls and get people signed up on Obamacare. Take the money away and those states go bankrupt.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
^^^^ This!!!

I can tell you with some authority that if they fail to do exactly that they can kiss their careers goodbye.  People have had it with their BS!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline endicom

Wait I thought you guys touted he was going to get rid of it in one fell swoop?

Who is 'you guys?' I don't know this person.

Offline LonestarDream

Just do what you said you would do and repeal the GD thing entirely then fix what needs fixing afterward!

Well that is HR 3762.  Trump and congress could do that, PLUS allow insurance companies to write simpler plans without all the mandates and regs.  Finally, Trump and Congress could 'do' something by allowing competition over state lines.

Notice that competition over state lines was not brought up at all during the governors meeting.
(?) Trump Realist    (*) Trump believer   (?) Never Trump,   Which are you ?

Offline skeeter

Notice that competition over state lines was not brought up at all during the governors meeting.

What is their argument against doing this yesterday? This would provide immediate relief.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
What is their argument against doing this yesterday? This would provide immediate relief.

They probably  didn't express any but they all understand what their big boy insurance benefactors don't want.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
Wait I thought you guys touted he was going to get rid of it in one fell swoop?

Doesn't matter anyway ...single payer is what is going to replace the ACA

You can go to Vegas and bet your life savings on that fact and come out a winner.

Trump even said as much in the past that is what he favors.

And that inevitability was set in motion the moment ObamaCare was passed and put into effect, because ObamaCare was designed to do what it has accomplished: destroy the system as it existed and force Single Payer as the absolute ONLY "solution" to the consequences it created.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline LonestarDream

Delays in addressing health legislation are also likely to set back tax reform procedurally. The ACA repeal/replace bill is being addressed as part of the FY2017 budget resolution, which would have normally passed last year but which Congress passed several weeks ago in order to create a procedural pathway for passage of ACA repeal legislation via the budget reconciliation process, which allows it to pass with only 51 votes in the Senate. Once the ACA legislation is enacted, congressional Republicans hope to pass the FY2018 budget resolution, which will lay out tax and spending plans for the coming ten years and provide a second set of reconciliation instructions, this time for tax reform.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-02-22/repeal-replace-repair-rename-here-latest-obamacare-and-why-its-bad-stocks

Offline LonestarDream

yes it would .

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
It is an interesting point.  And yes it is confusing.  Doing block grants to the States would allow the states to implement what you are saying.

Block grants?  Get the hell out of the insurance business is the right answer!

Offline ConservativeGranny

The government had no business getting involved in health insurance in the first place. Sometimes you just have to rip off the band-aide. Sure it stings for awhile but eventually you have healing.

For people like me who have health insurance through our employers the co-pays, deductibles and out-of-pockets are worse than Obamacare. Repeal the dang thing and let the chips fall where they may. All this doom and gloom is a bunch of baloney IMO.

I don't want Obamacare replaced. Government involvement in healthcare insurance is not a conservative idea. If you let the government keep tweaking it here and tweaking it there they will never get out of it but become more and more involved as each year goes by until we are right back where we are now.

Offline LonestarDream

Block grants?  Get the hell out of the insurance business is the right answer!

Well that was the issue with McCain losing in 08.  And losing Congress.  Where are the massive calls into Congress now with people screaming for repeal.  ?

Offline LonestarDream

The Dems are going to make a big deal about ANY cuts now that the clock has been wound up.

There will have to be some high risk pool now that expectations have been shifted.

The government had no business getting involved in health insurance in the first place. Sometimes you just have to rip off the band-aide. Sure it stings for awhile but eventually you have healing.

For people like me who have health insurance through our employers the co-pays, deductibles and out-of-pockets are worse than Obamacare. Repeal the dang thing and let the chips fall where they may. All this doom and gloom is a bunch of baloney IMO.

I don't want Obamacare replaced. Government involvement in healthcare insurance is not a conservative idea. If you let the government keep tweaking it here and tweaking it there they will never get out of it but become more and more involved as each year goes by until we are right back where we are now.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Well that was the issue with McCain losing in 08.  And losing Congress.  Where are the massive calls into Congress now with people screaming for repeal.  ?

McCain lost because not enough people wanted to vote for him.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
And #*&% all of those Americans who cant afford coverage anymore due to this damn act.

When will anyone ask *ssholes like Mr Malloy why they don't care about the rest of us?
Well how about how many more Americans could have health care if the states weren't spending American tax dollars on illegals? The biggest expansion of Medicaid has gone to illegals who receive not only better medical care then Americans, they get it for free!

Oceander

The problem is that too many of these Republican governors like Kasich and Brewer took the free money to expand their medicare rolls and get people signed up on Obamacare. Take the money away and those states go bankrupt.

And that was the point of offering the medicaid expansion:  to buy the states' continued support for the law after its failure became self-evident.

Oceander

That won't happen because the states hate interstate commerce and love the fact that they can tie up the insurance industry and carve out their own little fiefdoms.  And the insurers love it because it means that once they get a lock on a state, and a lock on the state insurance regulators - known as regulatory capture - they can keep out all competition.

Offline bilo

I can tell you with some authority that if they fail to do exactly that they can kiss their careers goodbye.  People have had it with their BS!

Man am I with you on this!

The "medicaid problem" is a bunch of crap. 18 million signed up for obamacare and 12 million of those were put on medicaid. So we are talking about 12 million people. If the 12 million get jobs they won't need medicaid. If the cost of insurance comes down, or people are able to take out plans with larger deductibles to just cover major medical issues, the numbers come down. At some point people can't just expect "free" healthcare.

The Pubs should ask themselves how many of those 12 million new medicaid folks are Pubs and how many of the small businessmen who've had their businesses turned upside down and health insurance costs triple are Pubs. I would like to be represented for once.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 03:27:59 am by bilo »
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Alabama Gov. Robert Bentley, also a Republican, said he was open to finding a way to help states that expanded the program. But he said it couldn’t be one that came at the expense of states such as his that didn’t do an expansion. “There were 18 governors that fought the ACA and we actually need to be rewarded for that, not punished,” he said. “I have not seen that plan yet.”

What forced them to expand Medicare eligibility? @LonestarDream

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
That won't happen because the states hate interstate commerce and love the fact that they can tie up the insurance industry and carve out their own little fiefdoms.  And the insurers love it because it means that once they get a lock on a state, and a lock on the state insurance regulators - known as regulatory capture - they can keep out all competition.

B I N G O ! ! !

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline LonestarDream

What forced them to expand Medicare eligibility? @LonestarDream

The Lure of 'free' federal tax dollars.  Instead of your neighbors paying for your healthcare, someone seven states over will!

Offline LonestarDream

Should be handled the same way car and home owners insurance is handled.

Oceander

Should be handled the same way car and home owners insurance is handled.

It is.  That is how all insurance works.  The federal law that allows the states to balkanize the insurance industry apply to car and home owners insurance.  The law is the McCarran-Ferguson Act.  Here's the wiki article on it:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McCarran%E2%80%93Ferguson_Act

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
On the other hand, Obamacare premiums for those paying into the program have soared in the past two years, sucking up a substantial portion of US household disposable income, and leading to widespread displeasure among the US middle-class with the existing format of the healthcare law.

As a result, significant differences remain between GOP officials in the House, the Senate, and the states—most acutely, over the Medicaid insurance program for the poor and disabled, which is administered by the states and jointly funded by the federal and state governments. A summary of the various proposed plans was laid out last week by Goldman.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-02-26/it-was-pretty-disturbing-briefing%E2%80%9D-why-state-governors-suddenly-got-cold-cold-about-

Lets have a serious discussion here.  Looks like the governors and Congress are a major obstacle to repealing ObamaCare.

Remember, a few years of taxes were collected, cynically, before the benefits were paid out.

Now the whole edifice is clearly not sustainable.  Lets kill line 61 of 1040 for starters.....
Seriously, we have known Congress was an obstacle, even though the GOP should be able to repeal it.
 The Governors don't get a vote.
Git 'er done.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline LonestarDream

It is.  That is how all insurance works.  The federal law that allows the states to balkanize the insurance industry apply to car and home owners insurance.  The law is the McCarran-Ferguson Act.  Here's the wiki article on it:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McCarran%E2%80%93Ferguson_Act

Good info.  The point is homeowners insurance and auto insurance is sold across state lines, so health insurance should be also.  The larger pools should help companies price the risk better.

Life insurance is also sold across state lines and is very competitive.