Author Topic: If President Trump Really Doesn’t Read Memos, That’s A Huge Problem  (Read 4194 times)

Offline corbe

Re: If President Trump Really Doesn’t Read Memos, That’s A Huge Problem
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2017, 05:39:38 am »
No worries @corbe  I doubt you're missed.

(But you still might want to look into buying a few vowels.....  888blackhat )

I'm watching Trump Video's to understand that buying a vowel concept @Right_in_Virginia

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2017, 06:47:35 am »
   I'm watching Trump Video's to understand that buying a vowel concept @Right_in_Virginia

+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2017, 07:16:41 am »
By way of comparison, Mr. Obama received a 57-page memo when considering his early administration priority: how to rescue the economy.

OK folks. Show of hands.

First, who thinks that a 57 page anything is a 'memo'?

Second, who here wants to run the numbers on the time it takes to read and understand a 57 page 'memo' so that you can actually use that info?

Once that sinks in, ask yourselves where anyone actually has time to do that in a day, in fact EVERY day by implication and ALSO do their job on matters not contained in that 'memo'.

Sounds to me this is more propaganda promoting the brilliance of Barry. Now for the bonus ponderable:

Barry, a man who played more video games than I do, a man whose love of paperwork is so great that no one ever found any of his output from his ...ahem...'professor' years...is gonna do that?

Offline corbe

« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2017, 07:21:31 am »
  I'm with you, It's beyond preposterous @Norm Lenhart that anyone can contribute these feats to Obama, but it's not beyond the realm of possibility that Trump doesn't do memos.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2017, 08:14:24 am »
OK folks. Show of hands.

First, who thinks that a 57 page anything is a 'memo'?

Second, who here wants to run the numbers on the time it takes to read and understand a 57 page 'memo' so that you can actually use that info?

Once that sinks in, ask yourselves where anyone actually has time to do that in a day, in fact EVERY day by implication and ALSO do their job on matters not contained in that 'memo'.

Sounds to me this is more propaganda promoting the brilliance of Barry. Now for the bonus ponderable:

Barry, a man who played more video games than I do, a man whose love of paperwork is so great that no one ever found any of his output from his ...ahem...'professor' years...is gonna do that?

1/ It's not. It's a novella.

2/ A good rule of thumb for a well written and sourced, concise document is a minute per page. Some people are faster, some are slower, of course. Depends on their reading speed, their familiarity with the subject, time of day - you name it.

3/ No one does. That's why the command structure is so important, with each level handling their own issues and only kicking upstairs items that are out of their field or above their pay grade. 70% of the memos the person at the top, be it a CEO, a president, or a general, gets should be short informational memos: "We did this and this and this. Details of the reasoning are available here." The other 30% are problems and requests for direction - things the guy at the top is paid the big bucks to handle.

In short - the President SHOULD be getting short memos, in an effectively functioning system. If it takes more than a page or two, a face to face is needed.

Side note - I have zero problem with Trump preferring to get his information verbally. Some people just process information faster and better that way. Especially at the moment, when part of the information that needs to be processed is "How good/effective is this person in this capacity."
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

geronl

« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2017, 08:36:13 am »

Side note - I have zero problem with Trump preferring to get his information verbally.

especially when he is busy tweeting about Nordstrom and Ivanka during National Security briefings?

Offline montanajoe

« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2017, 09:35:39 am »
A Huge problem...naw
A large problem..not really
A medium sized problem....don't think so
A small problem...for who
A minuscule problem.. are you kidding me
An infintensimally small problem..That's Biggly ...

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2017, 10:18:17 am »
especially when he is busy tweeting about Nordstrom and Ivanka during National Security briefings?

Did he? Someone has come forward and said so, right? Or did some rando journalist look at the timestamp of the tweet, the calendar of the president and put two and two together to get six million? Again.

Since I know damned well that intelligence briefings never start on time - I'll wait for an eyewitness account from a named source before getting all aerated about that.

The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2017, 01:44:02 pm »
Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't it said that obama didn't attend intelligence briefings? That he got all his information from CNN?

I can understand him not attending those meetings since he already has brief intelligence, but relying on CNN seems a little misguided.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2017, 02:19:58 pm »
@bigheadfred
@Suppressed
@mystery-ak
@Freya

This is how he ran his company.  I read that not long after the primary started.  Whoever was in charge of company communication, had to cut it down to one page and hand it to him, telling him what it said.  He said he didn't have time to read.  However, I think he has a learning disability - dyslexia - that causes him to give an order for only one page, with a few bullets on it and he has the person tell him what the the page says. I also think that is why his vocabulary is limited, why he uses the same words over and over and over.  A linguistic expert has said he speaks on a fourth grade level.

You're a laugh a minute, @Victoria33

First you try to dazzle us with your personal diagnosis of Nominee Trump, claiming he is a textbook case of [fill-in-the-blank]

Now, you adopt the tired Leftist meme that our Republican POTUS is a moron, functionally illiterate and speaks on a 4th grade level.   :whistle:

See the Orange Face with the red tie and blue suit?
Yeah buddy that's his own hair
That 4th grade reader got his own jet airplane
He's POTUS....and a Billionaire
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2017, 03:02:28 pm »

?????    @corbe   It would appear you've gotten ahead of yourself, yet again.   88devil

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2017, 03:05:26 pm »
"I was elected to lead, not to read." - "President" Schwarzenegger

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2017, 03:12:52 pm »
"I was elected to lead, not to read." - "President" Schwarzenegger

Is he saying he is preferred to be the leading man?
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline beandog

« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2017, 03:37:25 pm »
Started to read this until I noticed the words Huffington post in the link! Stopped me in my tracks I tellya!
I'm with you.  When did liberal, crappy "news" sources like HuffPo, Politico, etc. become the paragons of virtue for news that is true. **nononono*

By the way, I'm sure he's reading what he needs to read.  If he can get the government to write things short and to the point, we would all be better off.  Everybody keeps complaining that the goverment isn't like a business.  Maybe since things weren't going so well running it the way it was, we should try and run it like a business.  Can't get any worse. :pondering:

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2017, 03:50:16 pm »
Quote from: Bigun on February 11, 2017, 08:59:00 PM

Started to read this until I noticed the words Huffington post in the link! Stopped me in my tracks I tellya!

I'm with you.  When did liberal, crappy "news" sources like HuffPo, Politico, etc. become the paragons of virtue for news that is true. **nononono*

Comon people. Keep the right perspective.

Andy Dufresne - who crawled through a river of shit and came out clean on the other side.

Offline jpsb

« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2017, 04:37:44 pm »
No worries @corbe  I doubt you're missed.

@Right_in_Virginia

Another day another bash Republican President Trump thread, sad.

Offline jpsb

« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2017, 04:45:17 pm »

By the way, I'm sure he's reading what he needs to read.  If he can get the government to write things short and to the point, we would all be better off.  Everybody keeps complaining that the goverment isn't like a business.  Maybe since things weren't going so well running it the way it was, we should try and run it like a business.  Can't get any worse. :pondering:

Imagine if Trump directed the IRS to rewrite the tax code on one page with no more then 9 bullets! Yipee, hip hip horra.

Offline anubias

« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2017, 04:55:01 pm »
This is a whole lot of nothing.  The demented are looking for anything to twist in order to paint Trump as incompetent.  We are going to see much of this for the next four years.  Unfortunately, there are many too willing to go along with them instead of using their noggins to think for themselves.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2017, 05:01:34 pm »
This is a whole lot of nothing.  The demented are looking for anything to twist in order to paint Trump as incompetent.  We are going to see much of this for the next four years.  Unfortunately, there are many too willing to go along with them instead of using their noggins to think for themselves.

:beer:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2017, 05:06:12 pm »

:thumbsup3:

(There's hope @jpsb  ^-^ )

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2017, 05:16:05 pm »
Imagine if Trump directed the IRS to rewrite the tax code on one page with no more then 9 bullets! Yipee, hip hip horra.

I don't know. If they simplified it, it would lose its status as a code, wouldn't it?

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2017, 05:28:28 pm »
I don't run a country, but we live by email, and I instruct my folks to keep emails short and simple, state why you're sending the email, relevant facts and history, bulleted preferably, and attach any documents only as needed.  At their level, they should be able to absorb the information and put it back out concisely, accurately and precisely and...well, short and simple.  Many/most issues can be distilled into that kind of format.  If it is genuinely a more complicated issue, we set up a brief meeting and go over it. 

Somebody here once referred to a $10 solution to a $2 problem.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2017, 06:13:04 pm »
I used to manage President Obama’s briefing materials, delivering them late in the evening through the Colonnade at the White House or down the narrow hallway aboard Air Force One. I know what presidential briefings contain, and regardless of what you think of President Trump’s policies, reports that he has trouble concentrating on these materials should be a matter of concern.

The daily flow of presidential memos not only prepares the president for each day, it is central to decision-making and policy planning. The White House paper process carries recommendations from his advisors, through relevant White House offices for review, and finally to the president’s desk for consideration – from trade deals and treaties to military matters.

Mr. Trump has reportedly requested that his memos be no longer than one page, containing no more than nine bullets. The brevity of recently leaked memos regarding the president’s early immigration actions suggest this ‘CliffsNotes’ approach may already be in place. By way of comparison, Mr. Obama received a 57-page memo when considering his early administration priority: how to rescue the economy. The leaked memos for Mr. Trump contain far less information than comparable documents that I saw reach Mr. Obama’s desk, and suggest that his advisors do not think Mr. Trump will bother to read even the very brief memo they have written.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/the-president-reportedly-doesnt-read-memos-thats-a-huge-problem_us_589f1b6de4b094a129eb6ed6

Considering the excessive verbiage contained in most government papers, this may not be all bad.  There are a few salient points explained in way too much unnecessary detail.

Look at the number of pages in the Obamacare act.  You couldn't lift them.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #48 on: February 12, 2017, 06:18:18 pm »
Apparently he tells them, "Where do I sign?" before knowing what it does.

Trump is functionally illiterate.

You've given way too much space in your brain to Trump hatred.  That doesn't leave much room for common sense.

If Obama had actually written his own book, it would be a candidate for the ??? award.  You know what I mean.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #49 on: February 12, 2017, 06:22:23 pm »
Way back when Avis was nearly unknown in the car rental business they hired a new guy to run things. One of the first things he did upon taking over was to write a memo to all the executives in the company hierarchy. It read something like this:

I think that guy was on to something!

Totally agree.

Why are people still digging in the barrel to scrape stuff off the bottom to try and discredit Trump.

Those days are over.  Trump is the president and has done a good job so far.  I find no one to criticize in his cabinet nominations or in his supreme court nominee.

It may make us feel superior to criticize his simple verbal skills, but then, how many of us are president?