Author Topic: Ninth Circuit Court to announce their decision Today  (Read 13194 times)

Offline Norm Lenhart

Re: Ninth Circuit Court to announce their decision Today
« Reply #125 on: February 10, 2017, 01:55:27 am »
The law is quite clear as to who get's to decide what is or is not a clear and present danger and it ain't the courts!

Notice how that simple fact gets talked around and not addressed?

Offline Fantom

« Reply #126 on: February 10, 2017, 01:57:31 am »

Trump wanted a 180 day ban and then "extreme vetting". Wasn't unreasonable imo.

More than reasonable in my opine.
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #127 on: February 10, 2017, 02:01:14 am »

OH yeah!  Very much so!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #128 on: February 10, 2017, 02:01:52 am »
The court has no standing to rule at all. the law is clear. The power rests in the executive. This is like a girl that tells her parents she's going to the prom with the local drug lord, her parents telling her no and her asking what time they expect her home.

She ain't going so it don't matter.
And therein is the problem:  The Executive is not subservient to the Judicial.  It has power vested to it by virtue of the Constitution.  Nothing done as yet by the Federal judge or the Appellate Judges can overturn Presidential prerogative.

So Trump will just ignore the ruling.  In doing so, we begin a tenuous journey that takes us to ignoring other parts of the Constitution.

Precedence has already been set in situations like the sanctuary cities that ignore the federal prerogative to make and enforce laws on immigration.

The end-game is whether we wish to remain a nation abiding by the rule of law or not.

A Seattle federal judge who decided to take on the President of the US began the path we take.

At the least, Sessions should investigate the breach of Constitutional authority by the judge in his ruling, and report to Congress on the need to impeach and remove this individual.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #129 on: February 10, 2017, 02:03:59 am »
And therein is the problem:  The Executive is not subservient to the Judicial.  It has power vested to it by virtue of the Constitution.  Nothing done as yet by the Federal judge or the Appellate Judges can overturn Presidential prerogative.

So Trump will just ignore the ruling.  In doing so, we begin a tenuous journey that takes us to ignoring other parts of the Constitution.

Precedence has already been set in situations like the sanctuary cities that ignore the federal prerogative to make and enforce laws on immigration.

The end-game is whether we wish to remain a nation abiding by the rule of law or not.

A Seattle federal judge who decided to take on the President of the US began the path we take.

At the least, Sessions should investigate the breach of Constitutional authority by the judge in his ruling, and report to Congress on the need to impeach and remove this individual.

Last Supreme Court Judge to be impeached for an overly "partisan" ruler was Samuel Chase back around the beginning of the 19th century sometime.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samuel_Chase
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 02:04:37 am by Weird Tolkienish Figure »

Offline r9etb

« Reply #130 on: February 10, 2017, 02:04:14 am »
The law is quite clear as to who get's to decide what is or is not a clear and present danger and it ain't the courts!

It's a moot point, because apparently the Gov't didn't argue that way in any case. 

They devote a lot of discussion to the question of the court's standing to rule on national security issues -- look it up.

What the decision does say, is this: "Although the Government points to the fact that Congress and the Executive identified the seven countries named in the Executive Order as countries of concern in 2015 and 2016, the Government has not offered any evidence or even an explanation of how the national security concerns that justified those designations, which triggered visa requirements, can be extrapolated to justify an urgent need for the Executive Order to be immediately reinstated."

IOW, the gov't didn't make the case for an emergency stay.

Offline Fantom

« Reply #131 on: February 10, 2017, 02:06:31 am »

Indeed, and seeing as how the Judicial branch is only equal to the Executive branch ..or Legislative for that matter, as plenipotentiary is the SCOTUS.

That is a minor functionary, as is a District trial judge, does not have the power to overrule a President or Congress.

That would be like letting Barnie Fife arrest a SCOTUS judge for what he believes to be treason.
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

« Reply #132 on: February 10, 2017, 02:08:44 am »
If I had to make an educated guess...I bet one of the questions asked by the three judge panel was "can you show a clear and present danger from the refugees entering the country"?
The Executive does not have to submit his declaration of a national emergency to any court. It must take his word on it.

Unconstitutional.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #133 on: February 10, 2017, 02:09:01 am »
It's a moot point, because apparently the Gov't didn't argue that way in any case. 

They devote a lot of discussion to the question of the court's standing to rule on national security issues -- look it up.

What the decision does say, is this: "Although the Government points to the fact that Congress and the Executive identified the seven countries named in the Executive Order as countries of concern in 2015 and 2016, the Government has not offered any evidence or even an explanation of how the national security concerns that justified those designations, which triggered visa requirements, can be extrapolated to justify an urgent need for the Executive Order to be immediately reinstated."

IOW, the gov't didn't make the case for an emergency stay.

And what you don't seem to understand is that they don't need to offer any evidence!  The president and the president alone has the duty to make that determination and to act accordingly!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

« Reply #134 on: February 10, 2017, 02:10:58 am »
It's not at all irrelevant.  If the gov't cannot show a clear and present danger, then it's difficult to make a compelling claim that "national security" merits granting an emergency stay to the temporary restraining order.

And, after all, this decision is ONLY about a stay.  It's not the appeal itself.
If the Executive declares there is a national security matter, no court has the authority to say otherwise.

It is ended when the national security is declared.

Courts are assuming way too much authority that they do not possess.

Watch DT ignore them.

• Technical
« Reply #135 on: February 10, 2017, 02:11:55 am »
If the Executive declares there is a national security matter, no court has the authority to say otherwise.

It is ended when the national security is declared.

Courts are assuming way too much authority that they do not possess.

Watch DT ignore them.

Well then watch Trump get his dumb ass impeached.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #136 on: February 10, 2017, 02:13:42 am »

Excellent point needing repeating: one judge in Seattle, much less three oft-overturned wacko judges in SF, who have no clue whats happening internationally with regards to nation'l security (a good part based upon classified info) don't get to define whats a clear & present danger to the nation.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #137 on: February 10, 2017, 02:14:42 am »
I'm pretty sure that Assad's definition of 'terrorist' is much different than the rest of the world's definition of the word 'terrorist'.

His is a "if they don't support my reign, they are a terrorist".

So a Seattle judge knows better.

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #138 on: February 10, 2017, 02:15:38 am »
Sooo...

... no imports/exports, no one allowed into or out of the country (US citizen or not).

Completely sealing the border.

Geez.

See, it wouldn't be needed, but liberals unwilling to follow the law force stronger measures. So blame the people that fought against Trumps 100% legal EO to begin with when stronger actions happen.

« Reply #139 on: February 10, 2017, 02:16:19 am »

Last Supreme Court Judge to be impeached for an overly "partisan" ruler was Samuel Chase back around the beginning of the 19th century sometime.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samuel_Chase
Yeah, but wasn't old Alcee Hastings impeached and removed back in 1989 as a federal judge for bribery and perjury?

Folks back in Florida forgave him as he is a sitting US Representative.

Offline Fantom

« Reply #140 on: February 10, 2017, 02:16:24 am »
I'm pretty sure that Assad's definition of 'terrorist' is much different than the rest of the world's definition of the word 'terrorist'.

His is a "if they don't support my reign, they are a terrorist".

Ah, the obama definition.

Frederick Douglass

« Reply #141 on: February 10, 2017, 02:18:29 am »

That would be like letting Barnie Fife arrest a SCOTUS judge for what he believes to be treason.
I think I saw that episode.  Didn't Andy find a way to convince Barney to send Otis to the tank instead?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 02:20:44 am by IsailedawayfromFR »

« Reply #142 on: February 10, 2017, 02:20:19 am »

Well then watch Trump get his dumb ass impeached.
By who?  We have a GOP Congress.

Are you serious?

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #143 on: February 10, 2017, 02:22:36 am »
Yea but I prefer the fantasy where constitutional law still governs America. Good old Mitch. Thank god smart pragmarists won the day and kept sending him to DC along with the other surrender monkeys.

Thanks RINO voters! Wonder who ends up dead and on your consciences over it this month. You are 100% responsible.

Don't blame me.  I live in KY - didn't vote for Mitch in the primary, or in the general election.  His opponent put up a good fight, and is now our Governor, and we have a Republican state controlled gov't for the first time in 75 years now. 

But, you don't understand the Mitch Machine - Bevin came the closest to beating him, but McConnell is a dirty worm.   
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

• Technical
« Reply #144 on: February 10, 2017, 02:22:47 am »

Are you serious?

Yeah, they were ready to impeach Nixon. Trump isn't all that popular or well liked. Democrats would certainly not object. And they'd get Pence.

Not much downside to it. And if Trump is ignoring courts, his popularity would be even lower then.

No brainer.

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #145 on: February 10, 2017, 02:23:10 am »

Are you serious?

I want to see congress impeach a president that has the majority of america suporting him over a matter of national security.

The problem here is some people hate Trump more than they love their country. Thus all the idiocy we see about impeachment and judges usurping the exec in matters of national security, the feelings bases nonsense over poor widdle muslims inconvenienced and more.

Offline Fantom

« Reply #146 on: February 10, 2017, 02:23:18 am »
I think I saw that episode.  Didn't Andy find a way to convince Barney to send Otis to the tank instead?

Get with the times..."Barney" is transgendered now...I.E. Barnie.   :laugh:

Frederick Douglass

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #147 on: February 10, 2017, 02:24:38 am »
Don't blame me.  I live in KY - didn't vote for Mitch in the primary, or in the general election.  His opponent put up a good fight, and is now our Governor, and we have a Republican state controlled gov't for the first time in 75 years now. 

But, you don't understand the Mitch Machine - Bevin came the closest to beating him, but McConnell is a dirty worm.

Oh but I do understand. The problem isn't mitch or his machine. the problem is unprincipled cowards in a voting booth.

• Technical
« Reply #148 on: February 10, 2017, 02:24:49 am »
I want to see congress impeach a president that has the majority of america suporting him over a matter of national security.

The problem here is some people hate Trump more than they love their country. Thus all the idiocy we see about impeachment and judges usurping the exec in matters of national security, the feelings bases nonsense over poor widdle muslims inconvenienced and more.

They impeached Clinton. clinton was popular at the time, which is probably the only reason he kept his seat.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #149 on: February 10, 2017, 02:25:28 am »
I'm going to read this absurdity of an opinion again later, but it seems to me that the 9th Circuit Court has established that anyone alive anywhere on Earth now has rights under the US Constitution.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx