Author Topic: Old-Guard Republicans to Push Carbon Tax at White House Meeting  (Read 798 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Old-Guard Republicans to Push Carbon Tax at White House Meeting
« on: February 08, 2017, 08:50:21 pm »

Old-Guard Republicans to Push Carbon Tax at White House Meeting
by Jennifer A Dlouhy
and Margaret Talev
February 7, 2017, 6:34 PM CST February 8, 2017, 10:19 AM CST

Former White House advisers, cabinet secretaries pressing tax
    Trump’s economic adviser Gary Cohn among scheduled attendees

A group of prominent Republicans and business leaders backing a tax on carbon dioxide were taking their case Wednesday to top White House aides, including chief economic adviser Gary Cohn.

The group, including former Treasury Secretaries Hank Paulson and James Baker, is pressing President Donald Trump to tax carbon dioxide in exchange for abolishing a slew of environmental regulations. They unveiled their plan with a press conference in Washington and an op-ed in the Wall Street Journal.

more
https://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2017-02-08/prominent-republicans-begin-push-to-tax-carbon-cut-regulations
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Frank Cannon

Re: Old-Guard Republicans to Push Carbon Tax at White House Meeting
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2017, 08:58:24 pm »
"Climate change poses an unacceptable risk to our climate and to our economy," Paulson said in a statement. "Putting a price on carbon is by far the most efficient and effective way to restrict emissions."

Paulson went on to say "We don't give a shit how high the tax is because all of it will be payed by the consumer."

Offline DiogenesLamp

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2017, 09:02:04 pm »
"Climate change poses an unacceptable risk to our climate and to our economy," Paulson said in a statement. "Putting a price on carbon is by far the most efficient and effective way to restrict emissions."

Paulson went on to say "We don't give a shit how high the tax is because all of it will be payed by the consumer."

More left wing media echo chamber crap filling people's head with wrong (incorrect)  ideas.   

‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2017, 09:25:15 pm »
"A group of prominent Republicans and business leaders backing a tax on carbon dioxide "

Hmmmm.....Some say that:

"We have to elect the Republican NO MATTER WHAT"

Hmmmm.....Others say that:

"Any Republican is better than a Democrat"

I dunno. Maybe It's just me, but there seems to be some correlation with those three sentences. But what?????

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2017, 11:30:15 pm »
Carbon is one of the more common elements in the world. It'd figure the government would want to tax it.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2017, 11:37:47 pm »
"A group of prominent Republicans and business leaders backing a tax on carbon dioxide "

Hmmmm.....Some say that:

"We have to elect the Republican NO MATTER WHAT"

Hmmmm.....Others say that:

"Any Republican is better than a Democrat"

I dunno. Maybe It's just me, but there seems to be some correlation with those three sentences. But what?????

This is why many of us left the Uniparty and consider the GOP as bad or worse than the Democrats.

The Establishment GOP is simply carrying on Obama's agenda for him.

Statism is Statism, regardless which of these cretins from Mordor on the Potomac is in power.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2017, 04:27:17 am »
News articles like this make me all the more satisfied that Trump won out over the "prominent" Republicans, and that he is the right man for the times ahead...

Offline endicom

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2017, 04:39:14 am »
News articles like this make me all the more satisfied that Trump won out over the "prominent" Republicans, and that he is the right man for the times ahead...

We'll see how many prominent Republicans there are in Congress. Not too many, I hope.

Offline Hondo69

• The more I know the less I understand
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2017, 08:25:10 am »
I'm trying to grasp the gist of their proposal.  It sounds like their argument is that trading one tax (regulations) for another would be a win/win.

Offline Just_Victor

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2017, 12:30:04 pm »

Awesome, let's give the government the authority to tax breathing.  What could possibly go wrong?

If all I want is a warm feeling, I should just wet my pants.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2017, 12:32:54 pm »
Awesome, let's give the government the authority to tax breathing.  What could possibly go wrong?
With the declaration (by a SCOTUS Chief Justice, no less) that the "Penalty" of "Fee" for not buying insurance is, indeed, a "tax", they already do tax breathing. Stopping is the only way to avoid one penalty or the other.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline libertybele

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2017, 01:22:11 pm »
Carbon tax and 'going green' ... just a way to control the populace and confiscate their money.  We'll see what happens....

"..Trump himself has come out against the idea, rejecting a carbon tax in responses to a survey by the American Energy Alliance last March. Many of the conservative advocates guiding Trump’s energy and environment policy also eschew the idea.

The approach also runs counter to Trump’s campaign promise to help bring back coal-mining jobs. Because it generates more carbon dioxide emissions than natural gas and oil, coal would be the fossil fuel hardest hit by a tax on carbon.
"
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.