Author Topic: Is California Really Going to Secede?  (Read 9243 times)

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Re: Is California Really Going to Secede?
« Reply #100 on: February 12, 2017, 02:47:24 pm »
People have bought a fantasy that California is the only place where things grow but that's only from the perspective of their own lifetimes. In the days of our grandparents California wasn't a major food producer for the rest of the nation. Most of the food they ate was grown withing a few hundred miles of where they lived. My great grandmother told me about the whole family sharing an orange or a banana on the rare occasion one was available to buy.

You mentioned NY grapes and Michigan is the same way, you can't turn around without falling over a winery. We're also a big producer of apples, carrots, Cherries obviously, onions, potatoes, cabbage, cucumbers, and on and on.

Having crops growing all over the country just makes good strategic sense. For instance, when the apple crop got wiped out by midwestern drought a few years ago, the pacific northwest apple growers had a bumper crop.

My dad always grew a huge garden and my parents did a big amount of canning. So we were stocked with what I would call "staples" year round. As far as the more exotic things like kiwi not having them didn't matter a fig.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #101 on: February 12, 2017, 02:51:23 pm »
My dad always grew a huge garden and my parents did a big amount of canning. So we were stocked with what I would call "staples" year round. As far as the more exotic things like kiwi not having them didn't matter a fig.

The thing I like about Parsnips is the fact that I can leave them in the ground over the winter and harvest in the spring. Spring harvested parsnips are best anyway because they're sweeter.

Nuthin like butter fried parsnip slices.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #102 on: February 12, 2017, 03:02:48 pm »
The thing I like about Parsnips is the fact that I can leave them in the ground over the winter and harvest in the spring. Spring harvested parsnips are best anyway because they're sweeter.

Exactly. FWIW, the cold  helps convert the starch into sugar. 

I think a lot of people kind of get spoiled by having year-round fresh fruit and veggies. And urban people would argue they can't have a garden. But that is laziness, IMO. And spoilt. Having the fed/gov up people's a regarding farmer's markets are an impediment, but buying bulk items there and home canning them is a possibility. Who cares if your coffee table in your apartment is a stack of cases of home canned goods covered with a couple of boards and a sheet?
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #103 on: February 12, 2017, 03:18:56 pm »
Exactly. FWIW, the cold  helps convert the starch into sugar. 

I think a lot of people kind of get spoiled by having year-round fresh fruit and veggies. And urban people would argue they can't have a garden. But that is laziness, IMO. And spoilt. Having the fed/gov up people's a regarding farmer's markets are an impediment, but buying bulk items there and home canning them is a possibility. Who cares if your coffee table in your apartment is a stack of cases of home canned goods covered with a couple of boards and a sheet?

I've become a pinterest addict for all the gardening ideas, DIY home improvement ideas, storage ideas and they also have plenty of stuff for preppers.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #104 on: February 12, 2017, 03:38:13 pm »
I've become a pinterest addict for all the gardening ideas, DIY home improvement ideas, storage ideas and they also have plenty of stuff for preppers.

Really?  I wouldn't have thought of Pinterest for that.  I'll have to look.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #105 on: February 12, 2017, 03:39:23 pm »

There is a place here that sells "innovative" storage items. I think they are still around. They have a version of this:

Made of metal with a shorter dispensing area. Something you could mount on the back of a closet door or a wall, saving on shelf space, with "automatic" rotation of wear dates. Quite a bit of variety aka product line. Lots of people around here, being LDS, are into having a couple of years worth of food storage.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #106 on: February 12, 2017, 09:49:43 pm »
People have bought a fantasy that California is the only place where things grow but that's only from the perspective of their own lifetimes. In the days of our grandparents California wasn't a major food producer for the rest of the nation. Most of the food they ate was grown withing a few hundred miles of where they lived. My great grandmother told me about the whole family sharing an orange or a banana on the rare occasion one was available to buy.

You mentioned NY grapes and Michigan is the same way, you can't turn around without falling over a winery. We're also a big producer of apples, carrots, Cherries obviously, onions, potatoes, cabbage, cucumbers, and on and on.

Having crops growing all over the country just makes good strategic sense. For instance, when the apple crop got wiped out by midwestern drought a few years ago, the pacific northwest apple growers had a bumper crop.
Yeah, I consider 80% of the nation's Durum wheat is grown right here in ND. (Durum is the variety pasta is made from).--and that's just Durum, considerable quantities of other varieties are grown here as well.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #107 on: February 12, 2017, 10:10:08 pm »
Yeah, I consider 80% of the nation's Durum wheat is grown right here in ND. (Durum is the variety pasta is made from).--and that's just Durum, considerable quantities of other varieties are grown here as well.

Exactly. Plenty of corn, wheat, oats and soy grown all across the midwest for human and animal consumption. Sorgum seems to be on the rise around here in recent years for some reason. When I was a younf kid near Munith Michigan, spearmint was a crop that grew in the area a lot.

Cool old map showing our traditional farming areas and primary crops.

http://www.vox.com/a/explain-food-america
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 10:19:15 pm by Cripplecreek »

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #108 on: February 12, 2017, 10:16:07 pm »
Exactly. Plenty of corn, wheat, oats and soy grown all across the midwest for human and animal consumption. Sorgum seems to be on the rise around here in recent years for some reason. When I was a younf kid near Munith Michigan, spearmint was a crop that grew in the area a lot.
Some insight on sorghum popularityhttp://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/30/sorghum-syrup-grain-super_n_6063016.html

Between the gluten-free fad and the resistance to GMOs, it may well be the next 'big grain'.  It can be used to produce ethanol as well (not just whiskey), so the libs will likely embrace it.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #109 on: February 12, 2017, 10:33:24 pm »
Yes, but it still would have to go before Congress.  Article IV, Section 3, Clause 1:

"New States may be admitted by the Congress into this Union; but no new States shall be formed or erected within the Jurisdiction of any other State; nor any State be formed by the Junction of two or more States, or parts of States, without the Consent of the Legislatures of the States concerned as well as of the Congress."
At initial thought, that does not seem to have any bearing if a portion of a state wishes to secede from the state.  That portion just will not be a part of the USA.

It is likely that the last census will be used to re-allocate the representative districts due to the population loss and resultant loss of representation in Congress.

Having said that, there will have to be some type of way to account for federal ownership of lands and other items within the boundaries of that portion, so it might be a tough thing for that portion to actually accomplish.  There will have to be some way to allocate debt the US assumed while that portion was part of the US.

Bottomline:  Tough
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 10:45:39 pm by IsailedawayfromFR »
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

« Reply #110 on: February 12, 2017, 10:38:38 pm »

Where I live the wild hogs would consider that a delicacy if that technique was deployed, and there would be no parsnips come springtime.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #111 on: February 12, 2017, 10:40:37 pm »
Where I live the wild hogs would consider that a delicacy if that technique was deployed, and there would be no parsnips come springtime.
Can you shoot hogs over bait? (Bacon, bacon, bacon....)

C S Lewis

« Reply #112 on: February 12, 2017, 11:22:01 pm »
Can you shoot hogs over bait? (Bacon, bacon, bacon....)
I was just yesterday at the farm doing that over a turnip patch I had planted for the deer.

NO luck with the bacon.

Cameras showed me a big boar was there right before i got to stand.

We need to return to the subject of secession, am afraid this is going hog-wild off topic.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 11:23:06 pm by IsailedawayfromFR »

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #113 on: February 12, 2017, 11:26:45 pm »
I was just yesterday at the farm doing that over a turnip patch I had planted for the deer.

NO luck with the bacon.

Cameras showed me a big boar was there right before i got to stand.

We need to return to the subject of secession, am afraid this is going hog-wild off topic.
Okay, but Bacon is worth fighting for!  :silly:

C S Lewis

Offline verga

« Reply #114 on: February 13, 2017, 08:37:55 pm »
The people from the "posse comitatus" basically tried to do that. They claimed they did not have to abide by the laws of the state or country. It did not do them much good. Many of them ended up in the clink. Some were killed while resisting local police or FBI agents. The FBI agents in particular were not fond of the PC after two of their agents were murdered by PC leader Gordon Kahl back in the '80s.
But if anyone feels they have the right to declare themselves independent, I'm not going to stand in their  way. If you do so, please keep this forum apprised, if possible, of your progress in that area. :laugh:
@goatprairie About 20 years ago the father of a guy I worked with had himself declared a "Sovereign citizen" He paid no federal tax, Social security. He did pay a type of state tax and his electric was considered an import. He had his own well for water. It took him a good 5- 7 years to go through all the paperwork etc...
As you can imagine he was quite a charecter.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #115 on: February 13, 2017, 09:58:54 pm »

Citrus grows fine in AZ. My mother used to have a few Orange trees. Her biggest problems were shading them as the sun would burn the fruit and keeping the trees from growing so large that they formed a wall. The Co River has a ton of cotton/hay/alfalfa crops with a rapid grow/harvest cycle as well.