Author Topic: UK Speaker Bercow mocked, called a hypocrite over Trump Parliament snub  (Read 794 times)

Offline SirLinksALot

SOURCE: FOX NEWS

URL: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/02/07/uk-speaker-bercow-mocked-called-hypocrite-over-trump-snub.html

by Adam Shaw

The speaker of Britain's House of Commons sparked a backlash Monday after announcing he does not want President Trump to address Parliament – with opponents accusing him of hypocrisy for having welcomed leaders from places like North Korea.

Prime Minister Theresa May had invited Trump to make a state visit to the U.K. during her own trip to Washington last month. While travel plans have not been set, such state visits sometimes include an address to both Houses of Parliament.

However, Speaker John Bercow, who is supposed to be politically neutral in his role, said Monday he would oppose an address from Trump, particularly due to “the migrant ban.”

“An address by a foreign leader to other houses of Parliament is not an automatic right, it is an earned honor,” he said. “After the imposition of the migrant ban by President Trump, I am even more strongly opposed to an address by President Trump in Westminster Hall.”

For an address to Parliament to occur, an invite must be issued by speakers from both Houses of Parliaments, as well as the Lord Great Chamberlain on behalf of the Queen.

“I feel very strongly that our opposition to racism and to sexism, and our support for equality before the law and an independent judiciary are hugely important considerations in the House of Commons,” he said.

While the speaker’s remarks were welcomed by left-wing politicians -- with Green Party MP Caroline Lucas praising him for stopping May from “pimping out Parliament” -- others were livid. Conservative MP John Whittingdale called Bercow’s speech “a performance.”

“It was John Bercow playing to the gallery and I think it was damaging to the national interest,” he told Sky News.

Bercow also faced accusations of hypocrisy. U.K. political blog Guido Fawkes noted that leaders from China, Kuwait, Indonesia and Singapore – all countries with poor human rights records – have been welcomed to address Parliament by Bercow.

“Bercow lavished praise on the human rights abusing leaders of Kuwait, Indonesia, Singapore and China, yet bans Trump to grab headlines,” the blog said.

Kuwait has no laws criminalizing domestic violence or marital rape, while homosexuality is punishable by seven years in prison, according to Human Rights Watch. Bercow introduced Emir Sheikh Sabah al-Ahmad Al-Sabah in 2012, calling it his "privilege" to welcome the emir to Parliament.

Conservative MP Nadhim Zahawi said in a BBC interview that the invite to the Kuwait emir "exposes him to the accusation of hypocrisy" in the wake of his Trump statement.

CLICK ABOVE LINK FOR THE REST ...

geronl

Re: UK Speaker Bercow mocked, called a hypocrite over Trump Parliament snub
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2017, 09:48:27 pm »
Can the Speaker be removed?

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2017, 10:19:31 pm »
This is a job for Twitter.

I'd remind him that Obama isn't in office to apologize anymore and that despite his obvious ineptitude to hold his position, America won't retaliate economically against the British people as Obama did for real or imagined slights.

Then I'd remind him that because of Brexit and the pressure he will soon be under to extract Britain from the EU, trying to intentionally screw up relations with it's biggest trade partner would be pretty stupid. Let the press chew on that for a while.

Offline SirLinksALot

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2017, 10:26:08 pm »

In one of the forums, I found this answer:

So, if you want Bercow removed as Speaker you either need to one of the following.

1.Make him resign “willingly”

2. Kill him

3. Convict him of a serious offence (I imagine you'd need to fake the crime.... Bercow seems like a fairly clean bloke)

4. Falsify his financial or medical records to show him as being unsuitable for his position as an MP

Item 2 is generally frowned upon ( an understatement of course ).

Items 3 and 4 are both criminal offences - and untested water for removing Speakers - no Speaker has ever been removed through these channels before.

Item 1 is really the only real avenue for removing him - and Bercow seems to be a decent man ( whether you agree with his politics or not). I don't see him compromising on this matter!

The Speaker continues in their post until the dissolution of Parliament (or they resign/die) - and it is customary for the same person to be elected Speaker after the election, if they retained their seat, and if they still wished to be considered - and it should be noted that the House has never voted against a returning Speaker.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 10:26:53 pm by SirLinksALot »

Offline beandog

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2017, 10:58:25 pm »
In one of the forums, I found this answer:

So, if you want Bercow removed as Speaker you either need to one of the following.

1.Make him resign “willingly”

2. Kill him

3. Convict him of a serious offence (I imagine you'd need to fake the crime.... Bercow seems like a fairly clean bloke)

4. Falsify his financial or medical records to show him as being unsuitable for his position as an MP

Item 2 is generally frowned upon ( an understatement of course ).

Items 3 and 4 are both criminal offences - and untested water for removing Speakers - no Speaker has ever been removed through these channels before.

Item 1 is really the only real avenue for removing him - and Bercow seems to be a decent man ( whether you agree with his politics or not). I don't see him compromising on this matter!

The Speaker continues in their post until the dissolution of Parliament (or they resign/die) - and it is customary for the same person to be elected Speaker after the election, if they retained their seat, and if they still wished to be considered - and it should be noted that the House has never voted against a returning Speaker.
Sorry but a "decent" man does not welcome leaders from the countries he has and yet decides President the Donald is not welcome.  He is a phony, politics or not. **nononono*

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2017, 11:25:22 pm »

With great difficulty, unfortunately.  :shrug:
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2017, 05:09:47 am »
Over 1.8 million Britons have signed a petition to bar Trump from their parliament.

Which, considering the population of their country, is pretty sizeable.

Uh, no it's not. Can you do math? What percent is 1.8 mil of 65 mil? Not even 3%.