Author Topic: Ruth Bader Ginsburg: I'd like to change the Electoral College  (Read 1468 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Ruth Bader Ginsburg: I'd like to change the Electoral College
« on: February 07, 2017, 05:33:39 pm »

By Madeline Conway

02/07/17 11:02 AM EST

Ruth Bader Ginsburg said Monday that she’d like to change the Electoral College.

The Supreme Court justice, a liberal who has reached icon status for her many young followers, was at Stanford University on Monday night for a talk on the meaning of life when a student in the audience asked her what she’d like to change about society.

She offered that there are “some things I would like to change, one is the Electoral College,” without providing more details. She seemed like she was about to offer a caveat to that suggestion — “But that would…” she started — before she was interrupted by applause.

more
http://www.politico.com/story/2017/02/ruth-bader-ginsburg-electoral-college
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Frank Cannon

Re: Ruth Bader Ginsburg: I'd like to change the Electoral College
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2017, 05:40:31 pm »
I'm also sure she would like to appoint Presidents from the bench. Too bad for her this isn't the Soviet Union.

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2017, 05:41:13 pm »
"a liberal who has reached icon status"

Because liberal writers say so. If enough people pushed the meme that I was the greatest leaf raker of the modern age, people would come to accept that as 'fact' as well and I'd be an icon of leaf raking.

But saying a thing doesn't make it so. RBG is a 'propaganda poster'. not an 'Icon' in the traditional sense. But for the left, words and concepts are made to be 'molded' as they see fit.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2017, 05:52:38 pm »
The electoral votes per state are correlated with the population per census but I"m not sure if that is an accurate counting mechanism either with such factors as the non-citizen population, etc.

http://www.electproject.org/2016g

Online libertybele

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2017, 05:52:52 pm »

By Madeline Conway

02/07/17 11:02 AM EST

Ruth Bader Ginsburg said Monday that she’d like to change the Electoral College.

The Supreme Court justice, a liberal who has reached icon status for her many young followers, was at Stanford University on Monday night for a talk on the meaning of life when a student in the audience asked her what she’d like to change about society.

She offered that there are “some things I would like to change, one is the Electoral College,” without providing more details. She seemed like she was about to offer a caveat to that suggestion — “But that would…” she started — before she was interrupted by applause.

more
http://www.politico.com/story/2017/02/ruth-bader-ginsburg-electoral-college

Changing the electoral college would take an amendment to the Constitution. She cannot amend the Constitution and with any luck she'll be retiring soon.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2017, 05:56:32 pm »
Go back to sleep, Ruth.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2017, 05:59:01 pm »
Seeing her remaining years are few, she is trying to leave some type of mark.
The mark I think she made is that she has recused herself for her remaining term in office on any and all matters related to what might be brought up concerning the Electoral College.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2017, 06:04:02 pm »
The electoral votes per state are correlated with the population per census but I"m not sure if that is an accurate counting mechanism either with such factors as the non-citizen population, etc.

http://www.electproject.org/2016g
Then we need a constitutional amendment to change the language to say "number of American citizens" rather than simply "population".

No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline beandog

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2017, 06:07:25 pm »
I'd like to change the lifetime appointment of judges. :shrug:

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2017, 06:15:37 pm »
I'd like to change the lifetime appointment of judges. :shrug:

We would be better off selecting judges from a mix of names in a bag. Seriously.

Offline beandog

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2017, 06:16:58 pm »
We would be better off selecting judges from a mix of names in a bag. Seriously.
I think we do already. :silly:

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2017, 06:33:14 pm »
I expect Ginsburg may last a lot longer.

My mother turned 92 last month, and is failing both physically and mentally...but it has been gradual.

My MIL turns 90 in May, and she remains very alert mentally. Physical not so good.

My point is don't get hopes up about Ginsberg. If Obama and the entire democrat establishment couldn't persuade her to step down, I doubt she will leave the court, short of death.

I am not aware of a provision concerning mental failure, of sitting justices--is there?
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Wingnut

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2017, 06:36:19 pm »
Seeing her remaining years are few, she is trying to leave some type of mark.

If she want to leave a make,  let her tie a coffee bean to her butt and scoot across the SC floor.  Then retire.

geronl

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2017, 06:37:12 pm »
She needs help changing her Depends

Online libertybele

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2017, 07:02:01 pm »
I expect Ginsburg may last a lot longer.

My mother turned 92 last month, and is failing both physically and mentally...but it has been gradual.

My MIL turns 90 in May, and she remains very alert mentally. Physical not so good.

My point is don't get hopes up about Ginsberg. If Obama and the entire democrat establishment couldn't persuade her to step down, I doubt she will leave the court, short of death.

I am not aware of a provision concerning mental failure, of sitting justices--is there?

I couldn't agree more. My father in-law will be 92 in April. He lives on his own and cares for himself. He is starting to show some signs of dementia (and now there's effective medications) that has been slow to develop but most days he does quite well.  He's survived several heart attacks and two bypasses and other than the normal aches and pains is doing quite well.  Ginsburg is only 83 years old.  I too feel she has some years ahead of her.  While there are a couple of justices up in age, there is no guarantee that any one of them is going to retire (especially now) or pass away during Trump's term, nor is there any guarantee that the GOP will retain the White House in 2020.   Yes, statistically due to life expectancy, the potential that he will need to nominate another justice is high, but again, no guarantees.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline SirLinksALot

« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2017, 07:11:24 pm »
Go back to sleep, Ruth.

This Ruth on the other hand, might have made a better Justice (I think they're about the same age today too ):

« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 07:12:15 pm by SirLinksALot »

Offline Doug Loss

• Proud Tennessean
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2017, 07:41:21 pm »

So rather than a jury pool we'd have a justice pool?  I'd like to have my name removed from the Judge Duty roster, please. 
My political philosophy:

1) I'm not bothering anybody.
2) It's none of your business.
3) Leave me alone!

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2017, 03:43:20 am »
Norm wrote (regardin' Ruth):
"a liberal who has reached icon status"

Next status:
Embalmment.

Onward, Ruthie!

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2017, 03:59:54 am »

What's she gonna do?  Declare it unconstitutional?
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-