Author Topic: Trump May Be Correct: CNN's Latest Immigration Poll Includes Aggressive "Oversample"  (Read 926 times)

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
Trump May Be Correct: CNN's Latest Immigration Poll Includes Aggressive "Oversample"

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-02-06/cnn-latest-immigration-ban-poll-includes-aggressive-oversample-trump-blasts-fake-new

In a mini tweet storm released earlier this morning, President Trump blasted the "negative polls" of "fake news" outlets "CNN, ABC and NBC" after a couple of polls from the weekend seemingly revealed that the American people largely opposed his executive order on immigration.

snip - tweets at source

So, we decided to take a look at the latest such poll from CNN and "shockingly" found that Trump kind of has a point.  For some reason, CNN/ORC simply can't seem to conduct a poll where the distribution of respondents mirrors the actual distribution of registered voters in the U.S.  As you can see below, in the latest "oversample" farce, CNN decided that filling it's poll with Democrats was becoming way too obvious and, as such, just decided that 45% of registered voters are suddenly independent.  From the polling methodology:

A total of 1,002 adults were interviewed by telephone nationwide by live interviewers calling both landline and cell phones. Among the entire sample, 29% described themselves as Democrats, 25% described themselves as Republicans, and 45% described themselves as independents or members of another party.

Of course, as we've pointed out multiple times, actual voter registration numbers are no where near CNN/ORC's latest distribution.

snip

Offline DiogenesLamp

Using the power of the broadcasting system to manipulate voters ought to be illegal.   There ought to be civil and criminal penalties for people who misuse the public airwaves.   

« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 02:41:16 pm by DiogenesLamp »
‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
I don' t see what this proves. Why would oversampling independents go one way or the other.

Zero hedge is really reaching here. But then again, they're one of the biggest purveyors of fake news. They've been predicting economic collapse for the last 10 years. Hasn't happened.

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
I'd like for Trump's  people to coach him up to  use better, more concise words in his tweets. "Fake" and "unfair' are getting trite from overuse. How about: "Deck stacked by over sampling." or "CNN knows the results they want."

@LonestarDream

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
I don' t see what this proves. Why would oversampling independents go one way or the other.

Zero hedge is really reaching here. But then again, they're one of the biggest purveyors of fake news. They've been predicting economic collapse for the last 10 years. Hasn't happened.

CNN over sampled independents by at least 10%.

• Technical
I'd like for Trump's  people to coach him up to  use better, more concise words in his tweets. "Fake" and "unfair' are getting trite from overuse. How about: "Deck stacked by over sampling." or "CNN knows the results they want."

@LonestarDream

Trump sounds like an SJW snowflake when he whines about something being "unfair".

Offline musiclady

Trump sounds like an SJW snowflake when he whines about something being "unfair".

Get used to it.  It's who he is. 

He's every bit as much of a snowflake as Obama, only Obama didn't advertise it daily in tweets, so it was more hidden.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline LonestarDream

The 2007 financial crisis is something.  1.3 trillion dollars of college debt is preventing kids from moving out of their parents house is another crushing disaster.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 07:33:31 pm by LonestarDream »
(?) Trump Realist    (*) Trump believer   (?) Never Trump,   Which are you ?

Offline DiogenesLamp

CNN over sampled independents by at least 10%.

And doubtlessly they find their "Independents"  in places like New York or Berkley. 

‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Offline DiogenesLamp

The 2007 financial crisis is something.  1.3 trillion dollars of college debt is preventing kids from moving out of their parents house is another crushing disaster.

College should not cost so much.   It is government loans and financing of "College"  that cause it to be so incredibly expensive.   If it operated on a free market system,  it would be reasonable enough for everyone to afford without taking out massive loans. 

You can learn D@mn near anything for free.
  That they charge so much for "credentialism"  is a scam. 

The existing system empowers and enriches a class of the Liberal elite.   That's why it persists. 

— Lord Melbourne —

Offline Frank Cannon

So letting a corrupt poll that other news outlets are using to fit their narrative stand as the truth is a good policy? This is the crap that Bush would ignore and ended up leaving him extremely hated.

Offline LonestarDream

College should not cost so much.   It is government loans and financing of "College"  that cause it to be so incredibly expensive.   If it operated on a free market system,  it would be reasonable enough for everyone to afford without taking out massive loans. 

You can learn D@mn near anything for free.
  That they charge so much for "credentialism"  is a scam. 

The existing system empowers and enriches a class of the Liberal elite.   That's why it persists.

Zero Hedge is thought provoking.  While perpetually bullish on Gold, some of its predictions have come to pass.   Along with some UK papers like the daily mail, it raises issues New York times, and the alphabet networks will never cover.

CNN is sworn political enemy of Trump , Cruz and all conservatives.  CNN defines fake news.

Anything published should be presumed false , until proven otherwise.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 07:54:57 pm by LonestarDream »

Offline LonestarDream

So letting a corrupt poll that other news outlets are using to fit their narrative stand as the truth is a good policy? This is the crap that Bush would ignore and ended up leaving him extremely hated.

Well said.

Offline Rivergirl

You can be sure that the polling question did not ask if people who had green cards and were legal residents should have been declared undesirables and refused re-entry.

Offline DiogenesLamp

Zero Hedge is thought provoking.  While perpetually bullish on Gold, some of its predictions have come to pass.   Along with some UK papers like the daily mail, it raises issues New York times, and the alphabet networks will never cover.

I agree.   I see criticism of Zero Hedge that it is always predicting financial collapse but it hasn't happened yet.   I see this as a lot like predicting an avalanche.   You can see the snow building up,  but you just don't know how to tell when it is about to give.   

Zero Hedge is pointing out that the fundamentals indicate a serious correction in the future.  Anyone who has been paying attention knows this.   We have 20 trillion in acknowledged debt and about 100 trillion in unfunded obligations.    Something is going to break eventually. 

And yes,  often you must turn to foreign media to get information which is censored in this country by the existing liberal media alliance. 

CNN is sworn political enemy of Trump , Cruz and all conservatives.  CNN defines fake news.

Anything published should be presumed false , until proven otherwise.

CNN,  New York Times,  Washington Post,  Huffington Post,  and so forth.   It's pretty much fake news all the way down. 

I don't understand why supposed conservatives on this site would post anything from any of those companies.   It just puts money in their pockets and enhances their influence. 

— Lord Melbourne —

• Technical

Welp it ain't making Trump loved that's for sure.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"

Certainly not by the media, anyway.

I'm more sympathetic to Trump on this than I am with respect to some of the other stupid statements he makes.  He very likely has internal polling telling him that these polls are bogus, and if I were him, I'd trust my internal polling over the public stuff anyway.  Seemed to work out for him in the election....

Offline Frank Cannon

He maybe not popular in your household, but the generic GOP'ers in my area like what he is doing so far. Some of them didn't even vote for him because they thought he wasn't going to do anything he said.

You'll have to realize that most people don't follow Twitter (as evidenced by their extreme problems growing and sagging business model). All the stuff Donny is doing beyond actual work in office are not even on most folks radar.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
FTA:

A total of 1,002 adults were interviewed by telephone nationwide by live interviewers calling both landline and cell phones.

When did it become legal to cold-call cell phones?
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed: