Author Topic: Don't call pregnant patients 'mothers': Doctors are banned from using the word over fears it will upset those who are transgender  (Read 829 times)

Wingnut

Official guidelines issued by the British Medical Association says mothers-to-be-should be referred to as 'pregnant people'

NHS doctors have been told not to call pregnant women ‘expectant mothers’ because it might offend transgender people, The Mail on Sunday can reveal.

The astonishing warning comes in official guidelines issued by the British Medical Association to its 160,000 members, which says mothers-to-be should be referred to as ‘pregnant people’ instead.

The controversial advice to doctors in hospitals and general practice comes just weeks after it emerged that a Briton who was born a girl but is changing to a man put his operation on hold to have a baby.

Four-months pregnant Hayden Cross, 20, is legally male and has had hormone treatment but not sex-change surgery.

There are no other known cases of a transitioning person becoming pregnant in the UK, but official figures show 775,000 women give birth in Britain every year.

Despite this, the BMA insists doctors should drop the word ‘mother’ when referring to pregnancy to avoid offending transgender people and to ‘celebrate diversity’.

The contentious call is made in a 14-page booklet called A Guide To Effective Communication: Inclusive Language In The Workplace.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4167632/Don-t-call-pregnant-patients-mothers.html#ixzz4XC0pzMeL
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 10:35:29 pm by Wingnut »

Offline montanajoe

Official guidelines issued by the British Medical Association says mothers-to-be-should be referred to as 'pregnant people'

So pregnant people become mothers who knew :shrug:

If anyone has been paying attention they would not be surprised by this, the medical profession has been in the forefront of the politically correct BS and the "this is good this is bad for you" hysteria for years while lining their pockets with billions in tax payer money.

Whenever I get sick enough to go to the VA, I only tell them whats troubling me and lie trough my teeth when they get to the invasive "lifestyle" questions.