Author Topic: White House press secretary says border wall will be funded by 20% import tax on Mexican goods  (Read 13715 times)

Offline Frank Cannon

And when Boeing products cost more they won't sell as many.

Well there isn't any Mexican tariff now so why isn't anyone buying Boeing planes anymore? Oh yeah. They're selling shit that catches fire....

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
There is a federal law regarding withholding, for real estate transactions involving foreign entities.

I wasn't thinking about a real estate transaction, but rather that $100 sent 'home' to relatives, etc..  It's in the billions of $$$.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

HonestJohn

Assuming the American consumer has no choice but to buy Mexican stuff.

But they do have a choice.

Examples?

HonestJohn

Are you serious?

How do you think Mexican businesses will react when facing the possibility of being cut off from the American market?

We have the leverage Its time we used it to our benefit.

Market in Europe and Asia.  After all, they already speak one EU language...

And China's car market is going like gangbusters.

HonestJohn

Are you serious?

How do you think Mexican businesses will react when facing the possibility of being cut off from the American market?

We have the leverage Its time we used it to our benefit.

Have you ever been involved in a negotiation?

The US makes up 1/5 of the world economy. 

We have leverage, but not as much as you think.

HonestJohn

We, Boeing  already charge too much, which tops the list of customers complaints. Airbus undercuts us every chance they get, and now with China, Russia, and Canada getting into the competitive size jet manufacturing, competition for market share only gets tougher.

Brazil makes a very good small commercial passenger jet, the Embraer.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embraer

Offline Frank Cannon

And China's car market is going like gangbusters.

No it's not. It's in the toilet. They are only expecting 4% growth there this year and that is after they cut their car tax by 50%.

HonestJohn

No it's not. It's in the toilet. They are only expecting 4% growth there this year and that is after they cut their car tax by 50%.

Which is one of the hottest car markets in the world.

Offline NavyCanDo

Well there isn't any Mexican tariff now so why isn't anyone buying Boeing planes anymore? Oh yeah. They're selling shit that catches fire....

You do realise Boeing delivered more airplanes than Airbus in 2016?  When I hired in Boeing was building 16 737s a month.  Today we are building 42 a month, in June to be bumped up to 47, and to 52 in 2018, and the backlog goes out years and sales are hot, so there is serious talk about 60 APM and beyond.Yes sales for the large airplanes have dropped off, but Airbus has suffered the same fait. So before trash talking Boeing know a little about it.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline Frank Cannon

So before trash talking Boeing know a little about it.

I know all about it. Everyone knows all about it. 787 were catching fire. Orders were cancelled. Now all Boeing has to peddel is a plane introduced when Charles Manson was still building his cult (the 737).

Boeing is supposed to be better than Airbus. They're not.

Online mountaineer

Posted at Twitter:

Lindsey Graham Verified account
‏@LindseyGrahamSC

Simply put, any policy proposal which drives up costs of Corona, tequila, or margaritas is a big-time bad idea. Mucho Sad. (2)
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline NavyCanDo

I know all about it. Everyone knows all about it. 787 were catching fire. Orders were cancelled. Now all Boeing has to peddel is a plane introduced when Charles Manson was still building his cult (the 737).

Boeing is supposed to be better than Airbus. They're not.

Then you would know that 787 orders have been climbing each year since 2013, even with the battery fire situation that was resolved. And you would know that the 737NG and the brand new 737MAX are similar to the original 737 only in class size. They are nothing like the classic model, and I have worked on all of them. It would be like saying the 2017 Ford Mustang is the same car as the 1971 Mustang.    And you would also know that the backlog for the 737NG and MAX is nearly 5000 airplanes.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 01:20:01 pm by NavyCanDo »
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
Then you would know that 787 orders have been climbing each year since 2013, even with the battery fire situation that was resolved. And you would know that the 737NG and the brand new 737MAX are similar to the original 737 only in class size. They are nothing like the classic model, and I have worked on all of them.

He didn't paint a target on Boeing for his drones to think about. He painted a target on Boeing for the drones to attack.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 02:18:05 pm by mystery-ak »

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
But Orange Glorious didn't paint a target on Boeing for his drones to think about. He painted a target on Boeing for the drones to attack.

Which is exactly what they're doing. Just look at this thread.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
A 20% tax on all imports??? They are insane.

Here's what I understand.  Trump is apparently warming to the House GOP's idea of a "border adjustment" component to the U.S. corporate income tax.   Border adjustments are apparently typically used in countries that have value-added taxes, which tax domestic consumption.  (I haven't heard that we're considering a VAT, although those who favor the "fair tax" would probably prefer it to the alternative of taxing income.) 

The House plan would drop the corporate tax rate from 35% to 20%, but with the following border adjustment twist:   Companies would be prevented from deducting expenses on imported goods in calculating that lower income tax rate.   On the other hand,  they would be allowed to exempt exports from their taxable income entirely.

Such a corporate tax rate cut coupled with border adjustment will have winners and losers; it wouldn't be designed to punish Mexico or companies that operate in Mexico,  but it will have its greatest impact on countries, like Mexico, with which we routinely run trade deficits.   

I'm sympathetic to the idea of APOLITICAL tariffs or border adjustments as described above.   For decades,  the tax and trading systems have favored consumers at the expense of workers,  and that needs to be brought back into balance.   Yes,  consumer prices would rise,  but so would domestic wages and the prospect for better, more permanent jobs.   

But it's crazy for Trump to be running his mouth to piss off Mexico for no valid reason.  Mexico's not responsible for the recklessness of Trump's campaign rhetoric.   Mexico's also not responsible for our illegal immigration problem - that's entirely on us and the needs of our economy.    Mexicans come here because American employers want them.   They may work cheaper than Americans,  but they are also often more reliable and harder-working.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Frank Cannon

Which is exactly what they're doing. Just look at this thread.

No. It's what I am doing personally because I, Frank Cannon, all by myself thinks Boeing sucks. Who else on this thread is calling out the company that just announced huge layoffs and has had serious build issues.....

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/12/19/boeing-plans-further-cost-reductions-in-2017-including-voluntary-layoffs.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_787_Dreamliner_battery_problems

I don't give a shit what any of you geniuses say here, when I am booking flights and I see a 787 as the plane I look elsewhere.

In conclusion Boeing effing sucks.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
No. It's what I am doing personally because I, Frank Cannon, all by myself thinks Boeing sucks. Who else on this thread is calling out the company that just announced huge layoffs and has had serious build issues.....

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/12/19/boeing-plans-further-cost-reductions-in-2017-including-voluntary-layoffs.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_787_Dreamliner_battery_problems

I don't give a shit what any of you geniuses say here, when I am booking flights and I see a 787 as the plane I look elsewhere.

Ok your fixiated on one plane that you don't like.

Ever hear the term cutting off your nose despite your face?  If not you should look it up.

If you don't like the fact that Boeing is the only civilian aircraft manufacturer left in the U.S....then write your congressman and senators and make a case for bringing an anti-trust paperwork against them for having a monopoly.

BTW...when you have something shipped FedEx or UPS do you check to make see if it's being flown on a Boeing aircraft too?

Just curious... :whistle:
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Cripplecreek

Too much fixation on corporate tax rates and the distraction of Mexico as the enemy.

People need to take a long hard look at how manufacturing is taxed in this country and kill it.

Does it make sense for a factory owner to pay taxes every year on a screw machine his great grandfather bought a century ago? Does it make sense to tax the ore, then tax the refined metal, then tax the screw made out of that metal, then tax the part the screw goes into, then tax the car the part went into? Anybody who has ever worked in a factory knows what its like to hide as much inventory as possible every 3 months.

Kill those taxes and you will create jobs and when those jobs begin to be created we can start whittling away at corporate tax rates.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Too much fixation on corporate tax rates and the distraction of Mexico as the enemy.

People need to take a long hard look at how manufacturing is taxed in this country and kill it.

Does it make sense for a factory owner to pay taxes every year on a screw machine his great grandfather bought a century ago? Does it make sense to tax the ore, then tax the refined metal, then tax the screw made out of that metal, then tax the part the screw goes into, then tax the car the part went into? Anybody who has ever worked in a factory knows what its like to hide as much inventory as possible every 3 months.

Kill those taxes and you will create jobs and when those jobs begin to be created we can start whittling away at corporate tax rates.

@Cripplecreek agreed.  Corporate income tax is the highest in the world and capital gains taxes are out of control too.

IIRC we're towards the bottom of the list as far as business friendly countries go.

All of that needs to change.  6% cut on corporate taxes 5% on capital gains would go a long way towards helping that.

But because we have a society distracted by shiny things...and a POTUS who gets that way as well...it's all about a 20% tax thing with Mexico....which at the end of the day solves nothing.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline jpsb

"Mexico is the second largest customer for American-made products in the world"

Going out on a limb, I think this is a very miss leading stat. I'm willing to bet most of the "American-made products" are exported back to the USA as a finished product. In other words we send them the parts and they send the finished product back to the US market to be sold.

Might be wrong but that is my guess. Also we get a lot of our oil from Mexico, since we are not self sufficient in oil it would be foolish to impose a duty on oil.

I'm guessing this is the stick but there most likely is a carrot somewhere.

Offline Frank Cannon

Ok your fixiated on one plane that you don't like.

Ever hear the term cutting off your nose despite your face?  If not you should look it up.

If you don't like the fact that Boeing is the only civilian aircraft manufacturer left in the U.S....then write your congressman and senators and make a case for bringing an anti-trust paperwork against them for having a monopoly.

BTW...when you have something shipped FedEx or UPS do you check to make see if it's being flown on a Boeing aircraft too?

Just curious... :whistle:

That's absurd. When the plane goes down with my shipment of widgets, I am not dead. If my ass is on the plane and it goes down I am. See why I don't give a shit about my Fed Ex shipments?

It's my money and I get to spend it the way I want and I don't give a shit what a pack of annonymous nobodies on a political forum have to say about shit.

I also don't see these 787 setting the world on fire (except in a very literal sense) with sales and confidence, so I am not the only bastard out there with this opinion.

Offline jpsb

Boeing Shares Reach All-Time High as Airlines Embrace 787 Dreamliners

https://skift.com/2017/01/25/boeing-shares-reach-all-time-high-as-airlines-embrace-787-dreamliners/

Offline Cripplecreek

@Cripplecreek agreed.  Corporate income tax is the highest in the world and capital gains taxes are out of control too.

IIRC we're towards the bottom of the list as far as business friendly countries go.

All of that needs to change.  6% cut on corporate taxes 5% on capital gains would go a long way towards helping that.

But because we have a society distracted by shiny things...and a POTUS who gets that way as well...it's all about a 20% tax thing with Mexico....which at the end of the day solves nothing.

Rick Snyder hasn't gone far enough and he tends to favor some industries over others but he has done some good and outside the box things like eliminating business property tax meaning that things like business computers, desks, copiers etc aren't taxed. He didn't go far enough and favored white collar business but it was a step in the right direction.