Author Topic: Trump reportedly insists healthcare replacement will have 'insurance for everybody'  (Read 5965 times)

Offline Just_Victor

Moved to Politics
@Mod1

Not that it matters terribly, but why is this politics?  Seems like a government policy issue to me.

More exposure for the thread in politics, but I just like to get the category right to start with.  Just wanna understand.
If all I want is a warm feeling, I should just wet my pants.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
@Mod1

Not that it matters terribly, but why is this politics?  Seems like a government policy issue to me.

More exposure for the thread in politics, but I just like to get the category right to start with.  Just wanna understand.

If it's something with TRUMP INSISTS.....to many, it's POLITICS.

Maybe if the article was dated 1/21/17??   :laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline endicom

What do you think would happen if the government got the hell out of the way and allowed everyone to buy a health insurance policy from wherever they liked tailored to their individual current circumstances and allowed them to change that coverage on an annual basis as their circumstances changed?

That can't be done overnight. Not individuals or medical practitioners or insurance companies would know what to do.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Don't worry, he is from the government and he is here to help.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan

That can't be done overnight. Not individuals or medical practitioners or insurance companies would know what to do.

LOL!  They would figure it out in one hell of a hurry!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
The Republic is lost.

Offline bilo

"Spin"?   Gimme a break.

The so-called 20 million that have insurance only because of the ACA is most likely 10 million.

They can be added to Medicaid.   Problem solved...in a sense that the rest of the country won't be bankrupted by a government mandated "tax" and outrageous monthly premiums and deductibles.

Let the free-market determine the costs...letting insurers cross State lines for customers.

You're right.

Let people decide what they want and can afford. What obamacare promoted was the idea that people can get something for nothing. It's a sophomoric and dangerous idea. The poor and the people who don't want to pay for their health insurance have always had healthcare available to them in emergency rooms and at county hospitals. The quality of care is less than in teaching hospitals, but it is basic care. obamacare gave these people the idea that they were going to get the same care as "people who pay for health insurance". The opposite occurred. Teaching hospitals, elite clinics, and large numbers of doctors stopped taking insurance from obamacare plans because the reimbursement was too low, too much regulation and slow pay.

There are no free lunches, everything has a price it's just who's going to pay for it.

A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline r9etb

"We’re going to have insurance for everybody. There was a philosophy in some circles that if you can’t pay for it, you don’t get it. That’s not going to happen with us.”

Hmmm...can't wait to see how the Trump supporters are going to spin this :silly:

Something along the lines of you can't believe anything he says.. :shrug:

I'm no Trump supporter, but as a matter of politics he is correct to say this -- we can debate the moral principle some other time. 

There is no way that the political climate would support a repeal/replace effort that did not at least make the effort to provide medical access those who are uninsured.

Offline r9etb

You're right, but here on the Internet considerations of time and practicalities generally have no place in the conversation.

Offline skeeter

I'm no Trump supporter, but as a matter of politics he is correct to say this -- we can debate the moral principle some other time. 

There is no way that the political climate would support a repeal/replace effort that did not at least make the effort to provide medical access those who are uninsured.

You may be right but for once it would be nice if some political consideration were paid to those of us who are suffering financial hardship right now as a direct consequence of ACA.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
FREEDOM!!!  We should try it again!

If corporate America was able to read, assimilate, and plan to accept the ACA, they can plan to accept the loss of tax incentives and to move away from the constraints (demands?) of ERISA. They have been reducing the cost of pensions by moving away from defined benefit programs (something governments should emulate), so it would return to being a true perq for those companies who decide to offer it. There was no 'problem' when the ACA was instituted as there was collaboration between the fed government and the private sector. We have enough intelligence to be able to do it again by implementing a policy that moves away from it. It has only been in existence for two years so it is not truly ingrained in our collective conscience yet (although that is what the proponents want us to believe).

« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 05:06:16 pm by Bigun »

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline r9etb

You may be right but for once it would be nice if some political consideration were paid to those of us who are suffering financial hardship right now as a direct consequence of ACA.

A bunch of my self-employed friends would agree with you.

But that would be the point of repeal/replace, wouldn't it?  The ruinous cost increases can in large part -- though probably not entirely -- be laid at the feet of the intrusive regulations attached to the ACA structure: things that must be covered; restrictions on what sorts of plans can be offered; and so on.  The consequences of the ACA were readily predictable, and things pretty much ended up that way -- although the attendant well-nigh criminal bungling of the IT and processing side was far worse than anybody expected.

Rolling back the regulations would be a great start; and means-tested subsidies for getting insurance would be a lot easier and cheaper than the mess we have now.

But this would not really address the broader issues of high medical costs.  My sense of the "medical market" is that insurance badly warps its economic basis.  There are few true market forces at work in the medical industry -- it's more about what insurance plans are accepted by which doctors; and what's covered by which plan, which is little different from the bureaucratic process by which the ACA coverage rules are defined.  In addition, a lot of what people call "insurance," is really cost-sharing, particularly where prescription drugs are concerned. 

Insurance raises overhead by a lot, too -- every doctor's office has at least one or two people whose full-time job it is to do insurance stuff.

I don't really know what the answer is; but I do think that more of the same isn't it.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
"Spin"?   Gimme a break.

The so-called 20 million that have insurance only because of the ACA is most likely 10 million.

They can be added to Medicaid.   Problem solved...in a sense that the rest of the country won't be bankrupted by a government mandated "tax" and outrageous monthly premiums and deductibles.

Let the free-market determine the costs...letting insurers cross State lines for customers.

OMG!  The end has come!

Something DC and I are in complete agreement on!

BTW, ObamaCare has essentially just dumped everyone into Medicaid - the next major 'too-big-to-fail program that is about to collapse.

By design.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Online DCPatriot

OMG!  The end has come!

BTW, ObamaCare has essentially just dumped everyone into Medicaid - the next major 'too-big-to-fail program that is about to collapse.

By design.

:beer:

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
OMG!  The end has come!

By design.

Obamacare was designed to be a vehicle for the ultimate goal of the left, single payer! It was designed to fail from day one!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online DCPatriot

Obamacare was designed to be a vehicle for the ultimate goal of the left, single payer! It was designed to fail from day one!

...and also it was their vehicle to speed up the demise of the Baby Boomers still able to cast their votes for their opposition.

No government should be the sole arbiter of who gets treatment and who doesn't.   

And especially, not with the LEFT having a stranglehold on the Supreme Court...which was their goal.

Offline Suppressed

My understanding is the single most effective way of lowering drugs prices is for the government to speed up it's approval process.

There are things that have been safely used worldwide for 15 years before the US catches up and approves.  It's ridiculous.

But the FDA has more important things to do, like the ban on Dial soap that takes effect in 2017.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline GrouchoTex

That is the solution to most of our issues, isn't it?
Get the government out of the way.

My insurance story isn't as drastic as some of yours here have been, but it was an eye-opener nonetheless.

In 2004, I quit my job to work for a company out of England, that opened an office if the US.
That first year, while they were dotting all the eyes on the Legal Corporate US paperwork, I was contract labor, with no company insurance.
Well, I did get sick, and I went to see my primary doctor (I had this same doc for over 20 years).
I had to pay cash. His office visit was $50.00, but I noticed that he would charge the insurance company 75.00 when I was insured.
Also, he gave me antibiotic samples, rather than a prescription, so he worked with me on the side of things.
I have to see him tomorrow morning actually.

So if the Doctors weren't required to take certain insurances at certain levels of reimbursement, they wouldn't jack up other services to make up the difference.
Medicare and Medicaid and large insurance companies, basically tell the doctors and the hospitals what dollar amount they will pay for X,Y, and Z, challenging heath care providers to get pretty creative of making up the difference somehow.
I have to see him tomorrow morning actually.

BTW, Trump told us all on a CNN town hall that he liked the Mandate, but some of us chose not to believe him.
This should come as no surprise to anyone.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 07:29:31 pm by GrouchoTex »

Offline montanajoe

"Spin"?   Gimme a break.

Hey pal, you voted for and continue to support this fool so don't expect any breaks from me...

Keep telling yourself your excuses, spin, whatever are insightful...I'm looking forward to the entertainment you and your fellow travelers  will provide over the next four years :tongue2:

Online LMAO

Don't worry, he is from the government and he is here to help.

Took a peek over at FR to gauge the reaction to this. It seems many aren't too happy with him on this
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline endicom

You're right, but here on the Internet considerations of time and practicalities generally have no place in the conversation.

Yeah, I can do pretty much anything while sitting in this chair. But then I stand and things start getting complicated.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Wait...I thought single payer was a bad thing?
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Online DCPatriot

Hey pal, you voted for and continue to support this fool so don't expect any breaks from me...

Keep telling yourself your excuses, spin, whatever are insightful...I'm looking forward to the entertainment you and your fellow travelers  will provide over the next four years :tongue2:

:beer:   I hope it will be as exciting for you...as it will be for me.

Offline CSM

This is the single biggest reason that I could not vote for this "Republican."  I don't want Conservatives to be shackled by the coming failures of Progressive policies.  This will shift the failure of Obamacare over to the R's and we will have another lost decade of voters. 

Thanks Trump....your Progressivism is about to destroy the few remaining Conservatives that remain. 

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
This is the single biggest reason that I could not vote for this "Republican."  I don't want Conservatives to be shackled by the coming failures of Progressive policies.  This will shift the failure of Obamacare over to the R's and we will have another lost decade of voters. 

Thanks Trump....your Progressivism is about to destroy the few remaining Conservatives that remain.

:beer:
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!