Author Topic: Obama surprises Joe Biden by awarding him the Presidential Medal of Freedom  (Read 3788 times)

Offline SirLinksALot

SOURCE: WASHINGTON POST

URL: https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/obama-surprises-biden-with-medal-of-freedom/2017/01/12/31aa24a0-d90c-11e6-9a36-1d296534b31e_story.html

by Greg Jaffe

President Obama awarded the nation’s highest civilian honor, the Presidential Medal of Freedom, to a shocked Vice President Biden on Thursday at the White House.

Biden and the president had gathered with others for what the White House had described as a final tribute to the vice president.

The event began with a playful and heartfelt tribute from Obama to one of his closest friends and confidants in Washington. As he finished his remarks, the president asked one of his military aides to come to the stage.

“For the final time as president I am pleased to award our nation’s highest civilian honor . . .” Obama began as a Marine officer bearing the medal stood by.

Biden immediately spun around, turning his back to the crowd, and wiped his face and eyes with his handkerchief. The president bestowed the medal “with distinction,” an additional level of veneration that his three immediate predecessors had reserved for only three others — Pope John Paul II, former president Ronald Reagan and Gen. Colin Powell.

“I had no inkling,” Biden said after the medal was draped around his neck. “I thought we were going . . . to toast one another and say what an incredible journey it has been.”

In his remarks, Biden praised Obama for serving the nation with dignity and insisted that he was not worthy of the honor.

“I don’t deserve this,” the vice president said repeatedly.

Obama described Biden as a “lion of American history” and praised his long service in the Senate. As vice president, Biden’s influence has spanned both domestic and international policy initiatives. He was a critical voice in crafting strategy in the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan and in encouraging Obama to send Navy SEALs on a mission to capture or kill Osama bin Laden in 2011.

Biden also helped oversee the president’s first-term economic stimulus package and pressed unsuccessfully for gun-control legislation after the killing of 20 children at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn.

CLICK ABOVE LINK FOR THE REST
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 02:58:10 am by SirLinksALot »

Offline Night Hides Not

For once I agree with Biden. I have no idea what he's done to deserve this award.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline skeeter

For once I agree with Biden. I have no idea what he's done to deserve this award.
I've never seen anything like this - these two clowns awarding each other these medals.

Offline Frank Cannon

That's why these awards are nothing but meaningless garbage.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil

I like it when we can agree!  This I agree with.  How many medals did he drape over Hollyweed stars?
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Wingnut

I saw the video, I think Obama started to give Joe a reach-a-round but stopped short.

Offline Frank Cannon

I like it when we can agree!  This I agree with.  How many medals did he drape over Hollyweed stars?

This award is like getting a toaster when you open a checking account anymore.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
This award is like getting a toaster when you open a checking account anymore.

True!
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
I've never seen anything like this - these two clowns awarding each other these medals.
Well, not since kerry hurple farted himself out of Vietnam.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
He gave the dummy nothing but meaningless air,and the dummy thought it means something.

Just another dumbass leftist participation award.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist

Former Congressman Under Fire for Tweeting That Joe Biden ‘Doesn’t Deserve’ Medal of Freedom

Tierney McAfee
People
January 13, 2017

Joe Biden is known for getting along with politicians on both sides of the aisle, but one former Republican congressman wasn’t happy about the vice president being awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom by President Barack Obama on Thursday.

Former Republican Rep. Tim Huelskamp of Kansas took to Twitter on Thursday night to voice his disapproval, tweeting: “For once, @JoeBiden and I agree: he doesn’t deserve this honor.”
More

Offline skeeter

He gave the dummy nothing but meaningless air,and the dummy thought it means something.

Just another dumbass leftist participation award.

You're just jealous of their major awards.

There's only one more award I'd like to see Obama receive.

Wingnut

Psst Joe...I can get you a Purple Heart to go with it. Trust Me.  I know

Offline dfwgator

You're just jealous of their major awards.

Offline dfwgator

Offline Applewood

Wikipedia has a description of the criteria for choosing the award recipient.  Hell, my cat would qualify. 

And notice how many recipients are in sports or entertainment, particularly the ones who received the medal from Obama:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Presidential_Medal_of_Freedom_recipients

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Matt Lauer: I 'burst out crying' at Biden's Medal of Freedom
The Hill, Jan 13, 2017, Joe Concha

NBC's Matt Lauer says he was reduced to tears when he watched President Obama surprise Vice President Biden with the Presidential Medal of Freedom on Thursday.

"I'm glad there were no cameras in my apartment yesterday because I was just sitting there weeping ... I just burst out crying when I saw that moment. It was incredible,” Lauer, who recently signed a reported $20 million per year contract extension through 2018, said Friday on "Today."

The waterworks were on for Biden himself as well on Thursday when Obama shocked his vice president with the Medal of Freedom. Biden had to turn from the cameras momentarily to compose himself.

NBC News’s chief foreign affairs correspondent, Andrea Mitchell, shared the same sentiment in a report recapping the medal ceremony, saying the friendship between the two men is something “rarely seen” in Washington politics.

"It’s a bond like we've never seen before. At times, more like a White House buddy movie than a political partnership," Mitchell observed.

"After eight years, the Bidens and Obamas forging a friendship so close they consider themselves family. ... Their friendship often reaching a fever pitch on social media," she continued.

"Biden tweeting a photo of a friendship bracelet on the President’s birthday: 'Happy 55th, Barack! A brother to me, a best friend forever.'”

After the "Today" report, guest co-host Meredith Vieira called the event “so beautiful.”

Read more (if you've a steel stomach): http://thehill.com/homenews/media/314229-matt-lauer-i-burst-our-crying-at-bidens-medal-of-freedom

"I'm glad there were no cameras in my apartment yesterday because I was just sitting there weeping

I'm waiting for the selfies.

Behind the scenes photo from the Today Show:

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I know the feeling.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
 :3:

Wingnut

I know the feeling.

Don't humor her when she is talking to herself.  Bad things happen

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 8888crybaby
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Don't humor her when she is talking to herself.  Bad things happen

Too late.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed: