Author Topic: Ventura loses appeal to reinstate $1.8M verdict - AP  (Read 683 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Ventura loses appeal to reinstate $1.8M verdict - AP
« on: January 09, 2017, 04:37:00 pm »
Ventura loses appeal to reinstate $1.8M verdict

Associated Press Published: January 9, 2017 8:46 AM CDT Updated: January 9, 2017 8:46 AM

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Supreme Court has turned away former Minnesota Gov. Jesse Ventura's bid for reinstatement of a $1.8 million verdict in his defamation case against the estate of slain Navy SEAL and "American Sniper" author Chris Kyle.

The justices did not comment Monday in leaving intact a decision by the 8th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals to upend the verdict.

Read More At: http://newsok.com/article/feed/1145542

If that part of the book was a fabrication, that is wrong but I'd be wary of trying to hunt up big money over it.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Re: Ventura loses appeal to reinstate $1.8M verdict - AP
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2017, 06:29:54 pm »
Ventura is basically suing the widow and her kids.  Even though the specific incident does not appear to be true, that makes him look like a scumbag.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2017, 09:27:37 pm »
Ventura is basically suing the widow and her kids.  Even though the specific incident does not appear to be true, that makes him look like a scumbag.

You must know something I don't - I thought Chris Kyle had witnesses to the incident.

And, it doesn't make him look like a scumbag - he IS a scumbag.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 09:28:19 pm by Sanguine »

Offline the_doc

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2017, 09:31:39 pm »
You must know something I don't - I thought Chris Kyle had witnesses to the incident.

I heard somewhere that Ventura won his case in the original trial because of apparent inconsistencies in the accounts by the witnesses.  Does anyone else remember anything about this?

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2017, 09:46:28 pm »

The case was thrown out by the appellate court on somewhat technical grounds.  Ventura prevailed on the issue of liability on two claims -- a legal claim of "unjust enrichment", and a claim of "defamation".  That means that the jury (at least) believed that he actually was defamed.  So Kyle was found liable.

However, the Appellate Court found that an independent claim for unjust enrichment could not be brought, so that entire claim was tossed.  And on defamation, they found that Ventura's attorney had improperly suggested that any verdict would be paid by insurance (a big no-no in civil litigation) so they threw out that verdict too.  Now, Ventura has to decide if we wants to push ahead with a retrial on the defamation claim.

The point is that as a matter of facts, the jury did find that Ventura was defamed, which means they believed the statement in the book was not true.  But Ventura is just an idiot for pursuing it this far.  It has basically made him personal non grata among many in the SEAL community.  He could easily have laughed off the allegation as a bullshit bar fight story that never happened, and left it at that.  Making a lawsuit out of it was just stupid.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 09:47:55 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »