Author Topic: Meryl Streep’s Golden Globes Speech  (Read 10715 times)

Offline dfwgator

Re: Meryl Streep’s Golden Globes Speech
« Reply #125 on: January 11, 2017, 04:36:50 pm »
Much of it was filmed in Weirton, W.Va., though. I believe the wedding scenes were filmed in Cleveland. The film is supposed to take place in the western Pa. area, as I recall, but then there are the inexplicably huge mountains in the hunting scenes that look more like Colorado.  :shrug:

As in so many of her movies, I believe Meryl was completely miscast in Deer Hunter.

IIRC she was in the movie to be near to her dying boyfriend, John Cazale.

Offline mirraflake

« Reply #126 on: January 11, 2017, 04:59:32 pm »
Much of it was filmed in Weirton, W.Va., though. I believe the wedding scenes were filmed in Cleveland. The film is supposed to take place in the western Pa. area, as I recall, but then there are the inexplicably huge mountains in the hunting scenes that look more like Colorado.  :shrug:

As in so many of her movies, I believe Meryl was completely miscast in Deer Hunter.

Mingo Junction Ohio was another area of filming.

@mountaineer

Offline CSM

« Reply #127 on: January 11, 2017, 05:14:15 pm »
@CSM

Do you have a source for this quote?

@Machiavelli @goatprairie @mountaineer

I am the source.  Yes, it was sarcastic or satirical.  However, it is a fair assumption, given her her silence while all of that use of government power was being used to bully the folks she opposes.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #128 on: January 11, 2017, 05:31:11 pm »

You are correct about the mountains. The deer hunting scenes were shot near Mt. Baker, Washington state.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #129 on: January 11, 2017, 05:32:45 pm »
@Machiavelli @goatprairie @mountaineer

I am the source.  Yes, it was sarcastic or satirical.  However, it is a fair assumption, given her her silence while all of that use of government power was being used to bully the folks she opposes.
fair enough. I've done the same thing.  :beer:

Online mountaineer

« Reply #130 on: January 11, 2017, 06:50:41 pm »
Mingo Junction Ohio was another area of filming.
Mr. mountaineer is from Weirton and his mother grew up in Mingo.  :beer:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #131 on: January 11, 2017, 07:08:10 pm »

It has been many years since I saw the flick, but I recall the deer to be a variety different from the whitetail of that area.

BTW... I lived in Poland, Ohio near Youngstown and worked near New Castle, PA.  My sons were born in Youngstown.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #132 on: January 11, 2017, 07:17:58 pm »

Yep, that ain't Pennsylvania.
John Steinbeck

Offline musiclady

« Reply #133 on: January 11, 2017, 09:18:08 pm »
It has been many years since I saw the flick, but I recall the deer to be a variety different from the whitetail of that area.

BTW... I lived in Poland, Ohio near Youngstown and worked near New Castle, PA.  My sons were born in Youngstown.

We've talked about Poland before, but I had temporarily forgotten that you once lived in my home town.   :patriot:

And about that photo............... just drove through PA from DC back to OH, and that sure don't look like what I saw!

Beautiful mountains in PA (actually I prefer them to the Rockies), but they're not that majestic by any stretch.

(Movie audiences used to be a bit more naïve, so they didn't work very hard to authenticate the locale).
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 09:18:28 pm by musiclady »
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Wingnut

« Reply #134 on: January 11, 2017, 09:47:25 pm »

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #135 on: January 12, 2017, 05:01:49 am »
Second Week Of Deer Camp
If I threw out the term "Yoopers," would anybody here know what I'm talking about?

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #136 on: January 12, 2017, 05:14:54 am »
If I threw out the term "Yoopers," would anybody here know what I'm talking about?

You becha, don't you know.
John Steinbeck

Wingnut

« Reply #137 on: January 12, 2017, 07:32:25 am »

Does a party store sell beer.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #138 on: January 12, 2017, 02:42:32 pm »

I know, because I was once interested in buying a "Yooper scooper" which is what people in that area use to shovel small light amounts of snow that apparently fall frequently in that area.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Yooper+scooper&oq=Yooper+scooper&aqs=chrome..69i57&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

This is according to product literature.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #139 on: January 12, 2017, 03:05:19 pm »

I know, because I was once interested in buying a "Yooper scooper" which is what people in that area use to shovel small light amounts of snow that apparently fall frequently in that area.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Yooper+scooper&oq=Yooper+scooper&aqs=chrome..69i57&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

This is according to product literature.
My father grew up in the U.P. (Calumet), but I never once heard him use the term. He and his family moved  to Detroit during The Great Depression. Maybe the term hadn't been invented yet.