Author Topic: Russian operation hacked a Vermont utility, showing risk to U.S. electrical grid security, officials say  (Read 337 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 By Juliet Eilperin and Adam Entous December 30 at 10:30 PM

A code associated with the Russian hacking operation dubbed Grizzly Steppe by the Obama administration has been detected within the system of a Vermont utility, according to U.S. officials.

While the Russians did not actively use the code to disrupt operations, according to officials who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss a security matter, the discovery underscores the vulnerabilities of the nation’s electrical grid. And it raises fears in the U.S. government that Russian government hackers are actively trying to penetrate the grid to carry out potential attacks.

more
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/russian-hackers-penetrated-us-electricity-grid-through-a-utility-in-vermont/2016/12/30/8fc90cc4-ceec-11e6-b8a2-8c2a61b0436f_story.html?hpid=hp_hp-top-table-main_electrichack-810pm%3Ahomepage%2Fstory&utm_term=.74f5baacf97c
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Suppressed

That's okay. Russians are the good guys now!

</sarc>

I'm not saying that I believe remnants of code of Russian origin even indicates that it was Russian hackers...code gets reused or appropriated beyond its authors.  Nor do I think the grid was likely penetrated.  But I am poking at those who will instantly dismiss this out of hand because of their infatuation with Putin.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 07:37:45 pm by Suppressed »
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn