Author Topic: EPA Employees Not ‘Intentionally’ Breaking Law By Deleting Official Texts, IG Claims  (Read 1528 times)

rangerrebew

EPA Employees Not ‘Intentionally’ Breaking Law By Deleting Official Texts, IG Claims
Photo of Kathryn Watson
Kathryn Watson
Reporter
11:26 PM 12/21/2016

Entering passcode on an iPhone running iOS 9, which has six digit passcodes instead of four. [Shutterstock - ymgerman]   Entering passcode on an iPhone running iOS 9, which has six digit passcodes instead of four. [Shutterstock - ymgerman]

Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) officials only archived 86 text messages out of 3.1 million agency employees sent and received in 2015, according to a federal watchdog’s report made public Wednesday by House Committee on Science, Space and Technology Chairman Lamar Smith.

The EPA Office of Inspector General (IG) released the report requested by the Texas Republican, which described enormous text message retention problems within the EPA. One unnamed senior official configured his phone to automatically delete texts after 30 days.

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2016/12/21/epa-employees-are-not-intentionally-breaking-the-law-by-deleting-official-texts/#ixzz4TZXUn1Xw

Offline Night Hides Not

EPA Employees Not ‘Intentionally’ Breaking Law By Deleting Official Texts, IG Claims
Photo of Kathryn Watson
Kathryn Watson
Reporter

Entering passcode on an iPhone running iOS 9, which has six digit passcodes instead of four. [Shutterstock - ymgerman]   Entering passcode on an iPhone running iOS 9, which has six digit passcodes instead of four. [Shutterstock - ymgerman]

Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) officials only archived 86 text messages out of 3.1 million agency employees sent and received in 2015, according to a federal watchdog’s report made public Wednesday by House Committee on Science, Space and Technology Chairman Lamar Smith.

The EPA Office of Inspector General (IG) released the report requested by the Texas Republican, which described enormous text message retention problems within the EPA. One unnamed senior official configured his phone to automatically delete texts after 30 days.

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2016/12/21/epa-employees-are-not-intentionally-breaking-the-law-by-deleting-official-texts/#ixzz4TZXUn1Xw

If we've learned anything from Hillary's travails, nothing is ever "permanently" deleted.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Oceander

It's time to mandate one government-controlled device for all government employees that automatically archives everything and make it a felony to use any other device, period, for government business.

Offline r9etb

It's time to mandate one government-controlled device for all government employees that automatically archives everything and make it a felony to use any other device, period, for government business.

Hell, that's not even difficult -- most corporations already do that.

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
The Hillary defense strikes again: But Maaaaa, I didn't mean to do it.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
I do not know what it is going to take for enough people to recognize that the Federal Beast is wholly illegitimate and corrupt beyond redemption.

The EPA needs to be abolished in total and all of it's regulations not passed by Congress needs to be rescinded immediately.  Congress can start that by eradicating the budget for the EPA and Trump can abolish the agency altogether with a mere EO, since it was created by one.

But none of that will happen.

Because this people are morons and like living under tyranny by lying to themselves and believing they exist to make sure the air and water is not polluted and of course to stop Global warming.

Which is why they have nationalized all water, even the pond on your private property.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

rangerrebew

Key figures in the Obama administration have probably called in experts to delete everything so they don't wind up in prison.  And it looks like Comey came up with an out for the administration when he freed Madam Clinton, a term which the IG used - it isn't "intentional." 

geronl

They know they aren't allowed to delete emails and do it anyway.

Oceander

They know they aren't allowed to delete emails and do it anyway.

That's why they should be required to use a device that automatically archives to the governments systems and have data which cannot be deleted until it is archived.

HonestJohn

It already is.

All government records must be archived with the National Archives.

The problem is that the regulation is nonsensically written... and there are no methods (for digital information) to actually comply with it even if someone is trying.

I mean, how *DOES* a person send their original tweet from their phone to the National Archives?  It's not possible.  And the National Archives isn't set up to subscribe and then store a copy from anyone.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Apparently 'ignorance of the law is no excuse' is only for the plebes and peons.
The Republic is lost.

Offline starstruck

• Hoping 2018 is a good year
Photo of Kathryn Watson
Kathryn Watson
Reporter

I think one FBI director gave everybody a "Get out of jail free" card. Oh wait! He gave every government employee a card. The rest of us go to jail without passing Go. We, the people are tossed under the bus.
Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people�s liberty teeth and keystone under independence. � George Washington

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
It already is.

The problem is that the regulation is nonsensically written... and there are no methods (for digital information) to actually comply with it even if someone is trying.

I mean, how *DOES* a person send their original tweet from their phone to the National Archives?  It's not possible.  And the National Archives isn't set up to subscribe and then store a copy from anyone.

@HonestJohn  @Oceander

So they can store every electronic communication we have forever and search it on a moments notice to include our location at any specific time and day.   BUT they cannot store their records?   right??

No in fact it is quite easy to extract information from twitter, facebook or any other online source.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline Night Hides Not

I think one FBI director gave everybody a "Get out of jail free" card. Oh wait! He gave every government employee a card. The rest of us go to jail without passing Go. We, the people are tossed under the bus.

My first option is the "Hillary Defense", i.e. no intent.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Oceander

It already is.

By developing a device that logs everything internally and automatically dumps it to government computers, either within the employees office building, or for nonsensitive employees, across a secured internet connection.  And making it a felony to use any other device for government-related work.

HonestJohn

@HonestJohn  @Oceander

So they can store every electronic communication we have forever and search it on a moments notice to include our location at any specific time and day.   BUT they cannot store their records?   right??

No in fact it is quite easy to extract information from twitter, facebook or any other online source.

Okay, explain the process, then.  You've made the claim and I don't know of one outside of Office docs sent as email attachments.

HonestJohn

By developing a device that logs everything internally and automatically dumps it to government computers, either within the employees office building, or for nonsensitive employees, across a secured internet connection.  And making it a felony to use any other device for government-related work.

First, that presupposes a secure connection between a mobile device and a government computer.  That technology isn't widespread nor cheap.

Second, the regulation requires only government records, not working documents.  That system will have to determine which is which.

Third, the National Archives would need the capacity to process that amount of data for storage.  There has been no increases in funding to pay for that.

So for the average Schmoe working at any government office, they've got no way to actually comply at the present time. 

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Key figures in the Obama administration have probably called in experts to delete everything so they don't wind up in prison.  And it looks like Comey came up with an out for the administration when he freed Madam Clinton, a term which the IG used - it isn't "intentional."

Intent is not admissible in most criminal cases, with few exceptions.

In plain language, actions speak louder than words
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...

Theoretically, "intent" has no place in law.

How many times have we all seen the defendant yelling/crying, "I didn't mean to kill him! Really I didn't!" This is not supposed to matter based on 'Eggshell Skull' among other precedents.

To see this 'lack of intent' argument reoccurring in government cases is very disturbing. I don't know what it means or what it may bring about in the future but I do know that we need some strong Judge to step in and stop this nonsense before it gets any more traction.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

How many times have we all seen the defendant yelling/crying, "I didn't mean to kill him! Really I didn't!" This is not supposed to matter based on 'Eggshell Skull' among other precedents.

To see this 'lack of intent' argument reoccurring in government cases is very disturbing. I don't know what it means or what it may bring about in the future but I do know that we need some strong Judge to step in and stop this nonsense before it gets any more traction.

Our Congress is complicit in this by passing hate crime laws.

Once does not need to know what is in another's mind to define a crime.

A crime is based on the actions.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
I do not know what it is going to take for enough people to recognize that the Federal Beast is wholly illegitimate and corrupt beyond redemption.

The EPA needs to be abolished in total and all of it's regulations not passed by Congress needs to be rescinded immediately.  Congress can start that by eradicating the budget for the EPA and Trump can abolish the agency altogether with a mere EO, since it was created by one.

But none of that will happen.

Because this people are morons and like living under tyranny by lying to themselves and believing they exist to make sure the air and water is not polluted and of course to stop Global warming.

Which is why they have nationalized all water, even the pond on your private property.

Maybe it will happen....
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline MajorClay

Jail them anyway

Offline r9etb

Really?  That's the primary difference between 3rd and 1st-degree crimes.

Perhaps you meant, "intent" has no place as a discriminator between whether or not a crime has been committed at all?

Oceander

You're confusing motive with intent.  Intent is extremely important in law, particularly criminal law.  Motive is not.  Motive plays a role, but generally isn't an element that must be proven. 

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
You're confusing motive with intent.  Intent is extremely important in law, particularly criminal law.  Motive is not.  Motive plays a role, but generally isn't an element that must be proven.

Just make it so there are no more EPA employees to do stuff... and no EPA at all.  A useless, phony agency that has done harm to the economy and helped nothing.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.