Author Topic: 10-Day Waiting Period For Gun Purchases Upheld By Federal Appeals Court  (Read 2511 times)

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Re: 10-Day Waiting Period For Gun Purchases Upheld By Federal Appeals Court
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2016, 12:18:21 am »
All constitutional rights are subject to reasonable regulation.

And there's that whole "the Constitution is a living document" thing rearing it's ugly head.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2016, 12:18:44 am by txradioguy »
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2016, 01:20:48 am »
And there's that whole "the Constitution is a living document" thing rearing it's ugly head.

Think he meant interpretation?

The whole yelling fire in a crowded theater thing.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2016, 04:11:26 am »

Maybe. But IMHO theres not much to interpret with the BoR. Those are absolutes as far as I'm concerned.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2016, 04:50:20 am »

Name one other right that has a waiting period.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

• Technical
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2016, 08:19:48 am »
Name one other right that has a waiting period.

You don't have an absolute right to weaponry. Do you have a right to buy a nuke?

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2016, 10:37:47 am »

You don't have an absolute right to weaponry. Do you have a right to buy a nuke?

The discussion was about waiting periods not nukes.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2016, 10:50:30 am »
The 10 day waiting period law, on its face was an end run on gun control by liberals to begin with...created out of some shooting event.  So there's that...but since you appear to want to play devil's advocate, a couple of situations come to mind where victims are forced to remain potential victims without the ability to protect/defend themselves.

It prevents someone with a brand new restraining order from backing up that restraining order until 10 days later...we know how effective restraining orders are with regard to actually restraining the person...right?  Domestic abuse victims who make the break are vulnerable to their abusers for at least 10 days once they make the break...

If I were the victim of an armed robbery or home invasion and suddenly decided that getting a 12 ga. was the way to go, I can't do anything about protecting myself or family for 10 days...

It takes away my "essential right" to protect myself for a window of 10 days...10 very long days.

With respect to the first point - amend the law. Permit no waiting period in circumstances where the purchaser has reasonable, documented fear of their life and safety - such as a restraining order against a violent ex.

Your second point, about the burglary, is invalid. If you wait until you have your burglary/home invasion to think about protecting yourself, you are an idiot who deserves everything they get.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2016, 11:30:16 am »
With respect to the first point - amend the law. Permit no waiting period in circumstances where the purchaser has reasonable, documented fear of their life and safety - such as a restraining order against a violent ex.

Your second point, about the burglary, is invalid. If you wait until you have your burglary/home invasion to think about protecting yourself, you are an idiot who deserves everything they get.

@EC

People are not stupid if they choose not to buy a firearm.  They are not stupid because someone else chose to break the law.

What's stupid are the mandatory waiting periods and the people who support them.  Waiting periods accomplish nothing except make it more difficult to own a firearm.   Which of course is their purpose.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2016, 01:09:26 pm »
@EC

People are not stupid if they choose not to buy a firearm.  They are not stupid because someone else chose to break the law.

Nope, you are correct. No one is stupid for not owning a firearm - it is a personal choice (and I can think of MANY people I know who I'm happier that they don't have things that go bang in their possession!). No one is stupid because someone else breaks the law is also true.

However, someone else breaking the law needs a target. Stupidity is assuming you won't be that target and failing to take action accordingly, in advance.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2016, 03:22:09 pm »
And this will affect people who ignore the law exactly how?

VERY few of those people buy guns via legal sources!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2016, 03:38:47 pm »
And this will affect people who ignore the law exactly how?

VERY few of those people buy guns via legal sources!

@Bigun

Law abiding people are the target of this law.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2016, 04:19:45 pm »
@Bigun

Law abiding people are the target of this law.

The only rational reason (note I'm not saying justifiable reason) I can think of for this law is to help prevent suicides.   And a whole lot of people are able to commit suicide because of easy access to a gun.   Yes,  there are other ways to off oneself,  but nothing beats the speed and sureness of a gun.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Doug Loss

• Proud Tennessean
« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2016, 05:04:15 pm »
The only rational reason (note I'm not saying justifiable reason) I can think of for this law is to help prevent suicides.   And a whole lot of people are able to commit suicide because of easy access to a gun.   Yes,  there are other ways to off oneself,  but nothing beats the speed and sureness of a gun.

I'd be greatly surprised if this law had any noticeable effect on suicide rates.
My political philosophy:

1) I'm not bothering anybody.
2) It's none of your business.
3) Leave me alone!

rangerrebew

« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2016, 10:27:14 pm »
I know I'll be flamed for this, but if California wants to do this, let them. Gun laws should be a states issue IMO.

If the founders saw fit to leave it to the states, they would have done so but they apparently could see places like Mejifornia screwing up the need.  The Constitution is about federal concerns and they clearly saw a need for people to have weapons. Again, the founders don't say the states can't have a militia if they want one, or not have one, but to do so they need guns; rocks and arrows wouldn't do.

rangerrebew

« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2016, 10:29:50 pm »
I bought another gun yesterday and the whole thing took less than 20 minutes.  I have a 9 mm which I keep handy in the car and a 380 which I carry.  With all the nut jobs running around these days, a person is taking a huge risk by not arming him/herself.

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2016, 07:08:45 pm »
All constitutional rights are subject to reasonable regulation.
Who gets to define "reasonable"?
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2016, 07:10:39 pm »

The burglary victim is now a "liberal who's been mugged", should they be forced to endure a second victimization because of a change of heart and a waiting period?
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #42 on: December 18, 2016, 07:16:33 pm »
The burglary victim is now a "liberal who's been mugged", should they be forced to endure a second victimization because of a change of heart and a waiting period?

To my mind - yep. Since, as a liberal before hand, they more than likely supported restrictions such as the waiting period.

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #43 on: December 18, 2016, 07:39:45 pm »
To my mind - yep. Since, as a liberal before hand, they more than likely supported restrictions such as the waiting period.

@EC

Except the law applies to everyone.  It's stupid to just accept these laws.   We must fight back against them in every way.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #44 on: December 19, 2016, 03:47:15 pm »
I'd be greatly surprised if this law had any noticeable effect on suicide rates.

I suspect it would prevent a fair number of suicides,  although as noted above the price would be the inability for, say, a woman to quickly purchase a gun to defend herself from an abusive spouse. 

As with most laws,  there are both intended and unintended consequences.   

I'm not doctrinaire when it comes to the Second Amendment.   I don't think it's any different from other Constitutional rights in allowing for reasonable regulation.   But such regulation,  to be reasonable in my view, must be efficacious.  And many proposed gun laws are of the feel-good variety;  they appear to be "doing something" about gun violence but in reality have little impact except making it more difficult for the law-abiding to purchase a lawful product.   

I evaluate each proposed gun law on its merits.   
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 03:48:15 pm by Jazzhead »
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• Technical
« Reply #45 on: December 19, 2016, 03:48:26 pm »
I suspect it would prevent a fair number of suicides,  although as noted above the price would be the inability for, say, a woman to quickly purchase a gun to defend herself from an abusive spouse. 

I'm not doctrinaire when it comes to the Second Amendment.   I don't think it's any different from other Constitutional rights in allowing for reasonable regulation.   But such regulation,  to be reasonable in my view, must be efficacious.  And most proposed gun laws are of the feel-good variety;  they appear to be "doing something" about gun violence but in reality have little impact except making it more difficult for the law-abiding to purchase a lawful product.   

Maybe but it would be nice to see some evidence. I doubt it will change anything.

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #46 on: December 19, 2016, 03:58:33 pm »

I'm not doctrinaire when it comes to the Second Amendment.   I don't think it's any different from other Constitutional rights in allowing for reasonable regulation.   But such regulation,  to be reasonable in my view, must be efficacious.  And many proposed gun laws are of the feel-good variety;  they appear to be "doing something" about gun violence but in reality have little impact except making it more difficult for the law-abiding to purchase a lawful product.   

Suicide a very complex issue.  People who use firearms during a suicide are more likely to be successful.   If a firearm isn't available they'll likely use a different method.   Women tend not to use firearms whereas men do.

Restricting a Constitutional right on the basis someone MIGHT hurt themselves is unreasonable.