Author Topic: 10-Day Waiting Period For Gun Purchases Upheld By Federal Appeals Court  (Read 2512 times)

rangerrebew

10-Day Waiting Period For Gun Purchases Upheld By Federal Appeals Court
Photo of Kevin Daley
Kevin Daley
Legal Affairs Reporter
9:24 AM 12/15/2016

The 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals has upheld a California state law requiring a 10-day waiting period for the purchase of all firearms.

Judge Mary Schroeder, a President Jimmy Carter appointee, wrote the opinion for the three judge-panel. Chief Judge Sidney Thomas wrote an opinion concurring in the judgment.

Completing this poll entitles you to Daily Caller news updates free of charge. You may opt out at anytime. You also agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
The challenge to the California law was brought by a coalition of pro-Second Amendment groups who claim it infringes a constitutional right.

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2016/12/15/10-day-waiting-period-for-gun-purchases-upheld-by-federal-appeals-court/#ixzz4T0V6bp2m

Offline Mom MD

Re: 10-Day Waiting Period For Gun Purchases Upheld By Federal Appeals Court
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2016, 01:30:21 pm »
The 9th circus   Who would have guessed   Hopefully to be smacked down by SCOTUS again 22222frying pan :chairbang: 22222frying pan
God is still in control

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2016, 01:44:16 pm »
What's the purpose of the waiting period?  To discourage the purchase of firearms by persons contemplating suicide,  or seeking a gun in anger in order to settle an argument?    I've seen such "cooling off" periods proposed with respect to abortions as well,  to give a women a chance to contemplate just what she's doing.

Not sure if it's sound policy in either case,  but it doesn't strike me as unconstitutional.  To be unconstitutional,  the waiting period would need to be so intrusive that it effectively takes the right (to a gun, to an abortion) away.     
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2016, 02:40:18 pm »
A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

A waiting period, besides having no demonstrable value, is nothing if not an "infringement". The Bill of Rights, of which the 2nd Amendment is a part, has long been held to apply to the states under the incorporation doctrine as applied to the 14th Amendment.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2016, 02:48:32 pm »
The 9th circus   Who would have guessed   Hopefully to be smacked down by SCOTUS again 22222frying pan :chairbang: 22222frying pan

Getting slapped down by SCOTUS seems to be the primary objective of that court!  Congress has the power to fix all that but won't!
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 02:56:07 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2016, 02:52:23 pm »
What's the purpose of the waiting period?  To discourage the purchase of firearms by persons contemplating suicide,  or seeking a gun in anger in order to settle an argument?    I've seen such "cooling off" periods proposed with respect to abortions as well,  to give a women a chance to contemplate just what she's doing.

Not sure if it's sound policy in either case,  but it doesn't strike me as unconstitutional.  To be unconstitutional,  the waiting period would need to be so intrusive that it effectively takes the right (to a gun, to an abortion) away.     
In California the only purpose is to restrict the people exercising their Constitutional rights as much as possible, at least we can still own guns.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2016, 03:02:34 pm »

A waiting period, besides having no demonstrable value, is nothing if not an "infringement".

Well, that's why I asked the question.  What's the purpose of the waiting period?   Is it to provide a cooling off period, similar to what is occasionally proposed for abortions?   A gun purchased on impulse by a emotional wreck determined to commit suicide is a deadly weapon.   Why do you say it has no demonstrable value?    As for your narrow reading of infringement,  I don't think is it supported by the case law.  There are a variety of gun regulations and restrictions that are perfectly Constitutional.  What the government can't do, as set forth in Heller,  is impose a restriction or limitation that takes away the essential right.  That's the plain meaning of "infringe" (as per Websters, to "defeat or invalidate").   

In ten days you'll get your gun.  In ten days you'll have your abortion.   If such a law isn't efficacious, it isn't worthy of support, on the merits.  But, arguendo, neither strikes me as an unconstitutional infringement. 
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 03:05:46 pm by Jazzhead »

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2016, 03:06:17 pm »
Well, that's why I asked the question.  What's the purpose of the waiting period?   Is it to provide a cooling off period, similar to what is occasionally proposed for abortions?   A gun purchased on impulse by a emotional wreck determined to commit suicide is a deadly weapon.   Why do you say it has no demonstrable value?    As for your narrow reading of infringement,  I don't think is it supported by the case law.  There are a variety of gun regulations and restrictions that are perfectly Constitutional.  What the government can't do, as set forth in Heller,  is impose a restriction or limitation that takes away the essential right.  That's the plain meaning of "infringe" (as per Websters, to "defeat or invalidate").   

In ten days you'll get your gun.  In ten days you'll have your abortion.   If such a law isn't efficacious, it isn't worthy of support, on the merits.  But, arguendo, neither strikes me as unconstitutional.   

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2016, 03:40:39 pm »
I know I'll be flamed for this, but if California wants to do this, let them. Gun laws should be a states issue IMO.

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2016, 03:46:03 pm »

In ten days you'll get your gun.  In ten days you'll have your abortion.   If such a law isn't efficacious, it isn't worthy of support, on the merits.  But, arguendo, neither strikes me as an unconstitutional infringement.
The 10 day waiting period law, on its face was an end run on gun control by liberals to begin with...created out of some shooting event.  So there's that...but since you appear to want to play devil's advocate, a couple of situations come to mind where victims are forced to remain potential victims without the ability to protect/defend themselves.

It prevents someone with a brand new restraining order from backing up that restraining order until 10 days later...we know how effective restraining orders are with regard to actually restraining the person...right?  Domestic abuse victims who make the break are vulnerable to their abusers for at least 10 days once they make the break...

If I were the victim of an armed robbery or home invasion and suddenly decided that getting a 12 ga. was the way to go, I can't do anything about protecting myself or family for 10 days...

It takes away my "essential right" to protect myself for a window of 10 days...10 very long days.
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2016, 03:46:29 pm »
I know I'll be flamed for this, but if California wants to do this, let them. Gun laws should be a states issue IMO.

Totally agree.

However the 9th Circus rulings...IIRC cover more than just California correct?  Or was this just a California only ruling.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2016, 03:48:27 pm »
9th Circuit...feds.

CA firearm owners trying to get it overturned.

Sucks paying taxes to those against you so they can fight against you and then have to pay someone else to fight for you.
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2016, 04:02:54 pm »
The 10 day waiting period law, on its face was an end run on gun control by liberals to begin with...created out of some shooting event.  So there's that...but since you appear to want to play devil's advocate, a couple of situations come to mind where victims are forced to remain potential victims without the ability to protect/defend themselves.

It prevents someone with a brand new restraining order from backing up that restraining order until 10 days later...we know how effective restraining orders are with regard to actually restraining the person...right?  Domestic abuse victims who make the break are vulnerable to their abusers for at least 10 days once they make the break...

If I were the victim of an armed robbery or home invasion and suddenly decided that getting a 12 ga. was the way to go, I can't do anything about protecting myself or family for 10 days...

It takes away my "essential right" to protect myself for a window of 10 days...10 very long days.

I guess you've never heard of the NRA five day loaner.

SNL skit (described on their site: "In response to the new Brady Law, an act which mandates a five-day waiting period upon purchasing a hand gun, Charlton Heston promotes the NRA's new store that loans guns to citizens for five days at no charge. [Season 19, 1993]")
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2016, 04:06:58 pm »

Considering the amount of complaining folks in red states do over California transplants bringing their values into their communities I wish they'd take more of an interest in what happens in this benighted state. It starts here and spreads.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 04:44:46 pm by skeeter »

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2016, 04:19:54 pm »

I think that's a reasonable response.   Thank you.  I think the domestic abuse situation is compelling - I agree a woman may need to act quickly to defend herself, especially if her partner is likely to be enraged by her engaging the legal system to obtain a restraining order.

I think this California law ought to be unconstitutional

• Technical
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2016, 04:22:36 pm »
I will agree that a 10 day waiting period in and of itself is pretty useless.

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2016, 05:28:48 pm »

@SZonian has provided a very good response, and I would like to thank him for it.

The problem with laws purporting to restrict the purchase, sale and ownership of firearms is that they affect none but law-abiding citizens, whose behavior is not the object of such regulations. Also, a wealth of documentary evidence is currently available to demonstrate the futility of gun laws in preventing criminal behavior involving their use.

More broadly, such is the problem with all laws that attempt to regulate behavior which a legislature chooses to define as malum prohibitum (wrong because it is prohibited), as opposed to malum in se (wrong in and of itself).
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Doug Loss

• Proud Tennessean
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2016, 06:55:53 pm »

Yes, but gun laws must still pass US constitutional muster, i.e., they can't contravene the 2nd Amendment.
My political philosophy:

1) I'm not bothering anybody.
2) It's none of your business.
3) Leave me alone!

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2016, 07:01:30 pm »

Cooling off period eh?

So driving down to a gun store, picking out a gun, filling out the paperwork, waiting for a background check, paying for the gun, then driving home doesn't provide an opportunity to cool off?
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2016, 07:41:55 pm »

Darn are just trying to my best Frenemy? You sure like the government sticking their nose into the market.  :boring:
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2016, 07:43:00 pm »
Come on! We all know that this is so the wife has a chance to find out how much the thing costs before you get it home. Marriages will never be the same.  :laugh:
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 07:43:16 pm by Idaho_Cowboy »
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2016, 07:45:44 pm »
Sorry mam, I know a crack house opened up a block down the road and you just took out a restraining order on your abusive ex husband who is threatening you, but you will have to ask them all to leave you alone for 10 days until you are allowed to defend yourself.

Offline Taxcontrol

• "Stupid should hurt" - Dad's wisdom
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2016, 07:52:09 pm »

Sorry, but you are incorrect.  The 2nd prohibits "infringement" i.e

verb (used without object), infringed, infringing.
to encroach or trespass (usually followed by on or upon):
Don't infringe on his privacy.

• Technical
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2016, 08:17:53 pm »
Yes, but gun laws must still pass US constitutional muster, i.e., they can't contravene the 2nd Amendment.

Does this contravene the 2nd amendment?

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2016, 08:31:21 pm »
Sorry, but you are incorrect.  The 2nd prohibits "infringement" i.e

verb (used without object), infringed, infringing.
to encroach or trespass (usually followed by on or upon):
Don't infringe on his privacy.

All constitutional rights are subject to reasonable regulation.