Author Topic: Terminally ill boy dies in Santa’s arms  (Read 1230 times)

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
Terminally ill boy dies in Santa’s arms
« on: December 12, 2016, 10:02:29 pm »
Sophia Rosenbaum
New York Post
December 12, 2016

All a terminally ill Nashville boy wanted for Christmas was to meet Santa Claus — and he did, and then died in Old St. Nick’s arms.

The 5-year-old was minutes away from death when a nurse at the Tennessee hospital where he was being treated called Eric Schmitt-Matzen, a 300-plus-pound mechanical engineer who looks like a real-life Kris Kringle.
More

Offline Frank Cannon

Re: Terminally ill boy dies in Santa’s arms
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2016, 10:05:39 pm »
This is easily the most depressing G-D thread ever posted here.

God Bless this nurse for pulling a rabbit out of her hat for this kid.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2016, 10:19:39 pm »

And, bless that Santa. 

8888crybaby

Silver Pines

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2016, 01:39:30 am »

@Frank Cannon

Between this story and the one on Ben Shapiro's twitter about the little girl with a chemo-ravaged body who won't let her parents carry her to bed, but insists on struggling up the stairs on her own (with video), I feel pretty lousy.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2016, 01:48:49 am »
There is a special place in heaven, not only for the little boy, but also for "Santa" and the nurse who called him.

HonestJohn

‘I cried all the way home': Terminally ill 5-year-old dies in Santa’s arms
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2016, 07:10:17 pm »
By Travis M. Andrews
December 13 at 5:00 AM

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2016/12/13/i-cried-all-the-way-home-terminally-ill-5-year-old-dies-in-santas-arms/?tid=a_inl&utm_term=.0270c28a3eca

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8rAy6wjR6E

“Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus. He exists as certainly as love and generosity and devotion exist and you know they abound and give to your life its highest beauty and joy.”

Those famous words, a response to an 8-year-old’s anxious note, appeared in the New York Sun in 1897, but they express a noble truth today.

This Santa’s suit and his cheeks are red, his beard snowy white. He was born on Dec. 6, St. Nicholas’s Day. At 310 pounds and 6-feet tall with, as he put it to the Knoxville News Sentinel, “just enough of a lap for the kids to sit on,” his stature fits the part.

His name is Eric Schmitt-Matzen, and he’s portrayed Santa for years when not working his other job as president of Packing Seals and Engineering in Jacksboro, Tenn. This week he opened up to several news outlets about an event that happened in November that had him tell the Knoxville News Sentinel, “I’m just not cut out for this.”

A few weeks ago, his cellphone began dinging out the melody to “Jingle Bells,” so he picked it up. It was a request for him to hear the wishes of a 5-year-old.

Only, this 5-year-old was in the ICU and didn’t have much time left — Schmitt-Matzen didn’t even have time to put on his full suit, only his Santa-laden suspenders.

“I’d just gotten home from work that day,” Schmitt-Matzen told the Knoxville New Sentinel. “It was a nurse I know who works at the hospital. She said there was a very sick 5-year-old boy who wanted to see Santa Claus.”

(more at link)

Mod: merged with other article on topic.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 07:23:28 pm by MOD3 »

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2016, 02:09:29 am »
I thought all the great Christmas stories were old, of times past and gone.

And that guy really does look like Santa!
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 02:09:50 am by Fishrrman »

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist

geronl

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2016, 10:53:37 pm »
Sad and heart-breaking story, a true tragedy.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2016, 11:09:54 pm »
That Story About a Boy Dying In Santa's Arms Is Totally Fake

I saw that.  I dithered over whether to post it or not.  What is wrong with people?

Offline Doug Loss

• Proud Tennessean
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2016, 11:36:40 pm »
I saw that.  I dithered over whether to post it or not.  What is wrong with people?

Gizmodo is part of Gawker Media, and not trustworthy.  What actually happened is that the man who portrayed Santa refuses to give the name of the nurse, the hospital, or the boy's family, citing the nurse's fear that she might lose her job for letting him into the ICU without authorization, and the family's right to privacy.  I'd say more "not proven" than totally fake.  And frankly, I tend toward believing Santa than those trying to tear the story down.

Here's a more believable take on the story:

http://www.wbir.com/news/local/santa-story-of-final-christmas-wish/370486645
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 11:39:07 pm by Doug Loss »
My political philosophy:

1) I'm not bothering anybody.
2) It's none of your business.
3) Leave me alone!

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2016, 11:40:55 pm »

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2016, 11:44:55 pm »
Gizmodo is part of Gawker Media, and not trustworthy.  What actually happened is that the man who portrayed Santa refuses to give the name of the nurse, the hospital, or the boy's family, citing the nurse's fear that she might lose her job for letting him into the ICU without authorization, and the family's right to privacy.  I'd say more "not proven" than totally fake.  And frankly, I tend toward believing Santa than those trying to tear the story down.

Here's a more believable take on the story:

http://www.wbir.com/news/local/santa-story-of-final-christmas-wish/370486645
Last check Snopes, for however much you think they are worth, had this listed as unverified.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline Doug Loss

• Proud Tennessean
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2016, 11:50:36 pm »
Last check Snopes, for however much you think they are worth, had this listed as unverified.

All I can say is that Mr. Schmitt-Matzen is pretty typical of an east Tennessee man in that he's refusing to subject those he's protecting to any more stress, instead taking it upon himself.  Unless comprehensively proven false, I plan to take him at his word.
My political philosophy:

1) I'm not bothering anybody.
2) It's none of your business.
3) Leave me alone!