Author Topic: The Pentagon told the Navy to cut $17B from its budget; the Navy said no  (Read 664 times)

rangerrebew

The Pentagon told the Navy to cut $17B from its budget; the Navy said no

By: David B. Larter, December 7, 2016 (Photo Credit: PO1 Armando Gonzales/Navy)
The Navy is digging in its heels and rejecting billions in cuts from its 2018 budget as infighting has hit a boiling point at the Pentagon.

The Navy has refused to submit a budget that incorporates $17 billion in cuts over the next five years that Defense Secretary Ash Carter ordered. It's a standoff that has been brewing for months since Carter told the Navy to begin cutting major shipbuilding programs and invest in weapons systems and aircraft, according to half a dozen defense officials who spoke to Navy Times.

At issue is Navy Secretary Ray Mabus's insistence that budget cuts not be directed at the shipbuilding program, which he has long fought to shield from cuts as he attempts to rebuild the fleet to his goal of 308 ships.

https://www.navytimes.com/articles/the-pentagon-told-the-navy-to-cut-17-billion-from-its-budget-the-navy-said-no
« Last Edit: December 11, 2016, 12:07:42 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline Taxcontrol

• "Stupid should hurt" - Dad's wisdom
Re: The Pentagon told the Navy to cut $17B from its budget; the Navy said no
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2016, 03:38:24 pm »
Sounds to me more like the Navy is fighting against the "F" you that Obama wants to leave for Trump.  Ship building programs, once cut, are very expensive to restart.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2016, 07:41:46 pm »
WTF? Since when has the Navy,or any other branch of the armed services,decided how much money they can spend and what they can spend it on?

If we  had a REAL president,there would be a few Admirals out looking for new jobs on "civvie street" on Monday because they would no longer be in the Navy.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2016, 10:31:05 pm »
WTF? Since when has the Navy,or any other branch of the armed services,decided how much money they can spend and what they can spend it on?

If we  had a REAL president,there would be a few Admirals out looking for new jobs on "civvie street" on Monday because they would no longer be in the Navy.
It's the civilian Secretary of the Navy who is refusing to submit a budget.

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2016, 11:41:48 pm »

Time to see who has the biggest brass gonads.  Right now I'd say the Navy.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2016, 12:25:01 am »

@Maj. Bill Martin

Same sort of deal,but even easier to solve. Like the Admirals he serves at the pleasure of the president,but unlike the Admirals,the President can fire the Sec of the Navy by picking up his phone and saying "I want your resignation on my desk by the end of the business day",and it's a done deal. With the Admirals there is a bureaucracy to go through,and Congress can have a hissy-fit.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2016, 03:05:12 pm »
@Maj. Bill Martin

Same sort of deal,but even easier to solve. Like the Admirals he serves at the pleasure of the president,but unlike the Admirals,the President can fire the Sec of the Navy by picking up his phone and saying "I want your resignation on my desk by the end of the business day",and it's a done deal. With the Admirals there is a bureaucracy to go through,and Congress can have a hissy-fit.

@sneakypete

You're right -- if Obama wanted to fire him, he could/would.

This is kind of a weird issue, though.  First, we're not talking about actual spending -- that's determined by appropriations.  This is about the budget
, which is really just kind of advisory.  It has nothing to do with the Navy's ability to spend actual funds, so Mabus can't just spend more just because he refused to submit a budget.

Second, while I absolutely despise Mabus generally, his argument here isn't...terrible.  He's being asked to come up with a budget that takes a huge knife to acquisitions, when everyone knows damn well the new Administration won't do that.  He wants to come up with something more realistic, because as soon as the budget is finalized, that may have negative effects on pricing of some things the Navy is already committed to purchasing.  As the number of units to be purchased drops, the cost per unit increases.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 03:06:18 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2016, 03:10:11 pm »
@sneakypete

You're right -- if Obama wanted to fire him, he could/would.

This is kind of a weird issue, though.  First, we're not talking about actual spending -- that's determined by appropriations.  This is about the budget
, which is really just kind of advisory.  It has nothing to do with the Navy's ability to spend actual funds, so Mabus can't just spend more just because he refused to submit a budget.

Second, while I absolutely despise Mabus generally, his argument here isn't...terrible.  He's being asked to come up with a budget that takes a huge knife to acquisitions, when everyone knows damn well the new Administration won't do that.  He wants to come up with something more realistic, because as soon as the budget is finalized, that may have negative effects on pricing of some things the Navy is already committed to purchasing.  As the number of units to be purchased drops, the cost per unit increases.

@Maj. Bill Martin

You're probably right,but I don't know a thing about how all that works.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 03:10:31 pm by sneakypete »