Author Topic: 'They Don't Hate the Country!' Whoopi Goldberg Adamantly Defends Flag Burning, Patriotic Americans  (Read 1517 times)

rangerrebew

'They Don't Hate the Country!' Whoopi Goldberg Adamantly Defends Flag Burning, Patriotic Americans
By Kristine Marsh | November 29, 2016 | 12:50 PM EST
shares

Tuesday on ABC’s The View, the panel opened by discussing Donald Trump’s recent tweets that threatened to jail or revoke citizenship to people who burned the American flag. While the whole panel agreed that this punishment would be a violation of the First Amendment, co-hosts Whoopi Goldberg went out of her way to defend the action of flag burning in the first place. When co-host Paula Faris stated that people who did this “hated” our country, Whoopi leaped in to make this brainless defense: “[T]hey don’t hate the country. Stop saying that!” she argued with Faris.

After agreeing that flag burning was allowed under the Constitution, Faris argued with Whoopi over what the flag actually represented. Faris argued that she found flag burning to be offensive because it was disrespectful to the military before Whoopi tried to make the flag about racism.

WHOOPI: The military is not the flag. The flag represents a lot of different things to different people.

Source URL: http://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/nb/kristine-marsh/2016/11/29/they-dont-hate-country-whoopi-goldberg-adamantly-defends-flag

rangerrebew

I agree.  They don't hate the country in exactly the same way Castro didn't hate America; the same way ISIS doesn't hate America; the same way BLM and Black Panthers don't hate America.  But the flag IS the military, madam Goldberg.  What do troops in battle rally around.  A picture of Bush's beans?  What was raised on Iwo Jima?  Fresh laundry?  What were so many people proudly flying after 9/11?  A Detroit Red Wing championship banner?  No!  It was the American Flag in each of the cases as it was in every battle for freedom involving the U.S. Military since the Civil War.  And it is what U.S. Troops salute at sunrise and sunset, is placed on caskets of those killed in battle, is one their ships and planes.  It is as much the military as any person in the military.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
I agree.  They don't hate the country in exactly the same way Castro didn't hate America; the same way ISIS doesn't hate America; the same way BLM and Black Panthers don't hate America.  But the flag IS the military, madam Goldberg.  What do troops in battle rally around.  A picture of Bush's beans?  What was raised on Iwo Jima?  Fresh laundry?  What were so many people proudly flying after 9/11?  A Detroit Red Wing championship banner?  No!  It was the American Flag in each of the cases as it was in every battle for freedom involving the U.S. Military since the Civil War.  And it is what U.S. Troops salute at sunrise and sunset, is placed on caskets of those killed in battle, is one their ships and planes.  It is as much the military as any person in the military.

The flag represents way more than the military.

rangerrebew

The flag represents way more than the military.

It does represent more than the military but madam Goldberg said it wasn't the military, but anyone who has served is likely to say it is.

Offline andy58-in-nh

If you choose to burn the America flag, you are protected by the United States Constitution.

But you are not protected from me.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Oceander

If you choose to burn the America flag, you are protected by the United States Constitution.

But you are not protected from me.

So you would risk criminal conviction and prison, and big civil damages, because someone's exercise of their rights offended you?

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Other than being supremacist and separatist extremists and sometimes terrorists - nah - they don't hate the country.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Doug Loss

• Proud Tennessean
So you would risk criminal conviction and prison, and big civil damages, because someone's exercise of their rights offended you?

I think I'd use the "fighting words" defense.  If burning the flag is a form of free speech, then considering the act "fighting words" seems reasonable.
My political philosophy:

1) I'm not bothering anybody.
2) It's none of your business.
3) Leave me alone!

Offline Frank Cannon

I wonder what would happen if we all started burning rainbow flags? Would the dim bulb has been Whoopie be fine with that or call it a hate crime?

Offline Zman516

I think I'd use the "fighting words" defense.  If burning the flag is a form of free speech, then considering the act "fighting words" seems reasonable.

I agree.   You KNOW that if a white guy started calling some black guy a "n*gger" and got punched out, the "fighting words" defense would be upheld in any resulting lawsuit.

The only way I see of halting flag-burning is for the offended American patriots nearby to start pounding the crap out of the burners.  Maybe the government cannot arrest the flag burner due to 1st Amendment, but pissed off Americans sure as hell can do something about it.  Problem is, obviously, no one wants to get involved in a legal hassle.  It's easier to just walk away.
Truth is the new hate-speech.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
I agree.   You KNOW that if a white guy started calling some black guy a "n*gger" and got punched out, the "fighting words" defense would be upheld in any resulting lawsuit.

The only way I see of halting flag-burning is for the offended American patriots nearby to start pounding the crap out of the burners.  Maybe the government cannot arrest the flag burner due to 1st Amendment, but pissed off Americans sure as hell can do something about it.  Problem is, obviously, no one wants to get involved in a legal hassle.  It's easier to just walk away.
If the Leftist Courts fine people so badly they cannot continue in business for NOT baking a cake, Yeah, you can expect hell to pay for punching one of the flag burners out. That's how the Left rolls. Just defending against a lawsuit can financially destroy the average person, but you can bet your last bite of brisket that they'll push for you in jail, too.

Know them for what they are, express your opinion, too, even to the point of extinguishing the flag, and taking it. Few police would arrest you for that. But don't touch the protesters short of self-defense.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
I wonder what would happen if we all started burning rainbow flags? Would the dim bulb has been Whoopie be fine with that or call it a hate crime?
That would be an interesting experiment. How much you want to bet that would be a "hate crime"?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis