Author Topic: Trump picks Elaine Chao for Transportation Secretary  (Read 9651 times)

Offline Neverdul

• Moderator Gubernatorial and State Races
Re: Trump picks Elaine Chao for Transportation Secretary
« Reply #50 on: November 29, 2016, 09:57:35 pm »
Well, the midnight headlight blind you on a rainy night
Steep grade up ahead slow me down makin' no time
But I gotta keep rollin'
Those windshield wipers slappin' outta tempo
Keepin' perfect rhythm with the song on the radio
But I gotta keep rollin'

I loved that song. ^-^

And "Driving My Life Away" seems appropriate for Transportation Secretary? :silly:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tvEvBUG8mY
So This Is How Liberty Dies, With Thunderous Applause

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #51 on: November 29, 2016, 10:10:47 pm »
@Weird Tolkienish Figure

And then before that, it was trouble if you were in favor of W.  Remember this rant about George W. Bush?

Yes, threatening insurrection if George W. Bush won in 2000.

And of course, there was that period when FR was banning anti-illegal-immigration posts, when W was suddenly the Savior.

The windshield wipers over there started well before Trump, but they used to be on intermittent.

And just a couple of years ago JimRob ranted on about what a lying scumbag liberal Donald Trump was.

Personally I think his site should drop the BS claim of being conservative and go with populism. At least the wild swerves from ditch to ditch would be expected by users and it could serve as a warning against populism.

Offline corbe

« Reply #52 on: November 29, 2016, 10:13:30 pm »
   This even has the aforementioned, infamous,windshield wipers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OA1V7cI28hI
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #53 on: November 29, 2016, 10:17:54 pm »
No Hillary would do just what Donald is doing...appointing inside the beltway people and rich donors to cabinet positions.

She'd be appointing Democrats/progressives who lean left, not Republicans/conservatives who lean right.

A lot (not all) of the criticism by nevertrumpers came from the perspective of the Establishment.  That he wasn't trustworthy, wouldn't appoint conservatives, etc.... More "establishment" Republicans such as Jeb, or Kasich, or Rubio, etc., could at least be counted on not to appoint Democrats/liberals.  But in fairness to Trump, he looks to be appointing people who are at least as conservative as who a typical GOP nominee might have appointed.

The funny thing is that the criticism you are making -- that he's not "draining the swamp" --  is actually one that should be coming primarily from Trump supporters.  That he's being insufficiently radical/populist, and too mainstream conservative/Republican.

That's what strikes me as so odd.  When Trump starts acting more like a "typical Republican" in terms of his appointments (although more conservative than most so far), that's when some NeverTrumpers do a 180 on their criticism.  "Well, now he's being just a typical Republican, not a transformation swamp drainer!"

But hell, if we all knew that ahead of time, wouldn't that have been enough to have supported him against Hillary?

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #54 on: November 29, 2016, 10:55:29 pm »
She'd be appointing Democrats/progressives who lean left, not Republicans/conservatives who lean right.

A lot (not all) of the criticism by nevertrumpers came from the perspective of the Establishment.  That he wasn't trustworthy, wouldn't appoint conservatives, etc.... More "establishment" Republicans such as Jeb, or Kasich, or Rubio, etc., could at least be counted on not to appoint Democrats/liberals.  But in fairness to Trump, he looks to be appointing people who are at least as conservative as who a typical GOP nominee might have appointed.

The funny thing is that the criticism you are making -- that he's not "draining the swamp" --  is actually one that should be coming primarily from Trump supporters.  That he's being insufficiently radical/populist, and too mainstream conservative/Republican.

That's what strikes me as so odd.  When Trump starts acting more like a "typical Republican" in terms of his appointments (although more conservative than most so far), that's when some NeverTrumpers do a 180 on their criticism.  "Well, now he's being just a typical Republican, not a transformation swamp drainer!"

But hell, if we all knew that ahead of time, wouldn't that have been enough to have supported him against Hillary?

If he'll continue on this path and make Romney-like appointments, I'll be okay.

It will annoy some but I expected much worse.

It will be interesting to see who his Court nominee turns out to be.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #55 on: November 29, 2016, 11:11:53 pm »
Whatever "good" he does, I will always say it came at too high a price.  Integrity should never be sold for short term power gains.

Exactly why I refuse to play this foolish game of saying "I'll give him a chance". He's the same lowlife he's been for his entire life and that's not going to change. He's the same sleazeball we all saw during the primaries and we all know he'll screw us in the end.

These people trying to tell us that maybe he'll be better are being incredibly dishonest with themselves because they know damn well he won't.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #56 on: November 29, 2016, 11:13:12 pm »
Integrity should never be sold for short term power gains.

Can you show me exactly where it wasn't sold? I am having a problem coming up with a list of politicians who were Saints.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #57 on: November 29, 2016, 11:20:47 pm »
Exactly why I refuse to play this foolish game of saying "I'll give him a chance". He's the same lowlife he's been for his entire life and that's not going to change. He's the same sleazeball we all saw during the primaries and we all know he'll screw us in the end.

These people trying to tell us that maybe he'll be better are being incredibly dishonest with tIhemselves because they know damn well he won't.

But it's no longer just speculation and wishful thinking.  He's nominated Sessions, who is certainly no progressive.  Neither is Flynn.  And his newly-announced heads of HHS and CMS are rock-ribbed conservatives in terms of health reform that should make any conservative happy.  Chao is a conservative....  Even Romney at State would be much better than some of your guys would have predicted before the election.  And Mattis is guaranteed to be much better than the woman Hillary was going to appoint.

When you won't even acknowledge any of that, I'd suggest that you are the ones being dishonest with yourselves.

Oceander

« Reply #58 on: November 29, 2016, 11:40:38 pm »
But it's no longer just speculation and wishful thinking.  He's nominated Sessions, who is certainly no progressive.  Neither is Flynn.  And his newly-announced heads of HHS and CMS are rock-ribbed conservatives in terms of health reform that should make any conservative happy.  Chao is a conservative....  Even Romney at State would be much better than some of your guys would have predicted before the election.  And Mattis is guaranteed to be much better than the woman Hillary was going to appoint.

When you won't even acknowledge any of that, I'd suggest that you are the ones being dishonest with yourselves.

The proof will be in the pudding.  We shall see, but until then, no benefit of the doubt.  The fact remains, however, that he has repudiated his campaign promises.  Now, i for one, would not be unhappy with Romney as SoS, but I am going to rub Trumpkins' noses in the fact that Trump lied to them about what he planned to do and will laugh til my sides split that your guy is ending up doing what I want and not what you want, at least, that is, if I can grant you the benefit of believing that you supported Trump because of what he said during the campaign and not in spite of what he said.  If that's not the case, then you're simply incoherent. 
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 11:41:52 pm by Oceander »

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #59 on: November 30, 2016, 12:07:14 am »
You can have integrity short of being a saint.  I guess to me the difference is in both being able to self correct and being able to value others as much as you do yourself.  Does anyone achieve that to a perfect measure?  Of course not.  But Trump is on the opposite end of the scale.  He is so shameful that I will never rejoin the Republican Party as long as he is the leader.  Whatever power gains he affords the right, the cost was, is, and always will be too high.

You put too much stock and energy into people who are in a profession that requires lying, cheating and stealing to be successful. 

Offline musiclady

« Reply #60 on: November 30, 2016, 12:22:28 am »
You can have integrity short of being a saint.  I guess to me the difference is in both being able to self correct and being able to value others as much as you do yourself.  Does anyone achieve that to a perfect measure?  Of course not.  But Trump is on the opposite end of the scale.  He is so shameful that I will never rejoin the Republican Party as long as he is the leader.  Whatever power gains he affords the right, the cost was, is, and always will be too high.

:amen:
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Wingnut

« Reply #61 on: November 30, 2016, 12:25:08 am »
I loved that song. ^-^

And "Driving My Life Away" seems appropriate for Transportation Secretary? :silly:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tvEvBUG8mY

888high58888

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #62 on: November 30, 2016, 12:47:06 am »
I disagree that it is required.  It is all too common.  But that is to our shame. 

I agree with this:

"In selecting men for office, let principle be your guide. Regard not the particular sect or denomination of the candidate, look to his character. The scriptures teach that rulers should be men who rule in the fear of God, able men, men of truth, hating covetousness. It is to the neglect of this rule that we must ascribe the multified frauds, breaches of trust, and embezzlement of public property which tarnish the character of our country and disgrace government. When a citizen gives his vote to a man of known immorality, he abuses his civic responsibility, he sacrifices not only his interest, but that of his neighbor; he betrays the interest of his country." Noah Webster, 1823

That high minded quote sounds so stately and erudite............until you factor in that Webster was a hard core partisan. He was hooked up with Alexander Hamilton (today's Donald Trump) and spewed hate at Jefferson. A lot of these quotes from him are slams against the other side, not random thoughts on life.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #63 on: November 30, 2016, 02:01:23 am »
Not surprised by this, and not disappointed, either.  My expectations were low to begin with.   :shrug:

I am not a Trump supporter by any means; the only saving grace so far is that he prevented Hillary from becoming president. I gave Trump a clean slate when he became our president elect...given his track record as a liberal I am not surprised, but certainly very disappointed. That glimmer of hope I had is narrowing already :(
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 02:03:50 am by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #64 on: November 30, 2016, 02:27:23 am »

Therea a lot of distance between nominating someone for a position and actually being the one that gets sworn in.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 02:27:48 am by txradioguy »
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline corbe

« Reply #65 on: November 30, 2016, 02:31:41 am »
Therea a lot of distance between nominating someone for a position and actually being the one that gets sworn in.

Secretary Chao will, for once, be treating her husband EXTRA nice for the next 8 weeks, at least.

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #66 on: November 30, 2016, 02:32:23 am »

These people trying to tell us that maybe he'll be better are being incredibly dishonest with themselves because they know damn well he won't.

Can you explain to me what choice we have besides giving him a chance.  He HAS a chance whether we like it or not.  And, yes, I would rather have him than Hillary.

I'm gonna play the game of waiting until we're screwed before I say we're screwed.

Offline Meshuge Mikey

• Master of Visual Propaganda
« Reply #67 on: November 30, 2016, 02:42:05 am »

Except for 2ndDivisionVet. He's a righteous dude.

there is a possibility that another :"of our own" is also still posting there on rare occasions!   I love to but alas I can not SHARE my many Takes On the The Donny!! 

Have Indentified as a Male since birth!

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #68 on: November 30, 2016, 02:47:57 am »
If you order a turd pie you know it's a turd pie before you taste it.  You don't have to wait and see.  I do not believe Trump will miraculously become someone he was not during the campaign and has never been during his entire 70 years of life.

I don't either but I'm talking about what he will DO not what he is.  So far he has made some decent appointments.  Nothing to do a rain dance about but so much better than what I expected.  So, yeah, I will hope he continues in that direction.

You do know I'm the one who says he won't last out his term.  But so far, he's getting good advice from somewhere.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #69 on: November 30, 2016, 03:07:13 am »
I am not a Trump supporter by any means; the only saving grace so far is that he prevented Hillary from becoming president. I gave Trump a clean slate when he became our president elect...given his track record as a liberal I am not surprised, but certainly very disappointed. That glimmer of hope I had is narrowing already :(

All those Trump supporters need to start holding his feet to the fire.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #70 on: November 30, 2016, 05:23:57 am »
You don't get good fruit from a bad tree.  The appointments are already a mixed review.  I think it is significant that he is all about rewarding those big names who supported him even while he is already stabbing his low-man supporters in the back.  Flip-flop.   Bait and switch.  Scammer-in-Chief.  He is an egomaniac who will be vindictive to anyone who does not follow his orders.  So count me unimpressed by even the decent appointments.  His motive matters.  Who he is matters.  We already know what drives him:  Self aggrandizement, self promotion and self enrichment (monetary).  The turd pie that is Donald Trump is all crap.  Guaranteed.  I'm with @Cripplecreek  in that I won't wander off into wishful thinking. 

But yes I know what you've said and our difference here is not about principle.   888high58888

You're a hard woman.  LOL.  But we can criticize him all we want and it won't make a darn bit of difference.

I am simply choosing to watch what he does and see how it plays out.  And I do take comfort in the fact that the Obamas and the Clintons are gone ... or almost gone.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #71 on: November 30, 2016, 06:35:51 am »
Not surprised by this, and not disappointed, either.  My expectations were low to begin with.   :shrug:
I agree.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #72 on: November 30, 2016, 07:07:34 am »
Can you show me exactly where it wasn't sold? I am having a problem coming up with a list of politicians who were Saints.
That is a pretty good question, and just to play devil's advocate...after Dubya secured his re-election he went out of his way to avoid blaming the GOP Congress for any failures.  He took the hit as the leader and protected his team.  So much so that many of his critics today find that to be a fault.  In hindsight perhaps it was worse for the GOP brand, but I still find it an admirable trait of Dubya and I doubt Trump will ever point a finger at himself when things go wrong.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #73 on: November 30, 2016, 08:44:11 am »
That is a pretty good question, and just to play devil's advocate...after Dubya secured his re-election he went out of his way to avoid blaming the GOP Congress for any failures.  He took the hit as the leader and protected his team.  So much so that many of his critics today find that to be a fault.  In hindsight perhaps it was worse for the GOP brand, but I still find it an admirable trait of Dubya and I doubt Trump will ever point a finger at himself when things go wrong.

Oh. Poor W. Took one for the team but doesn't get any credit. What a swell fellow.......to bad that is total bullshit. His 2nd term was a disaster. There is a reason that even GOP voters hated him at the end. Remember those '06 midterms? Remember his terrible SC appointment. Remember the mess Iraq was and how he insisted the Rummy stay in there? Remember LOST and how he pushed that POS idea? Remember how destroyed the party was in '08 allowing an avowed Merxist to become President?

You're mistaking incompetence for virtue. I don't care where fingers are pointed. I care that adjustments are made and we get back on track.

Offline uglybiker

« Reply #74 on: November 30, 2016, 11:09:05 am »

Another genius conservative pick.

:smokin:
nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-BATMAN!!!