Author Topic: GOP President-Elect Donald Trump Says Same-Sex Marriage Is 'Settled' Law  (Read 26571 times)

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
Re: GOP President-Elect Donald Trump Says Same-Sex Marriage Is 'Settled' Law
« Reply #350 on: November 18, 2016, 03:31:22 am »
Slavery lasted 300 years, it was in our country at birth. I guess now I know it was okay because it was settled law.

You don't see a difference between a law that suppresses liberty, and one that extends it? 

The peaceable community's law is never settled when it comes to oppression.  But a liberty extended attracts its constituents. 
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #351 on: November 18, 2016, 03:34:28 am »
You don't see a difference between a law that suppresses liberty, and one that extends it? 

The peaceable community's law is never settled when it comes to oppression.  But a liberty extended attracts its constituents.

I think I can agree with this; but in this instance, Roe V. Wade seemed to be mentioned as "choice".  In that, liberty would be suppressed to the unborn.

I think Trump and a lot of people see the "life" issue as carrying more weight. At the least, our government should not be giving any funds to abortion and so on.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #352 on: November 18, 2016, 03:35:11 am »
Take it up with Donald. He's the guy thats good with 'settled law'.

So is Donald wrong?

As said, Trump is smart enough to not pick a fight with the LGBT lobby.

That would be a distraction to everyone.

Offline Meshuge Mikey

• Master of Visual Propaganda
« Reply #353 on: November 18, 2016, 03:39:09 am »

marriage cant be extended to this not quipped for it SCreW the law Common sense TRUMPS the law!!!
Have Indentified as a Male since birth!

Offline goodwithagun

« Reply #354 on: November 18, 2016, 03:44:28 am »
1. If you don't know that Baptists, some at least, Fundamentalists, see drinking and dancing as sins, you sure haven't been around.

2. Trump is not the only person to have multiple marriages, I understand it is quite common.  But I guess he makes a good scapegoat to pop off at someone.

I was raised Baptist, coolottes and all. Ironically I married a good Catholic boy and with him had three Catholic babies. I'm now a proud 1.5 year old Catholic. What's your point?
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #355 on: November 18, 2016, 03:59:02 am »

What law?  I don't see any law here.  All I see are five Supreme Court Justices forcing their personal moral preference on the rest of the nation while due process, equal protection, and self-governance are tossed atop the pyre.

Before this ruling, we had law.  We had the citizens of a state governing themselves within the confines of Amendment XIV.  We had equal protection.  Personal preference played no role.

After the ruling, personal preference has been injected forcing equal protection out the door, since it is only the personal preference of five tyrants that is allowed at the expense of everyone else's. 
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #356 on: November 18, 2016, 03:59:52 am »

What you said was "Slavery lasted 300 years, it was in our country at birth. I guess now I know it was okay because it was settled law."

When it's the right fight, and this is, it doesn't matter who you pick it with. Unfortunately your pragmatism both rules out understanding that and prolongs the liberalism in control of America.

Online DB

« Reply #357 on: November 18, 2016, 04:07:22 am »

And you don't think they said the same thing when slavery was legal?

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #358 on: November 18, 2016, 04:10:06 am »
And you don't think they said the same thing when slavery was legal?
That fight they picked over slavery turned out to be a four-year, extremely bloody civil war and a decade-long, tension-filled "reconstruction" in which the South was basically coerced into adopting the 13th through 15th Amendments in exchange for self-government.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline TomSea

« Reply #359 on: November 18, 2016, 04:10:47 am »
It's like the Bible says, if you commit one sin, you've committed them all.

Drinking, dancing are sins to a lot of fundamentalists; we are left with the question as to whom legislates morality. Some things are obviously not acceptable such as stealing and so on.

Offline mirraflake

« Reply #360 on: November 18, 2016, 03:52:42 pm »

All the legal aspects you believe homosexuals are excluded from are available in different forms, be it trusts or other documents.

Gays cannot pass their estate to their partner tax free unless they are married. No trust or legal document allows it. Period

@thackney

Offline SirLinksALot

« Reply #361 on: November 18, 2016, 04:44:53 pm »
Gays cannot pass their estate to their partner tax free unless they are married. No trust or legal document allows it. Period

Well, I am sure the law can be changed to accomodate for that without having to change the definition of marriage.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #362 on: November 18, 2016, 04:58:22 pm »
Well, I am sure the law can be changed to accomodate for that without having to change the definition of marriage.

To me is sounds like a simple excess of governance period.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #363 on: November 18, 2016, 05:37:47 pm »
Gays cannot pass their estate to their partner tax free unless they are married.

Neither can straight people.

No trust or legal document allows it. Period

@thackney

There are many ways to avoid estate taxes that do not involve marriage.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline thackney

« Reply #364 on: November 18, 2016, 05:37:58 pm »

I thought there are ways to place your into a trust or other legal entity such that the entity continues to exist and hold the wealth outside of death, regardless of the relationship, children, business partner, etc...  I will take your word I am wrong.  My net worth is below the level of inheritance tax so I've never researched it.

That said, as I stated before, I support civil unions that give the legal status to same sex couples as heterosexual couples. 

Also I see inheritance tax as an abuse of governmental power and should not exist for anyone.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #365 on: November 18, 2016, 05:39:45 pm »

@thackney

Really? Civil unions didn't do that?

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #366 on: November 19, 2016, 02:06:26 am »

Really? Civil unions didn't do that?

I believe the problem was at the federal level.    The feds should have acted proactively and granted anyone in a state-sanctioned civil union the full rights of a spouse under the Internal Revenue Code.   That would have muted the equal protection argument,  and caused marriage equality advocates to have to argue something more ephemeral than the loss of hundreds of thousands of dollars paid in taxes.   Which they did, successfully, in the pivotal California Supreme Court opinion,  which in my view is the case that first articulated why gay marriage was inevitable.   

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #367 on: November 19, 2016, 01:47:30 pm »
I believe the problem was at the federal level.    The feds should have acted proactively and granted anyone in a state-sanctioned civil union the full rights of a spouse under the Internal Revenue Code.   That would have muted the equal protection argument,  and caused marriage equality advocates to have to argue something more ephemeral than the loss of hundreds of thousands of dollars paid in taxes.   Which they did, successfully, in the pivotal California Supreme Court opinion,  which in my view is the case that first articulated why gay marriage was inevitable.

Not the Feds job. Thisnis clearly a state issue. See 9th and 10th Amend!ents.

And again...there is NOT any kind of Equal Protection violation.

Stop lying.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #368 on: November 19, 2016, 02:27:10 pm »

I support civil unions that give the legal status to same sex couples as heterosexual couples. 

Also I see inheritance tax as an abuse of governmental power and should not exist for anyone.

I'm good with this. In fact I think social security survivor benefits should go to a chosen beneficiary rather than the beneficiaries chosen by the state. I know my mother hated the idea of her current husband getting anything and she hoped to outlive him so he wouldn't get anything.

My mother would have divorced the guy years ago but again the federal and state governments interfered and created a situation that kept them married and estranged for nearly 20 years. Michigan's no fault divorce law means my mother would have forced her to sell everything she owned and give him half. (The man never had a job or paid a bill the whole time they were married and he robbed her blind to pawn things off to get high).

The state again steps in where they don't belong and dictates that the spouse gets 1/3 despite my mother's will saying he deserves nothing. Fortunately he has managed to screw himself with his excitement to seize everything and has likely lost any right to the rest that he had.

Point being, these problems are all rooted in the state interference (And my mother marrying a turd)

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #369 on: November 19, 2016, 05:32:44 pm »

There is a way which seems right to a man, But its end is the way of death.

Proverbs 14:12

Proverbs 16:25

But a liberty extended attracts its constituents.

Homosexual marriage is not liberty.

It's LICENSE.

Big difference.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #370 on: November 22, 2016, 07:18:29 pm »
Not the Feds job. Thisnis clearly a state issue. See 9th and 10th Amend!ents.

It certainly is with respect to the Internal Revenue Code.  That case that secured marriage equality stemmed directly from a widow's inability to exclude her spouse's inheritance from federal estate tax.  If the feds had acted to recognize state-sanctioned marriages and civil unions under the Tax Code, the SCOTUS may never have acted.       

And again...there is NOT any kind of Equal Protection violation.

Stop lying.

We have a difference of opinion.   That's not "lying".   And the courts back me up, not you.   That's also not a lie.     

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #371 on: November 22, 2016, 07:21:56 pm »

It's LICENSE.

Big difference.

Malarkey.  A gay couple that wants to marry must make the same commitment that you have with your spouse -  'til death (or the divorce court) do us part. 

Marriage is an institution for legal recognition of the family.  A gay couple has as much right to that recognition as you do.

How God feels about it is irrelevant.   

Offline SirLinksALot

« Reply #372 on: November 22, 2016, 07:24:59 pm »
Malarkey.  A gay couple that wants to marry must make the same commitment that you have with your spouse -  'til death (or the divorce court) do us part. 

Marriage is an institution for legal recognition of the family.  A gay couple has as much right to that recognition as you do.

How about the feelings and deeply held beliefs of devout Christians? Are they or should they be irrelevant?

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #373 on: November 22, 2016, 07:25:05 pm »

It's LICENSE.

Big difference.

All marriage in relation to the government contract of marriage is license.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #374 on: November 22, 2016, 07:27:02 pm »

How God feels about a religious covenant is irrelevant?  Well...ok then.