Author Topic: Here’s How Ronald Reagan Explained Why Nov. 11 Became Veterans Day  (Read 573 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Here’s How Ronald Reagan Explained Why Nov. 11 Became Veterans Day

Lily Rothman @lilyrothman

The annual observance used to be Armistice Day, until it became Veterans Day in the 1950s

As Americans mark Veterans Day on Friday, some citizens may remember when that day was called something totally different: Armistice Day.

Within a few years of the end of World War I, TIME has explained, Congress decided to commemorate the Nov. 11, 1918, armistice that brought the end of that war with an annual celebration of the peace and those who had fought for it. Armistice Day became a national holiday in the 1930s.

But by 1954, Congress officially changed the name of the day to Veterans Day. What happened in between?

In 1982, President Ronald Reagan explained why the old label for the day had ceased to be applicable:

I may be one of the few people in this room who remembers when Veterans Day was called Armistice Day, commemorating the armistice that ended the First World War on the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month of the year in 1918. And I might add, I not only remember when it was called that day, I guess we may be the only ones that were on the streets in the wild celebration of the first and actual Armistice Day when it was signed.

Armistice Day honored those who gave their lives in “the war to end all wars”— a day of hope that they had not given their lives in vain. But within a few years, and in spite of an impressive effort on the part of the Western democracies to limit arms and to outlaw war, aggressors rearmed and war came again. Ironically, Armistice Day was made a legal holiday in the United States in 1938, just 1 year before a second and more terrible conflagration swept across Europe.

Read More At: http://time.com/4555301/armistice-day-veterans-day/

Offline montanajoe

Re: Here’s How Ronald Reagan Explained Why Nov. 11 Became Veterans Day
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2016, 02:18:24 am »
I remember when they changed it to the forth Monday in October, around 1970, was another way to protest the war and by extension those of us in uniform.

Sure was glad common sense prevailed and it was changed back...

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Re: Here’s How Ronald Reagan Explained Why Nov. 11 Became Veterans Day
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2016, 11:18:10 am »
Didn't go to the Cenotaph this year. Just did the minute silence in the office.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink