Author Topic: Be gracious winners  (Read 15731 times)

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: Be gracious winners
« Reply #175 on: November 15, 2016, 04:32:56 am »
Even I - a confirmed never Trumper - find this to be indescribably delicious!

http://www.facebook.com/DailyCaller/videos/10153943492616770/
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline libertybele

« Reply #176 on: November 15, 2016, 04:37:11 am »
Thanks for the video clip!   888high58888
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #177 on: November 15, 2016, 04:40:44 am »
Strong Virginia women can throw a man on the pyre if he gets mouthy enough.

This is true.  I can testify firsthand.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #178 on: November 15, 2016, 04:48:31 am »

Quote from: Bigun on November 15, 2016, 04:32:56 am
Even I - a confirmed never Trumper - find this to be indescribably delicious!

http://www.facebook.com/DailyCaller/videos/10153943492616770/

Oh... my... gosh. 
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #179 on: November 15, 2016, 04:55:48 am »
Strong Virginia women can throw a man on the pyre if he gets mouthy enough.   22222frying pan

I xan voich for that! My brother married one of them..a First Family gal who can so sweetly cut you down verbally, too.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #180 on: November 15, 2016, 05:26:10 am »
I have to look way back in my closet to see where my old hair shirt got to.....

BBL..........

@CatherineofAragon
Sackcloth and ashes work in a pinch... :silly:
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #181 on: November 15, 2016, 05:45:50 am »
A lot of good literature  out there for Trump to read and I hope he does.

May I recommend any books by Milton Friedman, Barry Goldwater, certain websites like Mises Institute, maybe some works by Murry Rothbard?

I can think of many books to recommend any incumbent or incoming president, assuming they've the capacity to inquire above
and beyond their own noses. This one in particular, to both Donaldus Minimus and a good number of a) his actual or suspected
picks for key administration positions; and, b) his followers . . .

. . . but I suspect that there are many among his followers (not necessarily on this site) who might fall into the category of rejecting
the imperial presidency not because it is antithetical to constitutional government---until their candidate wins the White
House despite giving the invariable impression that he, too, would be an imperial president if so allowed.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #182 on: November 15, 2016, 12:11:45 pm »
Good policy.

It's easy to get too personal with people who don't know you from Adam, and be offended by the ignorant things they say because they don't know you from Adam.

I'm getting better at that than I used to be, thanks to calming influences like @Lando Lincoln   ^-^

Thanks m'lady.  But if I find that Banana Peel guy or get him in a corner...!
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 12:16:00 pm by Lando Lincoln »
John Steinbeck

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #183 on: November 15, 2016, 12:15:02 pm »
@Lando Lincoln

I'm positive you can take care of yourself, Lando.  Norm, however, well...he's easily "triggered"...

Well, I'm feeling every grey whisker this morning CoA.
John Steinbeck

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #184 on: November 15, 2016, 01:18:40 pm »
I can think of many books to recommend any incumbent or incoming president, assuming they've the capacity to inquire above
and beyond their own noses. This one in particular, to both Donaldus Minimus and a good number of a) his actual or suspected
picks for key administration positions; and, b) his followers . . .

. . . but I suspect that there are many among his followers (not necessarily on this site) who might fall into the category of rejecting
the imperial presidency not because it is antithetical to constitutional government---until their candidate wins the White
House despite giving the invariable impression that he, too, would be an imperial president if so allowed.
I haven't read that, but I am reluctant to provide examples of what not to do to anyone new on such jobs. Look at what happened with 1984. Some of us viewed it as a horror story, others as a manual... That difference in outlook, in what should be done with power, is the stuff that leads to slaughter on a global scale.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 01:19:32 pm by Smokin Joe »

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #185 on: November 15, 2016, 03:21:47 pm »
I haven't read that, but I am reluctant to provide examples of what not to do to anyone new on such jobs.

So that's why you've never become a professional pundit! (If there's one thing about the chattering class that's
been a truism in all the years I've indulged reading about politics, government, and law, it's that you can't have
a single election without someone with such print or broadcast access suggesting what incoming jobholders
should consider doing on the jobs they're about to assume, regardless of the jobholder or his or her incoming
reputation.)

Look at what happened with 1984. Some of us viewed it as a horror story, others as a manual... That difference in outlook, in what should be done with power, is the stuff that leads to slaughter on a global scale.

I should think it depends on the outlook. (It isn't exactly unfair to say that Mr. Healy is right that Americans by
and large have come to view the presidency as the alpha of government and political power, never mind
that the presidency was designed to be anything but, and that in the election just concluded the supporters
of either major party candidate behaved and spoke in ways enough to convince a thinking person that, once
again, we were electing a prospective monarch and not a president. It didn't begin with Donaldus Minimus
and Hilarious Rodent Clinton, of course, and it's not likely to end with them, either, until or unless a change
in the American mind should come.)

And, the power. (Consider the former Soviet Union, about whom it was fair to say that 1984 was six parts
fictionalised history and half a dozen parts operating manual.)

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #186 on: November 15, 2016, 03:32:25 pm »

(It isn't exactly unfair to say that Mr. Healy is right that Americans by
and large have come to view the presidency as the alpha of government and political power, never mind
that the presidency was designed to be anything but, and that in the election just concluded the supporters
of either major party candidate behaved and spoke in ways enough to convince a thinking person that, once
again, we were electing a prospective monarch and not a president. It didn't begin with Donaldus Minimus
and Hilarious Rodent Clinton, of course, and it's not likely to end with them, either, until or unless a change

I'm reminded of all the times I've heard democrats refer to Obama as "the boss" (incidentally the same thing the soviets called Stalin, Kruschev and others) and now we have Trump toadies saying that we will all bow down Trump.

I've got a big ole gold plated FU for those toadies and their glorious leaders on both sides.

The president is my underling and employee, he or she will never be anything more.

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #187 on: November 15, 2016, 04:26:19 pm »

I'm reminded of all the times I've heard democrats refer to Obama as "the boss" (incidentally the same thing the soviets called Stalin, Kruschev and others) and now we have Trump toadies saying that we will all bow down Trump.

I've got a big ole gold plated FU for those toadies and their glorious leaders on both sides.

The president is my underling and employee, he or she will never be anything more.

I've long had issues with authority figures. Goes back a long ways, to my Jesuit education, and my Army experiences. Our battalion was deployed to three NATO air bases, and my unit was 40 miles from Battalion HQ. To say that we were often "on our own" was an understatement. I had other assignments and extra duties that also required independent thinking and judgment, such as a TDY assignment at a German training facility that was 400 miles from home station.

I got along superbly with superiors that demanded imagination and intelligence from their officers, so much so that my last battalion commander asked me to work for him when we were both reassigned to Fort Bliss. Though a young Captain, he assigned me to a position usually filled by a Lieutenant Colonel.

OTOH, my "promising" military career was derailed by superiors whose leadership style had much in common with the President-elect.  lol 

Whether it's Trump supporters that refer to Trump as "The Boss", or those at TOS who apply the same moniker to JimRob, I simply find it grating, like fingernails on a chalk board. Those elected to high office are deserving of the respect that comes with that office, but I will not hesitate to voice my displeasure with their actions. As you said, he works for us, not the other way around.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #188 on: November 15, 2016, 05:51:04 pm »
I've long had issues with authority figures. Goes back a long ways, to my Jesuit education, and my Army experiences. Our battalion was deployed to three NATO air bases, and my unit was 40 miles from Battalion HQ. To say that we were often "on our own" was an understatement. I had other assignments and extra duties that also required independent thinking and judgment, such as a TDY assignment at a German training facility that was 400 miles from home station.

I got along superbly with superiors that demanded imagination and intelligence from their officers, so much so that my last battalion commander asked me to work for him when we were both reassigned to Fort Bliss. Though a young Captain, he assigned me to a position usually filled by a Lieutenant Colonel.

OTOH, my "promising" military career was derailed by superiors whose leadership style had much in common with the President-elect.  lol 

Whether it's Trump supporters that refer to Trump as "The Boss", or those at TOS who apply the same moniker to JimRob, I simply find it grating, like fingernails on a chalk board. Those elected to high office are deserving of the respect that comes with that office, but I will not hesitate to voice my displeasure with their actions. As you said, he works for us, not the other way around.

The best leaders inspire men to follow them. No rational man wants to follow a man who threatens and abuses him.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #189 on: November 15, 2016, 06:02:41 pm »
So that's why you've never become a professional pundit! (If there's one thing about the chattering class that's
been a truism in all the years I've indulged reading about politics, government, and law, it's that you can't have
a single election without someone with such print or broadcast access suggesting what incoming jobholders
should consider doing on the jobs they're about to assume, regardless of the jobholder or his or her incoming
reputation.)
No, I spent most of my adult years either finding oil, or when we did that too well and crashed the price, in a variety of other jobs. As for the incoming jobholders, they made a raft of promises on the way to their positions, let those promises which were the stuff that got them elected be the checklist by which their progress is measured.
They write their own ticket, but their destination becomes the test. After all, that's what people voted for.
I should think it depends on the outlook. (It isn't exactly unfair to say that Mr. Healy is right that Americans by
No, it is a sad state of affairs that in the last fifty years the people have forgotten they are the holders of the power in this nation. Perhaps that really began with all the "Camelot" nonsense treating JFK as "American Royalty", but somewhere in there we seemed to forget that these people are our employees, not our rulers.
And, the power. (Consider the former Soviet Union, about whom it was fair to say that 1984 was six parts
fictionalised history and half a dozen parts operating manual.)
Perhaps, but the Communist New Left of the '60s wasn't all 'burn baby burn' and 'get the kids stoned', there was a purpose, and that purpose was the seizure of power from a distracted and somnolent people. They succeeded wildly, because we now live in a surveillance based society where virtually every transaction can be tracked, in some cases down to the groceries in your basket, where government power arbitrarily intrudes into every facet of our lives. Winston Smith would have had it easy. A few mouse clicks and done. Even now, if that was the goal, a person's existence would be easier to erase than ever if the government wanted that so, and their records could be altered at will.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #190 on: November 15, 2016, 06:05:31 pm »
The best leaders inspire men to follow them. No rational man wants to follow a man who threatens and abuses him.
That doesn't stop a multitude, though, who out of fear, irrational devotion, or both will follow them like an abused spouse.

C S Lewis

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #191 on: November 15, 2016, 06:15:47 pm »
No, I spent most of my adult years either finding oil, or when we did that too well and crashed the price, in a variety of other jobs. As for the incoming jobholders, they made a raft of promises on the way to their positions, let those promises which were the stuff that got them elected be the checklist by which their progress is measured.

If that's the checklist, they'll be going off the checklist before the swearings-in. ;)

No, it is a sad state of affairs that in the last fifty years the people have forgotten they are the holders of the power in this nation. Perhaps that really began with all the "Camelot" nonsense treating JFK as "American Royalty", but somewhere in there we seemed to forget that these people are our employees, not our rulers.

It didn't begin with JFK, even if there hadn't been a concurrent Broadway musical in the past to give the syndrome
under FDR a nickname. And the precedent could even have preceded FDR, though his advent as a presidential
candidate does seem to have stirred a vast passion for looking toward a president as a kind of king or even saviour
rather than a chief executive.

Perhaps, but the Communist New Left of the '60s wasn't all 'burn baby burn' and 'get the kids stoned', there was a purpose, and that purpose was the seizure of power from a distracted and somnolent people. They succeeded wildly, because we now live in a surveillance based society where virtually every transaction can be tracked, in some cases down to the groceries in your basket, where government power arbitrarily intrudes into every facet of our lives.

That didn't exactly begin in the New Left era, either. It's sometimes forgotten but FDR himself angled toward what
we now call a surveillance society to a certain extent.

Winston Smith would have had it easy. A few mouse clicks and done. Even now, if that was the goal, a person's existence would be easier to erase than ever if the government wanted that so, and their records could be altered at will.

Smith would have had it easy enough prior to today. He'd have been enthralled with the Kennedy, Johnson, and Nixon
wiretappings, not to mention George W. Bush's Patriot Act.

We could analyse and review the syndrome nigh unto death and nothing would change. You're not going to stop the
pursuit of the presidency as an elected monarchy until you begin to change people's minds about gazing upon the
president as a king and the White House as a palace. One of the saddest ironies today is that a man who wrote one
of the best books I've ever read arguing against the presidency as an elective monarch, F.H. Buckley (the book is
The Once and Future King; Mr. Buckley is no relation to the family of William F. Buckley, Jr., by the way),
came out, poor man, in support of a candidate who was nothing if not an aspiring monarch of a sort---Donaldus Minimus.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #192 on: November 15, 2016, 06:18:45 pm »
It didn't begin with JFK, even if there hadn't been a concurrent Broadway musical in the past to give the syndrome
under FDR a nickname. And the precedent could even have preceded FDR, though his advent as a presidential
candidate does seem to have stirred a vast passion for looking toward a president as a kind of king or even saviour
rather than a chief executive.

@EasyAce

Actually it started before the ink was dry on the Constitution and was given a huge boost by one Abraham Lincoln.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 06:33:58 pm by Bigun »

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #193 on: November 15, 2016, 06:31:57 pm »
@EasyAce

Actually it started before the ink was dry on the Constitution was given a huge boost by one Abraham Lincoln.

Lincoln did behave like a kind of imperial president from time to time, but I don't recall seeing where
those voting during his campaigns looked at him as a prospective elected monarch.

Then there was Theodore Roosevelt, who really acted like an imperial president who'd been elected
to a throne and not as a chief executive, often as not. But even then TR was smart enough not to let
people think of him as a prospective monarch the first time he ran for the office on his own, seemingly.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #194 on: November 15, 2016, 06:35:16 pm »
Lincoln did behave like a kind of imperial president from time to time, but I don't recall seeing where
those voting during his campaigns looked at him as a prospective elected monarch.

Well at least those in a good number of states didn't! That is for sure!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #195 on: November 15, 2016, 06:49:51 pm »

Let's not forget that buttinski Woodrow Wilson---nobody looked to him as an elected monarch
in the making but he behaved like one, too, from time to time.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #196 on: November 15, 2016, 06:51:37 pm »
Let's not forget that buttinski Woodrow Wilson---nobody looked to him as an elected monarch
in the making but he behaved like one, too, from time to time.

OH Absolutely!  NO doubt about that!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #197 on: November 15, 2016, 09:20:14 pm »
Actually, many in my state of origin looked on him as a tyrant.

C S Lewis

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #198 on: November 16, 2016, 01:15:30 pm »
Just catching up....

@DCPatriot this is the funniest reply I've seen in a while.   :silly: :silly: :silly:

:beer:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #199 on: November 16, 2016, 08:38:06 pm »
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️