Author Topic: WSJ: The Cheap Moralizing of Never Trump  (Read 67905 times)

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Re: WSJ: The Cheap Moralizing of Never Trump
« Reply #450 on: October 21, 2016, 03:02:03 pm »
He sold out. His speech "Let me tell you what I think of Donald Trump" is every bit as binding as they are the words he himself spoke.

You are persistent; I'll give you that.   :smash:

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #451 on: October 21, 2016, 03:02:25 pm »
No, it's not.  Your "entire point" is that Norm knows all, and nobody else's ideas or motives matter.  You're more a symptom of the problem -- this unquenchable need to excommunicate conservatives who don't agree with you on every single point.  That's why "conservatism" -- individually defined -- has resulted in toxic factional posturing.

Whatever...

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #452 on: October 21, 2016, 03:03:59 pm »
You are persistent; I'll give you that.   :smash:

Well you tell me then. Which Ted Cruz statement was true and which was not. They cannot both be.

Online corbe

« Reply #453 on: October 21, 2016, 03:06:33 pm »
   Not pointing fingers or mentions names BUT

Some of us are more 'unpure' than others of us, obviously.

****slapping
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #454 on: October 21, 2016, 03:09:57 pm »
   Not pointing fingers or mentions names BUT

Some of us are more 'unpure' than others of us, obviously.

****slapping

^-^

Offline r9etb

« Reply #455 on: October 21, 2016, 03:15:19 pm »
Actually no it's not 'whatever'. How can you with a straight face talk about first principles and then blow off the very heart of them? Do you think conservatism is an ends/means philosophy? Or do think it is principle based? If it is principle based then the ends never justify the means. Principled action justifies the means.

What this comes down to is you don't like the messenger so you discount the message.

On the contrary.  I'm sure you're a very nice person.  It's your message that I discount.  You're propounding an utterly rigid ideology that permits no variation in belief or behavior.  It is a philosophy that requires you to fully know the particulars of every situation.

As a result, everybody is, to you, a potential enemy.

You, sir, need to lighten up.

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #456 on: October 21, 2016, 03:24:14 pm »
On the contrary.  I'm sure you're a very nice person.  It's your message that I discount.  You're propounding an utterly rigid ideology that permits no variation in belief or behavior.  It is a philosophy that requires you to fully know the particulars of every situation.

Why is it rigid? We havent even GOTTEN to a coherent philosophy yet. this entire branch of the conversation is predicated on the fact that conservatives can't agree on anything.

I am asking one core thing. What do we believe? Thats it. Tear everything else away. The personalities, the memes, the emoticons...what do we believe?

Now. Before we establish that, the rest is moot. I believe in the Reagan vision of conservatism. The guy that said 'We arent going to hand the party over." The guy that didn't make quantum shifts in his beliefs depending on who his opponent was or abandon his base for pledges he should never have made to begin with. A man that admitted mistakes but fought like a demon for his principles and what he KNEW to be right because he thought them through.

Now is that wrong? Is it WRONG to stand on what we believe and fight for it? Thats what I'm doing. Thats what a lot of people refuse to and get 6 ways of torqued about. I know what I believe. Do you? Then fight for it instead of 'whatever-ing' and complaining about demonization and purity.

Convince me of your position like Reagan convinced people of his. Because THAT is what we have to do. But we can't as a group until we know and agree on something.

Offline r9etb

« Reply #457 on: October 21, 2016, 03:37:14 pm »
Why is it rigid?

I couldn't say why it's rigid -- you'll need to explain to us why that's so.  All I know is, you've labeled everybody who doesn't adhere to your standards concerning Trump to be "evil."  Pretty rigid.

We haven't even GOTTEN to a coherent philosophy yet. this entire branch of the conversation is predicated on the fact that conservatives can't agree on anything.

I am asking one core thing. What do we believe? Thats it. Tear everything else away. The personalities, the memes, the emoticons...what do we believe?

No, Norm, that's not what you're doing.  Your part in this conversation has been to tear into anybody who doesn't agree with you.  To call them evil, to call them "sellouts."  Because apparently you know what's right, and they're not doing it.  You don't listen; and you don't consider other points of view, except to reject them.

It's not a way to gain agreement, it's a way to guarantee that conservatism will continue to splinter.

Convince me of your position like Reagan convinced people of his. Because THAT is what we have to do. But we can't as a group until we know and agree on something.

It's become quite evident that nobody can convince you of anything that you don't already believe. 

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #458 on: October 21, 2016, 03:43:04 pm »
I couldn't say why it's rigid -- you'll need to explain to us why that's so.  All I know is, you've labeled everybody who doesn't adhere to your standards concerning Trump to be "evil."  Pretty rigid.

No, Norm, that's not what you're doing.  Your part in this conversation has been to tear into anybody who doesn't agree with you.  To call them evil, to call them "sellouts."  Because apparently you know what's right, and they're not doing it.  You don't listen; and you don't consider other points of view, except to reject them.

It's not a way to gain agreement, it's a way to guarantee that conservatism will continue to splinter.

It's become quite evident that nobody can convince you of anything that you don't already believe.

So as I said, this is about personalities for you.

Trump is evil. You want to deny that?

you don't want to fight for your position and just complain that someone does? Fine.

If you can't get someone to agree with something as basic as 'situational ethics is not conservative' to begin with without an emotion based response, then what sort of conservatism do you suppose is going to come out of the kumbaya meeting of the tribes? I'll tell you. 'The GOP' that just blew up with megaton force because you are laying the groundwork for a full historical repeat.

Offline jpsb

« Reply #459 on: October 21, 2016, 03:58:50 pm »
He sold out. His speech "Let me tell you what I think of Donald Trump" is every bit as binding as they are the words he himself spoke.
We Trump supporters kept telling Cruz was a sellout but you wouldn't believe us. Well know you know we were right and you were wrong. Enjoy 40 years of wandering in the political wilderness.

Offline jpsb

« Reply #460 on: October 21, 2016, 04:02:52 pm »
And yet the words "I endorse Donald Trump" have never come out of his mouth.

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #461 on: October 21, 2016, 04:05:41 pm »
We Trump supporters kept telling Cruz was a sellout but you wouldn't believe us. Well know you know we were right and you were wrong. Enjoy 40 years of wandering in the political wilderness.

As long as you and your fellow travelers travel somewhere other than the wilderness, that sounds like a fantastic idea.

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #462 on: October 21, 2016, 04:06:10 pm »

Yeah. What a lot of conservative ideologues call "principles" is just another word for being dogmatic.

Libertarians have the same issue. Some will fight to death to defund public libraries and such without any variation in thought.

Mindless adherence to any dogma is bad IMO.

Offline r9etb

« Reply #463 on: October 21, 2016, 04:06:25 pm »
So as I said, this is about personalities for you.

In a sense -- it's about your personality, and your inability to play well with others. 

There's simply no point in trying to discuss anything with you.  You immediately dive into absolute condemnations of anybody who doesn't fully agree with your point of view.  You've been doing it on this thread, as you've tended to do pretty much everywhere.

Offline jpsb

« Reply #464 on: October 21, 2016, 04:11:35 pm »
As long as you and your fellow travelers travel somewhere other than the wilderness, that sounds like a fantastic idea.

We sure as heck don't want you in our tribe that's for sure. So yeah where ever you are we will be far far away. Unless, that is, you come to your senses and help us elect Trump so we can save the country, the constitution and unborn Americans, then you would be welcome to join us.

• Technical
« Reply #465 on: October 21, 2016, 04:16:56 pm »
In a sense -- it's about your personality, and your inability to play well with others. 

There's simply no point in trying to discuss anything with you.  You immediately dive into absolute condemnations of anybody who doesn't fully agree with your point of view.  You've been doing it on this thread, as you've tended to do pretty much everywhere.

It's this black and white, all or nothing viewpoint that a lot on the right have IMO. I have mentioned this in another thread, most conservatives just aren't deep thinkers.

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #466 on: October 21, 2016, 04:17:45 pm »

Then put me on ignore. It's that simple. You obviously want to fixate on me the person, not my points as you continually avoid them all. So do us both a favor and ignore me henceforth. Neither of us has any use for the other.

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #467 on: October 21, 2016, 04:19:37 pm »

It's this black and white, all or nothing viewpoint that a lot on the right have IMO. I have mentioned this in another thread, most conservatives just aren't deep thinkers.

Then by all means refute my/our/the binary world view we have with your deep thought that does not involve more repeats of things already done that got us here. I welcome it. 100%

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #468 on: October 21, 2016, 04:20:43 pm »
We sure as heck don't want you in our tribe that's for sure. So yeah where ever you are we will be far far away. Unless, that is, you come to your senses and help us elect Trump so we can save the country, the constitution and unborn Americans, then you would be welcome to join us.

There is no sense involved in electing a liberal. Only liberalism.

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
« Reply #469 on: October 21, 2016, 04:22:42 pm »
And yet the words "I endorse Donald Trump" have never come out of his mouth.
He said he would vote for him, which is the same conclusion that a lot of thoughtful Patriotic folks around here came to. Unless Cruz was ready to lead an Exodus to a 3rd party I don't see what else he could have done. 
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #470 on: October 21, 2016, 04:23:13 pm »
When one gets the same/similar feedback from multiple sources, it might behoove one to at least consider it.

• Technical
« Reply #471 on: October 21, 2016, 04:23:33 pm »
Then by all means refute my/our/the binary world view we have with your deep thought that does not involve more repeats of things already done that got us here. I welcome it. 100%

That is exactly what I am doing.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 04:23:54 pm by Weird Tolkienish Figure »

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #472 on: October 21, 2016, 04:23:48 pm »
He said he would vote for him, which is the same conclusion that a lot of thoughtful Patriotic folks around here came to. Unless Cruz was ready to lead an Exodus to a 3rd party I don't see what else he could have done.

There has been some discussion of exactly that.

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #473 on: October 21, 2016, 04:26:24 pm »
When one gets the same/similar feedback from multiple sources, it might behoove one to at least consider it.

Depends on the source doesn't it. From what I see, most of it is coming from the very type of people I rail against. People that make excuses instead of stand on principle. From where I sit it looks like those people like the system as it is and are damn upset about having their complacency challenged.

Now if you'd like to challenge my own ---positions--- instead of trying to brigade this like a Tumblr/Reddit thread, by all means, do so.

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #474 on: October 21, 2016, 04:30:35 pm »

That is exactly what I am doing.

Lets simplify this for everyone:

Trump and his ilk is/are whats wrong not the solution. Y/N

Situational ethics are not conservative. Y/N

We should take a big tent approach and get along with all people claiming to be conservative. Y/N

We should stand on Principle. Y/N

Principle is more important than winning with evil/liberal candidates. Y/N