Author Topic: WSJ: The Cheap Moralizing of Never Trump  (Read 68078 times)

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Re: WSJ: The Cheap Moralizing of Never Trump
« Reply #250 on: October 19, 2016, 10:29:02 pm »
Yep.  The danger of a forum is the illusion that it somehow represents any significant group outside of it. 
The main reason I post in this forum is expressly to ESCAPE the groups outside of it.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #251 on: October 19, 2016, 10:30:58 pm »
Well, there goes another legendary poster. You know the only folks chased off this pitiful excuse for a right-leaning website are Trump voters.

Trump voters, the only republican voters standing against the sorrowful loss of American sovereignty that will surely be our future if we stupidly allow ourself to elect an authoritarian, progressive left regime, headed by the most corrupt person to ever seek the presidency, Hillary Clinton.

But, y'all go ahead, vote Darryl Castle 2016.

Stupid is as stupid does.

You *sElected* Hildabeast the moment you decided to support her Trojan Stalking Horse to be your prince.

So we will be voting for Castle or Johnson or whomever we write-in.

The *blame* for Hildabeast being coronated without the self-evident corruption necessary to create an appearance of legitimacy lies with you and your fellow Trumpatriots.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #252 on: October 19, 2016, 10:33:35 pm »
I know what he wrote and I am in no way condoning it....I just think it is so sad that this election has caused all this...friends turning on each other.
If this is as close as we get to the 'brother against brother' of 150+ years ago, we may be fortunate indeed.

How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #253 on: October 19, 2016, 10:37:28 pm »
They thought they would have us when they bullied Cruz into an endorsement, but no.
That is back to following principles versus the person. If we had suddenly found out some horrible and completely credible nastiness about Cruz, we would have been disappointed in the person, but our principles would have remained intact, the metric by which other candidates would have been measured.

Those who follow the person (often at the expense of principles) are not so anchored, and have difficulty understanding that.

I think much of the strife we are seeing is a direct result of those who have absolute morals versus those who are practicing situation ethics.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #254 on: October 19, 2016, 10:38:12 pm »
Well, there goes another legendary poster. You know the only folks chased off this pitiful excuse for a right-leaning website are Trump voters.

Trump voters, the only republican voters standing against the sorrowful loss of American sovereignty that will surely be our future if we stupidly allow ourself to elect an authoritarian, progressive left regime, headed by the most corrupt person to ever seek the presidency, Hillary Clinton.

****cute kitty

You mistake a tiny contingent of #NeverTrumpers for a force that can actually deny Trump the White House.

Look at any poll. Several million are saying they will not vote for Trump.  Nothing our little group here does  will make any difference one way or another. 

American sovereignty is safe because of Americans.  We survived Obama, we'll survive Hillary.

We'll survive Hillary likely better than we'd survive Trump.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #255 on: October 19, 2016, 10:42:35 pm »
I'm sure we all would rather deal with issues than flame wars. Yes, even evil old me. But the more pressure builds up, the bigger the blast when it ignites.

You cannot placate people only interested in getting their way. They just keep ramping up, as we clearly see daily until they get their spoiled child way or they get blowback. And most of us are done with catering to their same speil over and over.
Both personal experience and history indicate that if you try, they will just want more of it. "Peace in our time" and all that.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #256 on: October 19, 2016, 10:50:45 pm »
@musiclady

You're exactly right.  It is only some of them. 

It's just one more instance of 2016 being an eye-opening reveal.
Abuse of power, however derived, is not limited to any particular political ideology.
Sexual assault, especially as described, isn't about sex, it is about asserting dominance: a power trip.

C S Lewis

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #257 on: October 19, 2016, 10:55:38 pm »
Unfortunately they won't. they will blend back in to the right wing population only to reemerge at crucial points once again sabotaging any move towards conservatism.

I really don't think so.  George Wallace's crowd (remember, he won five states) virtually vanished after Nixon was elected.  Trump is dead as a political force.  Anger dissipates once the target event is over. 

We can all unite in support of the Republican House and be in opposition to Hillary.  But Trump was an interloper, an outsider who had no business running for president.  And, as many of us said on June 15, 2015, there is no way this guy could ever win the presidency.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #258 on: October 19, 2016, 10:57:00 pm »
If this is as close as we get to the 'brother against brother' of 150+ years ago, we may be fortunate indeed.

I have thought of that analogy also and we are almost there.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #259 on: October 19, 2016, 11:06:52 pm »
The guy on the right has potential . . .  :beer:
@ Honest John.

Yep. He can keep his eye on the ball! He can focus on what is really important!  :silly:

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #260 on: October 19, 2016, 11:07:29 pm »
I have thought of that analogy also and we are almost there.
Unfortunately so.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #261 on: October 19, 2016, 11:12:34 pm »
I really don't think so.  George Wallace's crowd (remember, he won five states) virtually vanished after Nixon was elected.  Trump is dead as a political force.  Anger dissipates once the target event is over. 

We can all unite in support of the Republican House and be in opposition to Hillary.  But Trump was an interloper, an outsider who had no business running for president.  And, as many of us said on June 15, 2015, there is no way this guy could ever win the presidency.
George Wallace's crowd vanished after he got shot. Had Wallace not been crippled in that shooting, he may have been a bigger force in politics. The people I knew who were Wallace supporters mainly were after States' Rights.

C S Lewis

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #262 on: October 19, 2016, 11:12:41 pm »

Trump himself, yes I agree. But the true believers wanted him for their revenge. They will not get it with him so they will be doubly POd.

I hope you're right. I genuinely do. But after living through this election season and seeing what we have, I can't make myself accept those nut cases are going to disappear. Not after their physical threats, physical attacks, throwing out every conservative principle, every Christian principle...I just can't buy that.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #263 on: October 19, 2016, 11:23:56 pm »

If you voted Republican your entire life but just now decide you won't vote for the republican nominee...then, yes, you are enabling Hillary Clinton. It's not as if you were lifelong democrats. Those we expect, but republicans? deciding not to engage?

#NeverTrump is a republican invention, and it is an abomination.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #264 on: October 19, 2016, 11:28:50 pm »
George Wallace's crowd vanished after he got shot. Had Wallace not been crippled in that shooting, he may have been a bigger force in politics. The people I knew who were Wallace supporters mainly were after States' Rights.
It's sad that a legitimate issue like states' rights--a cause that Everett Dirksen, who encouraged the passage of the Civil Rights Act, championed, by the way, so it wasn't just a race issue--got overshadowed by that.

Dirksen was before my time but I've earned a hell of a lot of respect for the guy from what I read. His movement to repeal Reynolds v. Sims was the closest we got to an Article V convention of the states we've ever come. It's a shame he died before he could get enough states to go along with it (and not long after, the legislature engineering forced by Reynolds killed the movement). I firmly believe the implosion of states' rights was a major factor in our situation today.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #265 on: October 19, 2016, 11:29:45 pm »

« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 11:30:08 pm by Norm Lenhart »

Offline jpsb

« Reply #266 on: October 19, 2016, 11:33:32 pm »
Damn, this is my old world at TOS.

Congratulations Norm:  You're a loudmouthed Eunuch.  You're a punk.

Okay, I'm out of here.  I don't like you people.  Good luck with the Hillary Presidency.
This is just a taste of what you NeverTrumpers have coming should Trump lose. The Rats will not like you  and conservatives are going to downright hate you for helping to elect Hillary. Trump may be boorish but Hillary is pure evil. Trump will, from time to time, embarrass you, Hillary will bring hell to Earth every freakin day.

Offline r9etb

« Reply #267 on: October 19, 2016, 11:34:00 pm »
If you voted Republican your entire life but just now decide you won't vote for the republican nominee...then, yes, you are enabling Hillary Clinton.

Piffle.

I won't vote for Donald Trump.  You talk about him like he's just some faceless Jenga piece, when in fact he's but unfit and insupportable.

Evidently you're just a Party man through and through, no matter what, and no matter how bad the candidate.  Doesn't that bother you, even a little bit?

Offline r9etb

« Reply #268 on: October 19, 2016, 11:35:03 pm »
This is just a taste of what you NeverTrumpers have coming should Trump lose. The Rats will not like you  and conservatives are going to downright hate you for helping to elect Hillary. Trump may be boorish but Hillary is pure evil. Trump will, from time to time, embarrass you, Hillary will bring hell to Earth every freakin day.

Blah blah blah blah,  "waaahhhh, I don't want to take responsibility for my own choices!"

Offline jpsb

« Reply #269 on: October 19, 2016, 11:36:49 pm »

****cute kitty
:amen:
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 11:37:18 pm by jpsb »

Silver Pines

« Reply #270 on: October 19, 2016, 11:37:15 pm »
If you voted Republican your entire life but just now decide you won't vote for the republican nominee...then, yes, you are enabling Hillary Clinton. It's not as if you were lifelong democrats. Those we expect, but republicans? deciding not to engage?

@aligncare

Abomination?

Never let politics become religion.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #271 on: October 19, 2016, 11:40:51 pm »

Consider that if I have voted Republican my entire life, I have voted four times to keep that woman away from any power whatsoever.
Then, there were at least palatable candidates, even if they increasingly did not cause an upwelling of enthusiasm because of their progressively increasing liberal histories. I voted for them knowing full well they would likely not advance Conservative causes enough to overcome the damage already done by the liberal agenda that had slipped through.

This time, the GOP has gone a bridge too far, and as far as I am concerned, they have burned it.
I'm #nevertrump, but I am also no longer affiliated with the GOP. I think you will see more of that.

C S Lewis

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #272 on: October 19, 2016, 11:42:34 pm »

Your impotence is showing. For elect-ile dysfunction lasting more than one forum post, see a doctor.

It's time.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #273 on: October 19, 2016, 11:43:59 pm »
It's sad that a legitimate issue like states' rights--a cause that Everett Dirksen, who encouraged the passage of the Civil Rights Act, championed, by the way, so it wasn't just a race issue--got overshadowed by that.

Dirksen was before my time but I've earned a hell of a lot of respect for the guy from what I read. His movement to repeal Reynolds v. Sims was the closest we got to an Article V convention of the states we've ever come. It's a shame he died before he could get enough states to go along with it (and not long after, the legislature engineering forced by Reynolds killed the movement). I firmly believe the implosion of states' rights was a major factor in our situation today.
It has been an issue for over 160 years, and will arise again. I would like to see the 17th Amendment repealed so the Senate was no longer just a clone of the House. If State Government issues were represented in the Senate again, I think the drift of power would be back toward the States and local government (and the People, just imposed on a local level and not a national one).

C S Lewis

Offline jpsb

« Reply #274 on: October 19, 2016, 11:49:57 pm »
Sorry, Arne, but Trump's worse, far worse, than Hillary.  Hillary's a conventional, corrupt politician.  She's no one's choice for President, but she won't get our soldiers killed, or worse, in a egomaniacal hissy fit like Trump may.   

It this comedy? Hillary has gotten us into war after war in the middle east and north Africa. Hillary says if elected she will impose a no fly zone over Syria. I wonder how Russia will react to us shooting down their war planes in Syria? Hillary is a cowardly neocon warmonger that left Americans to die in Benghazi. Trump is a saint compared to Hillary.