Author Topic: Murdered Sheriff Sgt. Steve Owen's crowdfund up to $40K - killing was a gang flop by early-release from Jerry Brown program.  (Read 554 times)

Offline LateForLunch

• GOTWALMA Get Out of the Way and Leave Me Alone! (Nods to Teebone)
L.A. County sheriff Sgt. Steve Owen was murdered in what has been described unofficially (by officers on the street) as a gang flop. That is a term taken from basketball referring to when a player deliberately falls down to draw a foul call. The word is that the burglary call that drew the officers to the scene was fake - the only reason for the call was to provide an opportunity for the murderer (a Cripps Gang member) to ambush the first officer he saw. That is a classic gang initiation practice.

The murderer Trenton Trevon Lowell had previously been arrested 11 times, most recently for drunk driving- but was released on a diversion program and given 36 months of probation thanks to a program initiated by Gov. Jerry Brown. Had the program not been in effect, Lowell would have been in prison at the time he murdered Sgt. Owen.

This is the second known case of an early release or diversion program convicted criminal being released from prison who then commits murder.

There is a proposition measure on the California ballot in November which  is opposed by law enforcement organizations, which will release another 50,000 -70,000 violent felons from prison by reducing their crimes severity - this includes criminals who were convicted of rape by use of intoxicants, rape of underage females, an attempted bomber of an elementary school and numerous other heinous crimes - all in the pursuit of preventing California from having to build new prisons, which it has not done in 30 years, even though the prison population has increased by 500% over that same time period. 
GOTWALMA Get out of the way and leave me alone! (Nods to General Teebone)

Offline dfwgator

Gang members should be sent to Gitmo.

Offline LateForLunch

• GOTWALMA Get Out of the Way and Leave Me Alone! (Nods to Teebone)
Gang members should be sent to Gitmo.

You are more merciful than I would be as Emperor.

Native American tribes often had a "three-strikes" policy which was that on the third offense, the principle was either executed or banished from the tribe permanently. If banished and they returned to their tribe's territory, they would then be killed on sight.

Of course, that led to thousands of renegade outcasts over time, who formed their own "tribes" which regularly raided the settlements of the tribes themselves. Occasionally the tribal leaders would get together and try to hunt down or eradicate the renegade bands, but they would scatter into the surrounding territory until it was safe to come out, then take up where they left off.

Some of the tribes got tired of the pattern and just executed those who violated serious tribal laws - so they wouldn't come back. The Native Americans discovered what we still have not - people who repeatedly break the law often get worse and don't stop until someone stops them by killing them (or in our culture, imprisoning them for the rest of their lives).

In my own view, people who commit increasingly serious crimes should be executed, not just caught and released indefinitely. Let them have their "reset" button punched so that they can reincarnate as a human being who at least has a chance of being normal. Incorrigibility is one of the most frustrating qualities of lowlifes and makes many of them hopelessly expensive and dangerous to keep around.

Most of them should probably be rounded up and gassed like mad dogs since they will never be of much use to either themselves or anyone else in this life. Most of them would be granted a far easier passing than their eventual victims, so that would be more just.

There is something wrong with a system where the only people who suffer death by torture are innocents.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 05:17:29 pm by LateForLunch »
GOTWALMA Get out of the way and leave me alone! (Nods to General Teebone)

Offline dfwgator

I remember a funny line from one of the Naked Gun movies,  there was a detective on the phone...

"No sir,  killing a gang member in this State is an $18 fine,  you can mail it in."