Author Topic: Clinton expected to play it safe at final debate  (Read 2363 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Clinton expected to play it safe at final debate
« on: October 18, 2016, 02:14:36 pm »
 By Amie Parnes - 10/18/16 06:00 AM EDT

Hillary Clinton has a simple strategy for Wednesday’s presidential debate: Do no harm.

Like a football team up by double digits with time running out, Clinton doesn’t want to do anything that would let her opponent, Republican Donald Trump, back into the game.

“The strategy is to just get through it,” said a top Democrat close to the Clinton campaign who is familiar with its prep sessions.

Clinton has a comfortable lead over Trump in national polls just three weeks before Election Day.

In the battle for 270 electoral college votes, Clinton is in an even better position.

Trump either trails her or is running neck-and-neck in every key battleground state, leaving him needing to sweep the table to defeat her.

Clinton is signaling confidence. One of her strongest surrogates, Michelle Obama, will give a speech in Phoenix this week as the Democratic nominee looks to make a play for Arizona.

Georgia and Utah, two other states that usually are in the GOP column in presidential elections, are also on the Clinton watch-list.

Given those realities, campaign aides and allies expect that the Democratic nominee will aim to stay above the fray in the final debate on Wednesday night.

Her goal, one longtime confidant said, is to “be presidential and walk the line between disdain and despair at the cesspool that Trump has made of the race.

“Steady and ready,” the confidant added.

Clinton also wants to give voters a reason to support her as she looks to make her closing arguments.

Clinton “needs to keep focused on her own vision for America's future, and give people reason to cast a positive vote for her, not just a negative vote against him,” one longtime adviser recommended.

more
http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/301437-clinton-expected-to-play-it-safe-at-final-debate
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
Re: Clinton expected to play it safe at final debate
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2016, 02:17:30 pm »
Congratulations everybody; our next president is Hillary Rodham Clinton. I hope you #NeverTrump people remain satisfied with your decision after the election.
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Oceander

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2016, 02:24:15 pm »
Congratulations everybody; our next president is Hillary Rodham Clinton. I hope you #NeverTrump people remain satisfied with your decision after the election.

Wasn't us who gave her the White House bleep.  It was you and all the idiots who nominated the one person who was categorically destined to lose to her.  I'm not happy with your decision but, given that you forced Clinton on us, I'm happy with my decision not to follow you lemming-like over the cliff. 

Oceander

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2016, 02:25:54 pm »
All Clinton needs to do is push one or two of Trumps buttons and watch him wind up and destroy himself.  All she needs to do her self is stick to high-sounding platitudes and nostrums. 

Offline Dexter

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2016, 02:28:35 pm »
Wasn't us who gave her the White House bleep.  It was you and all the idiots who nominated the one person who was categorically destined to lose to her.  I'm not happy with your decision but, given that you forced Clinton on us, I'm happy with my decision not to follow you lemming-like over the cliff.

I didn't even vote for Trump during the primary. I simply recognize that a clueless ignoramus in the White House is less dangerous than a Hillary Clinton that has been slithering her way through politics for decades.
-Socrates

Online corbe

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2016, 02:29:54 pm »
All Clinton needs to do is push one or two of Trumps buttons and watch him wind up and destroy himself.  All she needs to do her self is stick to high-sounding platitudes and nostrums. 

If she doesn't push his buttons, there is no need to fear-he will push them for her.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline ScottinVA

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2016, 02:32:24 pm »

Congratulations everybody; our next president is Hillary Rodham Clinton. I hope you Trump backers remain satisfied with your decision to nominate an unelectable buffoon whose only electoral success was blowing his own candidacy out of the water either by incompetence or intent.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 02:33:18 pm by ScottinVA »

Oceander

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2016, 02:38:27 pm »
I didn't even vote for Trump during the primary. I simply recognize that a clueless ignoramus in the White House is less dangerous than a Hillary Clinton that has been slithering her way through politics for decades.

Two points: (1) you need glasses if that's what you think reality is; Trump will be just as bad, if not more so, than Clinton, the only difference will be in the details; and (2) at this point it doesn't really matter because Trump has alienated so many voters that even if every #NeverTrump voted for him he would still lose in a landslide.  Trump singlehandedly managed to turn my wife from a nonvoter to a Clinton voter. 

If you didn't vote for Trump in the primaries, that's fine, but you've now shored yourself out to him for a pack of lies and an entree of hate.   That's your decision, but that doesn't mean it's a smart decision. 

Offline Dexter

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2016, 02:38:54 pm »
Congratulations everybody; our next president is Hillary Rodham Clinton. I hope you Trump backers remain satisfied with your decision to nominate an unelectable buffoon whose only electoral success was blowing his own candidacy out of the water either by incompetence or intent.

What's done is done. I wanted Rand Paul, but I didn't get what I wanted. Instead I'm faced with the option of voting for a buffoon or the exemplar of corrupt politics. The choice is easy.
-Socrates

Oceander

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2016, 02:39:13 pm »

Exactly. 

Oceander

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2016, 02:40:56 pm »
What's done is done. I wanted Rand Paul, but I didn't get what I wanted. Instead I'm faced with the option of voting for a buffoon or the exemplar of corrupt politics. The choice is easy.

No, you're faced with the choice of voting for a corrupt criminal, or voting third party/write in.  Trump is not merely a buffoon, he's a dangerous demagogue and a rapist. 

Offline libertybele

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2016, 02:42:11 pm »

:amen:
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Dexter

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2016, 02:43:36 pm »
Two points: (1) you need glasses if that's what you think reality is; Trump will be just as bad, if not more so, than Clinton, the only difference will be in the details; and (2) at this point it doesn't really matter because Trump has alienated so many voters that even if every #NeverTrump voted for him he would still lose in a landslide.  Trump singlehandedly managed to turn my wife from a nonvoter to a Clinton voter. 

If you didn't vote for Trump in the primaries, that's fine, but you've now shored yourself out to him for a pack of lies and an entree of hate.   That's your decision, but that doesn't mean it's a smart decision.

I find it hard to believe that Trump would be worse than Clinton. You also have SCOTUS nominations to think about. He's a jackass and you don't like him; I get it, but come on man. Dig deep and think hard. Is this guy really going to be as bad as Clinton? If he causes any trouble he will probably just get impeached. Both sides of the political establishment dislike him.
-Socrates

Offline Dexter

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2016, 02:44:13 pm »
he's a dangerous demagogue and a rapist.

He has no establishment support. They will boot his ass to the curb first chance they get.
-Socrates

Oceander

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2016, 02:47:01 pm »
He has no establishment support. They will boot his ass to the curb first chance they get.

Who is "they"?

Offline Dexter

« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2016, 02:48:41 pm »
Who is "they"?

Congress? Pretty much everybody in Washington hates that guy. If he gives them any opportunity to impeach him they will pounce on it in a heartbeat.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 02:49:42 pm by Dexter »
-Socrates

Oceander

« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2016, 02:53:48 pm »
Congress? Pretty much everybody in Washington hates that guy. If he gives them any opportunity to impeach him they will pounce on it in a heartbeat.

Right.  If Congress is so powerful it can control Trump, then it can control Clinton.  Conversely, if Congress is too weak to control Clinton, then it is too weak to control Trump.  You cannot have your cake and eat it, too.  Besides which, you seem to assume that the GOP will still control Congress.  Since Trump has been doing all he can to sabotage the other republican candidates, that is a dubious proposition. 

Offline Dexter

« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2016, 02:56:56 pm »
Right.  If Congress is so powerful it can control Trump, then it can control Clinton. 

No, Clinton has too many allies on the left. Trump has very few allies on the right. Their situations are completely different.

Conversely, if Congress is too weak to control Clinton, then it is too weak to control Trump. 

Again, no. Clinton will never get impeached because she is the poster child of the Democrats. Trump is universally disliked in Washington, so he stands a much better chance of being impeached.

You cannot have your cake and eat it, too.  Besides which, you seem to assume that the GOP will still control Congress.  Since Trump has been doing all he can to sabotage the other republican candidates, that is a dubious proposition.

If the Democrats take over congress then the odds of Trump being impeached will be even higher.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 02:58:34 pm by Dexter »
-Socrates

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2016, 03:00:31 pm »

Give credit where credit is due.  It is Trump's decision to remain #NeverConservative and #NeverSane that sealed the deal with Hillary.

Nominating the most flawed and most liberal GOP candidate possible was not my doing.  This election was lost in Cleveland.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2016, 03:03:15 pm »
If the Democrats take over congress then the odds of Trump being impeached will be even higher.

Why  would Democrats impeach a liberal President?  He supports Obamacare mandates, federal funding for abortion providers, touchback amnesty, a brand new federal entitlement for childcare, universal health care, and a new $1 trillion stimulus bill.  Why would Democrats ever get rid of that just to put Pence in office?
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2016, 03:05:06 pm »

You know it's over. I was told Trump would "destroy" HIllary during the debates last March. I said that you will be sorry for choosing Trump come election day.

Looks like I was right.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2016, 03:05:16 pm »

I see you didn't pay a bit of attention to what happened in Cleveland.  Making it up as you go makes you look like a fool.

Offline Dexter

« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2016, 03:06:24 pm »
Why  would Democrats impeach a liberal President?  He supports Obamacare mandates, federal funding for abortion providers, touchback amnesty, a brand new federal entitlement for childcare, universal health care, and a new $1 trillion stimulus bill.  Why would Democrats ever get rid of that just to put Pence in office?

You're delusional if you think the left is a fan of Trump in any way. They literally think he's the next Hitler. That's why they're firebombing Trump HQs.
-Socrates

Offline Millee

« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2016, 03:07:28 pm »
Has Chris Wallace already forwarded her the questions?? 

Offline Dexter

« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2016, 03:19:45 pm »

You know it's over. I was told Trump would "destroy" HIllary during the debates last March. I said that you will be sorry for choosing Trump come election day.

Looks like I was right.

It's unfortunate that Trump is the Republican nominee, but it is what it is. Hillary winning is going to be a disaster. Imagine her smug face as she waltzes back into the White House.
-Socrates