Author Topic: Donald Trump’s strategy for minority Americans? Don’t let them vote.  (Read 883 times)

HonestJohn

By Editorial Board
October 11

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/trumps-strategy-for-minority-americans-dont-let-them-vote/2016/10/11/c3c509ac-8fe9-11e6-a6a3-d50061aa9fae_story.html?utm_term=.b245c0855df0

WITH DONALD Trump’s polling numbers in a tailspin, he has doubled down in calling on Republican vigilantes to take matters into their own hands to thwart what many of them are primed to regard, without proof, as a rigged election. The Republican nominee’s rhetoric, inciting white rural and suburban voters who fear the voting clout of black urban Democrats, is a recipe for voter intimidation and even violence on Election Day. It also lays the groundwork for his followers to believe, if he loses,that his defeat was a historic swindle.

Starting in August, and accelerating this month, Mr. Trump has stood before rallies attended overwhelmingly by his white backers and urged them to go to “certain areas” on Election Day. “Go and vote and then go check out areas because a lot of bad things happen,” he said in Pennsylvania, where lax state laws allow poll watchers to challenge voters as they arrive at precincts. “You know what I’m talking about,” he added. On Monday, he told his followers that they must watch “other communities.” “I hear these horror shows, and we have to make sure that this election is not stolen from us and is not taken away from us,” he said. “And everybody knows what I’m talking about.”

Yes, everyone knows what Mr. Trump is “talking about.” Mr. Trump’s odious gambit is a punch to the gut of American democracy that all but ensures charges of Election Day fraud, no matter how flimsy the evidence. It’s also in keeping with long-standing voter-suppression schemes in state legislatures, where white Republican lawmakers have used the concocted threat of voter fraud as an excuse to enact voter ID laws whose main purpose is to disqualify and discourage minority voters, who disproportionately lack the required documents.

This Republican project is racially intentional, as a recent federal court ruling in North Carolina said explicitly. It dovetails with other, similarly racist tactics in other states, such as the disenfranchisement of felons long after they have completed their sentences — a rule that has left 1 in 5 black adults ineligible to vote in Virginia.

(more at link)

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Re: Donald Trump’s strategy for minority Americans? Don’t let them vote.
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2016, 12:10:24 am »
"There is no fraudulent voting going on. Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain, running to the van that's headed to another precinct—I mean, the grocery store. Yeah, that's the ticket."
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline endicom

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2016, 12:17:53 am »
Le WaPeaux.

Offline Axel

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2016, 12:21:55 am »
Le WaPeaux.

@endicom
Some of these folks must have subscriptions to WaPo because I'm being told I need to pay to view more articles! I've been linked to a ridiculous number of WaPo articles from this website.

"The Gutter Rat's going to continue to trash Romney, and Romney's going to tell the country why he should be president.

And Romney is going to win" - Sinkspur's incredible insight into the 2012 election

Offline endicom

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2016, 12:26:20 am »
@endicom
Some of these folks must have subscriptions to WaPo because I'm being told I need to pay to view more articles! I've been linked to a ridiculous number of WaPo articles from this website.

Soon they will be linking to Mother Jones.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2016, 01:02:25 am »
OP's article is a lie. Liberals feel entitled to steal the vote.

Offline American Faith Today

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2016, 01:13:09 am »
Someone should tell the WaPo editorial board that there was a video that's been passed around today of a New York democrat saying on camera voter fraud is rampant, that they bus people around to vote multiple times and that identification should be required to vote.

But then again, it's fun and requires less thinking for them to simply say, "Racist!"

Offline endicom

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2016, 01:34:08 am »
Someone should tell the WaPo editorial board that there was a video that's been passed around today of a New York democrat saying on camera voter fraud is rampant, that they bus people around to vote multiple times and that identification should be required to vote.

But then again, it's fun and requires less thinking for them to simply say, "Racist!"

Alan Schulkin - http://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/oct/11/alan-schulkin-nyc-democrat-election-commissioner-a/

Offline American Faith Today

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2016, 01:35:13 am »
Yes, thank you.