Author Topic: You Can’t Pretend Trump’s Flaws Away  (Read 3185 times)

Offline ALurker

You Can’t Pretend Trump’s Flaws Away
« on: October 05, 2016, 10:17:41 pm »
You Can’t Pretend Trump’s Flaws Away

by Ben Shapiro   October 5, 2016 2:05 PM

The delusion that leads so many to fall in love with a Fantasy Trump is dangerous.

I have a close friend who was recently dating a nasty fellow. He manipulated her emotionally; he drove a wedge between her and her family; he badmouthed her beliefs, tearing her down to build himself up. But she continued to date him, because apparently she loved him. She didn’t love the real him, of course — that guy was a jerk. She loved the fantasy she’d created for herself.

It’s bizarre to realize that for large swaths of the Republican party, Donald Trump has become that abusive boyfriend.

We’ve now watched Trump operate for well over a year. He hasn’t changed one iota during that time. He’s always been a man who says terrible things in defense of terrible ideas, who lets his ego run roughshod over whatever shred of self-control he maintains, who cares far more about insults to his ego than about the country he seeks to lead.

But that’s not the Trump that Trump defenders see. They see someone different entirely. They see a blow-up doll they could fall in love with, so long as they’re able to convince themselves he feels real.

Never was that more apparent than during last night’s vice-presidential debate, when Indiana governor Mike Pence set about describing Fantasy Trump, a character he could support sans compunction, and sans reckoning with the manifest ugliness of Reality Trump. Pence called Tim Kaine’s accurate claim that Trump had called for deportation of all illegal immigrants “nonsense.” He called Vladimir Putin “the small and bullying leader of Russia,” and when Kaine questioned him about Trump’s obvious warmth toward Putin, he claimed he was “offended.” He tut-tutted, “Oh, please, come on,” when Kaine noted (again, accurately) that Trump had called NATO obsolete, said he knew more than the generals, and said that more nations should have nuclear weapons.

When Kaine ran through the list of horribly offensive things Trump has said, from his Miss Universe insults to his “Mexican” judge comments, Pence simply pretended that the incidents in question had never happened: “If Donald Trump had said all of the things that you’ve said he said in the way you said he said them, he still wouldn’t have a fraction of the insults that Hillary Clinton leveled when she said that half of our supporters were a ‘basket of deplorables.’” Clinton’s comments were insulting. But there was no “if” regarding Trump. He said these things.

Now, some of this is politics. But the determination by many of Trump’s voters to whitewash the man in order to vote for him is astounding. An alternative universe has been constructed where Trump’s worst sins never happened, where anyone who refuses to back the lifelong big-government statist with a historic penchant for dishonesty is a traitor to conservatism. Some of the thinkers I most admire fall into this category — people who construct their own Fantasy Trump with whom to fall in love. These are the people who suggest that Trump must talk more about judges and Obamacare and the specifics of Clinton’s Egypt policy. That’s not who Trump is. Trump is the guy who couldn’t name the countries bordering Egypt, but once heard a rumor from a Breitbart commentator that Hillary stashes a lesbian lover there.

MORE
http://www.nationalreview.com/article/440742/donald-trump-supporters-self-delusion

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
Re: You Can’t Pretend Trump’s Flaws Away
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2016, 10:29:44 pm »
No, we can't pretend them away,but we can label them "Conservative" and then pretend they are great ideas.

Trump has great flaws, yuge flaws, the best flaws, nobody has better flaws than Trump. I really mean that. :laugh:
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline skeeter

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2016, 10:57:26 pm »
Trump may still win this thing because many many people simply hate Hillary Clinton.

But damn it why couldn't we have nominated someone who wasn't a clown? This could've been a no-brainer.

Silver Pines

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2016, 11:01:41 pm »
"Playing Henry Higgins to Trump’s Eliza Doolittle is one thing if Trump learns to enunciate properly. It’s entirely another thing if Trump’s Eliza instead decides to disregard the diction lessons, speaking entirely in barroom curses — and conservative Higginses insist that everyone at the ball acknowledge Trump as a princess anyway."

Exactly. And then display outrage when we refuse to play along.

Many Trump supporters have to practice active denial of reality in order to continue to back him---including his own candidate for VP.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2016, 11:34:07 pm »
Trump may still win this thing because many many people simply hate Hillary Clinton.

But damn it why couldn't we have nominated someone who wasn't a clown? This could've been a no-brainer.

No he's not going to win.  The electorate is becoming solidified, Johnson's support is melting away and going to Clinton, and Trump is not going to perform any better on Sunday and at the following debate than he did in the first.  Trump is who he is and cannot change. 

It will take a total meltdown by Hillary, physically or politically, for Trump to even come even.  Last week was death to him.  People are paying attention, and he looked like a total fool for six straight days.

Hillary will bait him.  If he takes the bait, he's through.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2016, 11:42:21 pm »
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2016, 11:44:15 pm »
No, we can't pretend them away,but we can label them "Conservative" and then pretend they are great ideas.

Trump has great flaws, yuge flaws, the best flaws, nobody has better flaws than Trump. I really mean that. :laugh:

The question is, which candidate will get away with their flaws?   The media will cover for Hillary, they won't for Trump.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2016, 11:47:54 pm »
I'm still convinced Trump is Hillary's Stalking Horse.

But even if he wasn't - the atmosphere he has created amongst Conservatives and Republicans is toxic and divisive. 

Trump has done more to damage Conservatism and destroy the Republican party than by anything Hillary or Obama could even DREAM of being able to accomplish.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2016, 11:51:58 pm »

It's amazing, both Trump and Clinton could save so much money and breath by reducing their campaigns down to how most Americans see this election. Trump: Vote for me because I'm not her ****slapping Clinton: Vote for me because I'm not him ****slapping  All these two egomaniacs have accomplished is inspiring millions of Americans to vote for.........None of the Above.  :screaming2:

Offline DiogenesLamp

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2016, 12:02:27 am »
Why is anyone discussing Trump's flaws?   They are as lightning bug compared to lightning. 

The extremely damaged and dangerously psychotic candidate whose flaws need to be discussed is that rage monster known as Hiltlery Clinton. 

‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2016, 12:07:31 am »

But even if he wasn't - the atmosphere he has created amongst Conservatives and Republicans is toxic and divisive. 

Trump has done more to damage Conservatism and destroy the Republican party than by anything Hillary or Obama could even DREAM of being able to accomplish.
Stalking horse? No more like a skittle crapping Unicorn leaving little piles of unobtanium wherever he goes to be hoarded by those that believe in fairytales.
Or if you please, in this example the Mouse is Trumps supporters, the cheese is Trumps promises and the broom is what they will really get. And hey it works equally well for Clinton!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OknGq_hl-k

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2016, 12:36:13 am »
Why is anyone discussing Trump's flaws?

Too many have convinced themselves Trump is the Second Coming, a Savior of what ails us.

We're just pointing out the false prophets.

The extremely damaged and dangerously psychotic candidate whose flaws need to be discussed is that rage monster known as Hiltlery Clinton. 

We all know what the demon-possessed Mao Pantsuit is. 

Lesser known is what Trump is and will become.

We prefer the enemy we know that we are not responsible for than the one who comes in our name to do worse than the one you are so afraid of.

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline LMAO

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2016, 12:39:35 am »

I'm not quite there.

But I have heard a lot of regular, apolitical people who wonder this very thing
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2016, 01:35:12 am »
I'm not quite there.

But I have heard a lot of regular, apolitical people who wonder this very thing

When Comey came out with the non-indictment indictment of Hildabeast, and Trump spent the next week bashing Cruz and talking about himself stating he was 'bored' with the idea of hitting Hillary when asked why he did not lay a hand on her - I was convinced.

Trump is brutally vicious and overtly personal and degrading to everyone opposed to him, but Hillary.

I'm convinced.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2016, 01:36:24 am »
Why is anyone discussing Trump's flaws?   They are as lightning bug compared to lightning. 

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2016, 01:47:37 am »
What amazes me is how many people are crossing their fingers for a "born yesterday" Trump.  They think if only he will stop being a micro-smart jerk then that will somehow mean those things went away never to return.  Hello?  There is enough history there to know that he is vile at his very core and nothing but nothing will change that, at least not overnight.  It is as though they want to be conned.  "Please Trump," they beg, "scam us."
Either way, we're getting a jerk for President.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2016, 01:59:35 am »

That is why the enemy within is more dangerous than the enemy outside the gate. Precisely.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2016, 02:12:54 am »

Because our Framers -- including those of the various states -- chose a voting system that chooses the candidate that the most people most want, rather than the candidate who is most acceptable to the most people.  The former sounds good, until you get a candidate that not many want, but a minority wants a lot.

...and because we have a bunch of idiots in this country.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2016, 03:55:12 am »

I hate Hillary with a passion but I would rather have her win.  If someone is going to ruin this country it better be Hillary.  Then we have a chance to come back and elect a Conservative in 4 years.  If we allow the clown to get elected and Trump makes a mess then it is the Republicans fault.  It will reflect on the whole party.  Better to have the Democrats screw up than the Republicans.  Maybe after this disaster Republicans can return to Conservatism.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2016, 04:02:38 am »
I hate Hillary with a passion but I would rather have her win.  If someone is going to ruin this country it better be Hillary.  Then we have a chance to come back and elect a Conservative in 4 years.  If we allow the clown to get elected and Trump makes a mess then it is the Republicans fault.  It will reflect on the whole party.  Better to have the Democrats screw up than the Republicans.  Maybe after this disaster Republicans can return to Conservatism.

The country is already ruined. It will remain ruined until people stop empowering their problems.

Republicans are as evil/corrupted as any Democrat. Let them go.

Offline Stosh

« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2016, 04:35:29 am »
You Can’t Pretend Trump’s Massive Flaws Away

You Can’t Pretend Clinton’s Massive Flaws Away

That either is being considered for any position above dog catcher is mind boggling.  And PETA would be protesting them both as dog catchers.

Both are spouting policies that will destroy the U.S. and the only question left is if we can elect enough sensible Conservatives to the Senate and Congress.  One can only hope and vote for actual adults.

geronl

« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2016, 04:40:23 am »
When Comey came out with the non-indictment indictment of Hildabeast, and Trump spent the next week bashing Cruz and talking about himself stating he was 'bored' with the idea of hitting Hillary when asked why he did not lay a hand on her - I was convinced.

National security was the topic of the first debate.... I don't think Trump mention Benghazi at all.

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2016, 05:54:53 am »

Oh I dunno..It sure seems to me that there's page after page here of Trump supporters pretending all of Donnie's flaws away. Well, not 'away, away'. Just away from themselves. Psychologists refer to this as 'Classic projection".

It's entertaining in that sad/pathetic/disgusting way, to watch genetic humans (can't really refer to them as 'people' as people generally show higher brain function) debase themselves like that without a chick with leather and whips being involved, but what can ya do.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 05:55:49 am by Norm Lenhart »

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2016, 01:55:09 pm »
Pence may have been the better behaved of the 2 in the debate, but he couldn't really refute Kaine's (interrupting) claims of the things Trump has said.
The sad fact is, you don't even have to dredge up stuff from the past (which the Dems and the media will do anyway).
Just look at what he has said since he announced he was running for President until today, and he has provided the opposition with all the ammo they will need.
Pence has a very difficult job.

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2016, 02:07:32 pm »
What amazes me is how many people are crossing their fingers for a "born yesterday" Trump.  They think if only he will stop being a micro-smart jerk then that will somehow mean those things went away never to return.  Hello?  There is enough history there to know that he is vile at his very core and nothing but nothing will change that, at least not overnight.  It is as though they want to be conned.  "Please Trump," they beg, "scam us."

RP, I held out hope that Trump would eventually show the temperament and maturity necessary to be POTUS. That veneer has been ripped off, I've realized he's not going to change. I'll never vote for Hillary, but she's the "devil we know", and that may be enough to put her in the Oval Office.

This race is illustrative of a game of limbo. Both candidates are proving they can go still lower.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.