Author Topic: Cruz: I'm voting for Trump  (Read 128679 times)

Offline Longmire

Re: Cruz: I'm voting for Trump
« Reply #1525 on: October 11, 2016, 11:41:32 am »
No where in there does he use the word "endorse".

Wrong, and apparently not capable of running simple key word searches either.  :laugh:

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #1526 on: October 11, 2016, 11:42:29 am »
You're wrong of course, which is what happens when you walk around in a haze of confirmation bias.   :shrug:

Read the entire Trump endorsement statement Ted Cruz made instead of cherry picking and you'll  see the exact endorsement quote I highlighted.

Again read the ENTIRE statement and look for the word ENDORSE to find the highlighted quote.

Or just read the headline of the article you linked..Ted Cruz Confirms He is Endorsing Donald Trump

-btw Cruz just REAFFIRMED his support for Trump yesterday after the debate.  :seeya:
Read the headline? That is some journalist trying to sell papers, not a quote of what Cruz said.  Journalists are notorious for misleading headlines.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #1527 on: October 11, 2016, 11:59:12 am »
Wrong, and apparently not capable of running simple key word searches either.  :laugh:
From someone who will not provide a link to support their allegations, I really don't care what you think at this point. I am capable of much, but you made the assertion, now back it up with sources or it is pure BS.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #1528 on: October 11, 2016, 12:23:19 pm »
Well, I read the quote you provided, and had to go dig up my own link. In fact the quote you provided (shock and horror) was only a short excerpt. In the interest of avoiding such entrapment (so like a troll!) and carrying on a better informed discussion, I will provide what you would not.

The full transcript of Cruz's statement: (from https://www.texastribune.org/2016/09/23/cruz-endorse-trump/ )
This election is unlike any other in our nation’s history.  Like many other voters, I have struggled to determine the right course of action in this general election. 

In Cleveland, I urged voters “please, don’t stay home in November.  Stand, and speak, and vote your conscience, vote for candidates up and down the ticket whom you trust to defend our freedom and to be faithful to the Constitution.”

After many months of careful consideration, of prayer and searching my own conscience, I have decided that on Election Day, I will vote for the Republican nominee, Donald Trump.

I’ve made this decision for two reasons.  First, last year, I promised to support the Republican nominee.  And I intend to keep my word.

Second, even though I have had areas of significant disagreement with our nominee, by any measure Hillary Clinton is wholly unacceptable – that’s why I have always been #NeverHillary.

Six key policy differences inform my decision.  First, and most important, the Supreme Court.  For anyone concerned about the Bill of Rights—free speech, religious liberty, the Second Amendment—the Court hangs in the balance.  I have spent my professional career fighting before the Court to defend the Constitution.  We are only one justice away from losing our most basic rights, and the next president will appoint as many as four new justices.  We know, without a doubt, that every Clinton appointee would be a left-wing ideologue.  Trump, in contrast, has promised to appoint justices “in the mold of Scalia.”

For some time, I have been seeking greater specificity on this issue, and today the Trump campaign provided that, releasing a very strong list of potential Supreme Court nominees – including Sen. Mike Lee, who would make an extraordinary justice – and making an explicit commitment to nominate only from that list.  This commitment matters, and it provides a serious reason for voters to choose to support Trump.

Second, Obamacare.  The failed healthcare law is hurting millions of Americans.  If Republicans hold Congress, leadership has committed to passing legislation repealing Obamacare.  Clinton, we know beyond a shadow of doubt, would veto that legislation.  Trump has said he would sign it.

Third, energy.  Clinton would continue the Obama administration’s war on coal and relentless efforts to crush the oil and gas industry.  Trump has said he will reduce regulations and allow the blossoming American energy renaissance to create millions of new high-paying jobs.

Fourth, immigration.  Clinton would continue and even expand President Obama’s lawless executive amnesty.  Trump has promised that he would revoke those illegal executive orders.

Fifth, national security.  Clinton would continue the Obama administration’s willful blindness to radical Islamic terrorism.  She would continue importing Middle Eastern refugees whom the FBI cannot vet to make sure they are not terrorists.  Trump has promised to stop the deluge of unvetted refugees.

Sixth, Internet freedom.  Clinton supports Obama’s plan to hand over control of the Internet to an international community of stakeholders, including Russia, China, and Iran.  Just this week, Trump came out strongly against that plan, and in support of free speech online.

These are six vital issues where the candidates’ positions present a clear choice for the American people.

If Clinton wins, we know—with 100% certainty—that she would deliver on her left-wing promises, with devastating results for our country.

My conscience tells me I must do whatever I can to stop that.

We also have seen, over the past few weeks and months, a Trump campaign focusing more and more on freedom—including emphasizing school choice and the power of economic growth to lift African-Americans and Hispanics to prosperity.

Finally, after eight years of a lawless Obama administration, targeting and persecuting those disfavored by the administration, fidelity to the rule of law has never been more important. 

The Supreme Court will be critical in preserving the rule of law.  And, if the next administration fails to honor the Constitution and Bill of Rights, then I hope that Republicans and Democrats will stand united in protecting our fundamental liberties.

Our country is in crisis.  Hillary Clinton is manifestly unfit to be president, and her policies would harm millions of Americans.  And Donald Trump is the only thing standing in her way.

A year ago, I pledged to endorse the Republican nominee, and I am honoring that commitment. And if you don’t want to see a Hillary Clinton presidency, I encourage you to vote for him.

Now, how about that? In the full statement (which you would neither link nor quote correctly) he is honoring his commitment. He uses the word "endorse" once to describe his pledge. You are free to call that an endorsement if you want, but considering it's usage and place in the statement, it is anything BUT an enthusiastic endorsement of Trump. It spells out the multitude of reasons, all of which compare Trump to a Hillary alternative which is worse, provided Trump does what he has said he sill do.

To present this as a ringing and effusive endorsement of Trump is nonsense. It is tepid, minimal, and these are all policies which Cruz had supported on his own. Which of those do you NOT think Cruz would have pushed for, or, when possible (as in the case of EOs), done?

While I don't worship any man, I honestly think Cruz would have been a far better President, and may yet be someday.

In the meantime, I'm voting for Darrell Castle. I will support my Party. If the GOP wants me back they have to come up with better candidates than Trump, and have a long way to go toward supporting the Republic again.   

« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 12:25:01 pm by Smokin Joe »

C S Lewis

Offline Longmire

« Reply #1529 on: October 11, 2016, 12:35:22 pm »
I am capable of much,

Quote from Ted Cruz statement: check

Link to Ted Cruz statement: check

Keyword to search for: check

You CAN do this!  :laugh:

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #1530 on: October 11, 2016, 01:06:11 pm »
Quote from Ted Cruz statement: check

Link to Ted Cruz statement: check

Keyword to search for: check

You CAN do this!  :laugh:
Miss previous post in your bedwetting excitement to gig me: Check.
You did this.
He who laughs last. :silly:

C S Lewis

Online libertybele

« Reply #1531 on: October 11, 2016, 01:13:48 pm »
Getting beyond this 'issue' and as I have stated before, my continued support of Cruz is not without thought and I will be watching him (as will others) in what he does from this point forward. However, the fact remains that he is still by far one of the most conservative members we have in the Senate and whether you see his voting decision as an endorsement or not, he is still one of the few members we have in the Senate who has stood up to the cartel time and time again on behalf of 'We the People'. In fact, I see his decision to vote for Trump as standing up for what he feels is best for country. He is still as far as I know, the only member of the Senate who out and out publicly called McConnell what he truly is - a liar! He is the 'champion' of our 2nd amendment right in the Heller v. DC case (so yes I believe him when he states his vote is about the justices) and perhaps a less noted case he helped to save our sovereignty in the case of Medellin v. TX.

Is he perfect?  Of course not.  If he were the nominee, would I still vote for him as president?  Absolutely 100% without hesitation!

I still believe he has the ability to lead  millions of courageous conservatives, all across America, who demand their liberty...God willing he and we will be given that opportunity.  I feel that opportunity was corruptly ended for us.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=opdaTJKmWTQ

www.youtube.com/watch?v=eE6HLbaAL0A

www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDhqM9ZnVmI
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Longmire

« Reply #1532 on: October 11, 2016, 01:20:45 pm »
@Smokin Joe You did it!  888high58888

A year ago, I pledged to endorse the Republican nominee, and I am honoring that commitment. And if you don’t want to see a Hillary Clinton presidency, I encourage you to vote for him. -Ted Cruz

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #1533 on: October 11, 2016, 01:33:04 pm »
Looks like there's some game-playing with the word "endorse".  Yes, technically Cruz did endorse Trump.  I think some of the posters on this thread are trying to imply that means some sort of approval of Trump or "jumping on the Trump train".  Cruz's statement makes it clear that neither of those are true - he is recommending people vote for Trump in order for Clinton to not win, and saying that is how he will vote. 

Online libertybele

« Reply #1534 on: October 11, 2016, 01:42:11 pm »
Looks like there's some game-playing with the word "endorse".  Yes, technically Cruz did endorse Trump.  I think some of the posters on this thread are trying to imply that means some sort of approval of Trump or "jumping on the Trump train".  Cruz's statement makes it clear that neither of those are true - he is recommending people vote for Trump in order for Clinton to not win, and saying that is how he will vote.

Regardless of the game-playing with the word 'endorse', we all have to live with the decision we make this election and we all need to vote our conscience.  Just as Ted will have to live with his decision. IMHO, if Hillary becomes president and we lose the Senate as well, this issue is the very least of our worries.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 01:43:08 pm by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #1535 on: October 11, 2016, 01:42:34 pm »
@Smokin Joe You did it!  888high58888

A year ago, I pledged to endorse the Republican nominee, and I am honoring that commitment. And if you don’t want to see a Hillary Clinton presidency, I encourage you to vote for him. -Ted Cruz
You could have saved everyone a lot of time by just posting the full quote and the link. Obviously you had them if you posted the partial quote from the article. So, wave all you want.

C S Lewis

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #1536 on: October 11, 2016, 01:53:07 pm »

I posted the dictionary definition above/upthread. Words either mean things or they do not. It is simply not possible to credibly argue that a man who endorses someone is not on their 'train'. Endorsement is approval by definition. What Cruz made clear is that he endorses Trump and therefore approves and wants others to do likewise. If he did not intend for his decision to influence other voters  to get on the Trump Train with him, he would have kept his choice to vote Trump to himself. He would not be making calls on behalf of the GOP sitting in front of a bunch of Trump/Pence signs.

I know it sucks. But thats the reality. People trying to wordsmith the truth away are simply trying to rationalize his actions in order to keep supporting Cruz regardless of what he does or says. Which is the very same thing that Trumps supporters are railed for doing.

If it's true for one, it's true for both.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #1537 on: October 11, 2016, 01:55:59 pm »
I posted the dictionary definition above/upthread. Words either mean things or they do not. It is simply not possible to credibly argue that a man who endorses someone is not on their 'train'. Endorsement is approval by definition. What Cruz made clear is that he endorses Trump and therefore approves and wants others to do likewise. If he did not intend for his decision to influence other voters  to get on the Trump Train with him, he would have kept his choice to vote Trump to himself. He would not be making calls on behalf of the GOP sitting in front of a bunch of Trump/Pence signs.

I know it sucks. But thats the reality. People trying to wordsmith the truth away are simply trying to rationalize his actions in order to keep supporting Cruz regardless of what he does or says. Which is the very same thing that Trumps supporters are railed for doing.

If it's true for one, it's true for both.

@Norm Lenhart, you're just arguing for the sake of arguing. 

Silver Pines

« Reply #1538 on: October 11, 2016, 01:59:08 pm »
I heard Cruz on the radio this morning.
He was in West Texas, yesterday. He was asked if he would still vote for Trump.
He said he would still vote for Trump because Hillary is a disaster.
He also stated that the differences between he and Trump were well known and laid out by him (Cruz) over the last year.
So, I'd say it comes out as a lukewarm "stop Hillary" endorsement, based on yesterday's comments.
I think Cruz will run for POTUS again, which is why I think he felt he had to vote for Trump now, or risk the rejection of not following the "party line" in 4 to 8 years from now.

@Groucho Tex

I read last night that Cruz told a reporter he still supports Trump...even after Trump was heard on tape admitting to sexual battery.  And Cruz has daughters.

I'm sorry, I'm done with him.  Just the other day I posted that I still believed he was a good man.  I don't know or care anymore, really.  He says Hillary is utterly unacceptable.  Well, that's true, but isn't a serial sexual abuser of women equally unacceptable?

So much for conservative men believing that women should be protected.  Cruz can stand or fall without my help from now on.

Offline Longmire

« Reply #1539 on: October 11, 2016, 03:28:36 pm »
You could have saved everyone a lot of time by just posting the full quote and the link. Obviously you had them if you posted the partial quote from the article.

Considering the topic of this thread , the article it links to and the fact that the second post on it has the FULL Ted Cruz statement from his Facebook page, you and the other nevertrumps could have saved everyone a lot of time by simply following along from the beginning. 

Just sayin... :seeya:

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #1540 on: October 11, 2016, 03:30:46 pm »
@Groucho Tex

I read last night that Cruz told a reporter he still supports Trump...even after Trump was heard on tape admitting to sexual battery.  And Cruz has daughters.

I'm sorry, I'm done with him.  Just the other day I posted that I still believed he was a good man.  I don't know or care anymore, really.  He says Hillary is utterly unacceptable.  Well, that's true, but isn't a serial sexual abuser of women equally unacceptable?

So much for conservative men believing that women should be protected.  Cruz can stand or fall without my help from now on.

Hows muh statue comin' Kat? ;)

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #1541 on: October 11, 2016, 03:31:51 pm »
@Norm Lenhart, you're just arguing for the sake of arguing.

No. And I see exactly no one rebutting my posts.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #1542 on: October 11, 2016, 03:34:25 pm »
Considering the topic of this thread , the article it links to and the fact that the second post on it has the FULL Ted Cruz statement from his Facebook page, you and the other nevertrumps could have saved everyone a lot of time by simply following along from the beginning. 

Just sayin... :seeya:
I don't 'Facebook'. Can't play video from that. You could have posted the link.

C S Lewis

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #1543 on: October 11, 2016, 03:35:47 pm »
No. And I see exactly no one rebutting my posts.

Actually I did.  Haven't seen your response yet though.

Silver Pines

« Reply #1544 on: October 11, 2016, 03:36:29 pm »
Hows muh statue comin' Kat? ;)

@Norm Lenhart

I think mine is outpacing yours by a couple of feet.   22222frying pan

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #1545 on: October 11, 2016, 03:45:01 pm »
Actually I did.  Haven't seen your response yet though.

Where?

EDIT:
"@Norm Lenhart, you're just arguing for the sake of arguing. "

Thats not rebuttal. That's diversion.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 03:48:11 pm by Norm Lenhart »

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #1546 on: October 11, 2016, 03:56:46 pm »
Well, IMHO the strength of the 'true conservative movement' was/is larger than anyone imagined.

Based on what actual evidence, other than wishful thinking?

In the 50+ years since 1964, we've nominated a conservative exactly twice, and it was the same guy both times.  Why has this great, secret mass of conservatives never once come out of the woodwork since to nominate another?  It's not just 2016 -- it's every single other primary going all the way back to 1988.  And before then, to '68, '72, and '76.  True conservatism includes love of country, patriotism etc., yet those people couldn't be bothered to support a conservative in the primaries?

The only rational explanation for that is that they simply don't exist. Our numbers are what the primaries say they are.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #1547 on: October 11, 2016, 04:04:10 pm »
Based on what actual evidence, other than wishful thinking?

In the 50+ years since 1964, we've nominated a conservative exactly twice, and it was the same guy both times.  Why has this great, secret mass of conservatives never once come out of the woodwork since to nominate another?  It's not just 2016 -- it's every single other primary going all the way back to 1988.  And before then, to '68, '72, and '76.  True conservatism includes love of country, patriotism etc., yet those people couldn't be bothered to support a conservative in the primaries?

The only rational explanation for that is that they simply don't exist. Our numbers are what the primaries say they are.

I disagree.  You assume that the nomination process is a reflection of the population.  I don't believe that to be the case.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #1548 on: October 11, 2016, 04:05:36 pm »
Your observations are valid, but in my mind, miss the point:

The reason liberalism is winning (and there is no denying that it is) is not because of any merit. The entire leftist 3rd way/ socialist/ communist paradigm has been soundly proven to be a poor course, over and over again. Every time it is tried, it results in death, destruction, and a starving, enslaved citizenry.

The reason it is winning is because there is no opposition to it.

Why?

Because there are not enough conservative voters.  It is as simple and stark as that.  If there were more of us, we'd elect more hardcore conservatives to Congress, but we don't.  Congress is wishy-washy because the majority of American voters are wishy washy, and dogmatic conservatives can only win in a relatively few districts and states.  Certainly not a majority.

All of the woes you foresee are true - but if we had representatives who were in fact true believers....

But we don't have enough representatives who are in fact true believers.  And the reason we don't is because there are not enough voters who are "true believers".  I know -- the argument then goes "well, we elect them to do one thing, but they end up doing something else."  But why?  The "why" is because they are politicians, want to get reelected, and so know which stances will enable them to get reelected.  So it all boils down to the same point -- a lack of "true believer" voters.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #1549 on: October 11, 2016, 04:11:35 pm »
Where?

EDIT:
"@Norm Lenhart, you're just arguing for the sake of arguing. "

Thats not rebuttal. That's diversion.

Check your mentions.

And, no, it's not diversion either.  It's addressing the crux of the matter and not being diverted by your red herrings.