Author Topic: Cruz: I'm voting for Trump  (Read 128373 times)

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Cruz: I'm voting for Trump
« Reply #1500 on: October 11, 2016, 01:36:55 am »
Stop it, Joe! I'm the troll. And since some genius bought the bridge I lived under and made me homeless I don't need the competition.  :tongue2:
If it's that one the candidates have been trying to sell us since the campaign started, relax. It isn't going anywhere, and they never seem to take possession. Otherwise, when you find a new bridge, make sure to check for structural problems...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #1501 on: October 11, 2016, 01:44:56 am »
If it's that one the candidates have been trying to sell us since the campaign started, relax. It isn't going anywhere, and they never seem to take possession. Otherwise, when you find a new bridge, make sure to check for structural problems...

I wouldn't go to Londonstan if you paid someone to put me on a boat and send me there. Besides, I don't speak camel phlegm.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #1502 on: October 11, 2016, 01:45:24 am »
I couldn't find where he uttered the word endorse.

"After many months of careful consideration, of prayer and searching my own conscience, I have decided that on Election Day, I will vote for the Republican nominee, Donald Trump. Our country is in crisis. Hillary Clinton is manifestly unfit to be president, and her policies would harm millions of Americans.  And Donald Trump is the only thing standing in her way. A year ago, I pledged to support the Republican nominee, and I will honor that commitment."

https://www.texastribune.org/2016/09/23/cruz-endorse-trump/

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #1503 on: October 11, 2016, 01:58:00 am »
I am pretty sure he had two finger crossed when he PLEDGED his support. So it doesn't Really count anyways.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 02:18:18 am by bigheadfred »
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #1504 on: October 11, 2016, 02:04:04 am »

"After many months of careful consideration, of prayer and searching my own conscience, I have decided that on Election Day, I will vote for the Republican nominee, Donald Trump. Our country is in crisis. Hillary Clinton is manifestly unfit to be president, and her policies would harm millions of Americans.  And Donald Trump is the only thing standing in her way. A year ago, I pledged to support the Republican nominee, and I will honor that commitment."

Like I said, if that's an endorsement, it's pretty tepid. It wouldn't be the first time Trump supporters had said Cruz had said something Cruz didn't actually say, but then, they have read the moon and stars tied up with a bow into what Donny has said, so that's not much of a surprise, either.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #1505 on: October 11, 2016, 02:06:06 am »
I wouldn't go to Londonstan if you paid someone to put me on a boat and send me there. Besides, I don't speak camel phlegm.

You know, London Bridge is less than a couple hundred miles from my house.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #1506 on: October 11, 2016, 02:16:41 am »

Or, sounded even remotely enthusiastic.

Offline DiogenesLamp

« Reply #1507 on: October 11, 2016, 02:17:26 am »
:nono:

The challenge was to produce a quote that evidenced Ted Cruz endorsing Trump not write a paean to St. Teddy, and what I provided was sufficient to meet the challenge.

Cruz gave Trump his endorsement, said he was voting for him, and encouraged others to vote Trump. End of story.

I wasn't replying to you,  I was replying to Smokin' Joe.   
‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #1508 on: October 11, 2016, 02:21:09 am »

Oh that London Bridge.  My mom's winter home. She'll be down with my sis in a couple of weeks.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #1509 on: October 11, 2016, 02:27:02 am »
@Cyber Liberty

Oh, sorry @Cyber Liberty. I was replying to @Cyber Liberty.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #1510 on: October 11, 2016, 02:39:25 am »
I believe the key to understanding what Cruz did is to realize that he does whatever Mark Levin tells him to do.  Levin is digging in and turning into a trumpbot and Cruz will not cross him.

Levin?  I don't think so.

Online libertybele

« Reply #1511 on: October 11, 2016, 02:39:33 am »
I believe the key to understanding what Cruz did is to realize that he does whatever Mark Levin tells him to do.  Levin is digging in and turning into a trumpbot and Cruz will not cross him.

IMHO and no offense, but I think that's quite a stretch on both people.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #1512 on: October 11, 2016, 03:08:05 am »
I do sound like that. I kind of get tired of people putting politicians on pedestals. They are politicians. The higher up the chain a politician goes the worse they get.

And it is HARD to be anything but a simpleton when surrounded by so many geniuses.

Well when you put it that way it makes a lot of sense and I find myself in total agreement with you. 
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Longmire

« Reply #1513 on: October 11, 2016, 03:30:24 am »

A year ago, I pledged to endorse the Republican nominee, and I am honoring that commitment. And if you don’t want to see a Hillary Clinton presidency, I encourage you to vote for him.

Online libertybele

« Reply #1514 on: October 11, 2016, 03:39:09 am »
A year ago, I pledged to endorse the Republican nominee, and I am honoring that commitment. And if you don’t want to see a Hillary Clinton presidency, I encourage you to vote for him.

Good grief...you still didn't provide a link and the quote is:

A year ago, I pledged to support the Republican nominee, and I will honor that commitment."

« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 03:40:04 am by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online DB

« Reply #1515 on: October 11, 2016, 06:47:27 am »

A year ago, I pledged to support the Republican nominee, and I will honor that commitment."

Amazing...

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #1516 on: October 11, 2016, 08:34:14 am »

You live in Arizona?
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #1517 on: October 11, 2016, 08:39:34 am »
Like I said, if that's an endorsement, it's pretty tepid. It wouldn't be the first time Trump supporters had said Cruz had said something Cruz didn't actually say, but then, they have read the moon and stars tied up with a bow into what Donny has said, so that's not much of a surprise, either.

In fairness to Cruz, he was voicing support about things Trump had said at one time (as if reminding Trump that he had said them).  The problem is that there is zero guarantee that Trump will hold to those statements considering that he is a pathological liar.  Cruz did the best he could to honor his commitment without saying anything good about Trump the man.  Nowhere did he say he believed Trump would do any of those things.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #1518 on: October 11, 2016, 11:15:01 am »
I heard Cruz on the radio this morning.
He was in West Texas, yesterday. He was asked if he would still vote for Trump.
He said he would still vote for Trump because Hillary is a disaster.
He also stated that the differences between he and Trump were well known and laid out by him (Cruz) over the last year.
So, I'd say it comes out as a lukewarm "stop Hillary" endorsement, based on yesterday's comments.
I think Cruz will run for POTUS again, which is why I think he felt he had to vote for Trump now, or risk the rejection of not following the "party line" in 4 to 8 years from now.

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #1519 on: October 11, 2016, 11:28:07 am »
I heard Cruz on the radio this morning.
He was in West Texas, yesterday. He was asked if he would still vote for Trump.
He said he would still vote for Trump because Hillary is a disaster.
He also stated that the differences between he and Trump were well known and laid out by him (Cruz) over the last year.
So, I'd say it comes out as a lukewarm "stop Hillary" endorsement, based on yesterday's comments.
I think Cruz will run for POTUS again, which is why I think he felt he had to vote for Trump now, or risk the rejection of not following the "party line" in 4 to 8 years from now.

I understand supporters wanting to minimize the Cruz sellout. I was a Cruzer from nearly the first day and argued long and hard on his behalf. But folks, a vote is the ULTIMATE ENDORSEMENT in an election/campaign. And by saying he will vote trump he is encouraging his supporters to do likewise. Period. End of.

Semantics are semantics. Cruz is endorsing Trump regardless of what spin anyone puts on it. There is zero difference between doing what he is doing and speaking four words aloud.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #1520 on: October 11, 2016, 11:29:23 am »
I believe the key to understanding what Cruz said is in remembering he is a lawyer. Words do, indeed, mean something, and Cruz chose his carefully. He pledged his support and he was honoring that pledge.
He said Trump is the only thing standing in the way of Hillary, (qualifier), so vote for Trump if you want to stop her.
And that he would vote for Trump (to stop Hillary).

No where in there does he use the word "endorse".

Trumpkins have a history of filling in the blanks with what they want to hear, and they so wanted Ted to cave after months of vitriolic attacks, even beyond the primaries, that they read something into his statement he didn't say. The media said it, just like they said Cruz blamed street riots on Trump, or was the one really behind Liz Mair's pro-Rubio PAC, and a host of other delusions.

Now I supported Cruz in the Primaries (even though we didn't get to vote for POTUS in ND).https://ballotpedia.org/RNC_delegate_guidelines_from_North_Dakota,_2016
At this point, I am no longer a member of the GOP. I have no voice there.

While as a member of the Constitution Party, my voice may be muted, it is a voice.

C S Lewis

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #1521 on: October 11, 2016, 11:33:58 am »
I understand supporters wanting to minimize the Cruz sellout. I was a Cruzer from nearly the first day and argued long and hard on his behalf. But folks, a vote is the ULTIMATE ENDORSEMENT in an election/campaign. And by saying he will vote trump he is encouraging his supporters to do likewise. Period. End of.

Semantics are semantics. Cruz is endorsing Trump regardless of what spin anyone puts on it. There is zero difference between doing what he is doing and speaking four words aloud.

Okay, fair enough, I was really just pointing out the obvious, really.
If he runs as a republican in 4-8 years, he has to be able to say he voted for the other republicans before him, or he will have trouble getting the party apparatus to support him.
Whether it is a good or bad choice, is always open for debate.
I wished he hadn't, but I won't be running for president anytime soon.

Offline Longmire

« Reply #1522 on: October 11, 2016, 11:36:49 am »

You're wrong of course, which is what happens when you walk around in a haze of confirmation bias.   :shrug:

Read the entire Trump endorsement statement Ted Cruz made instead of cherry picking and you'll  see the exact endorsement quote I highlighted.

Again read the ENTIRE statement and look for the word ENDORSE to find the highlighted quote.

Or just read the headline of the article you linked..Ted Cruz Confirms He is Endorsing Donald Trump

-btw Cruz just REAFFIRMED his support for Trump yesterday after the debate.  :seeya:

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #1523 on: October 11, 2016, 11:37:00 am »

You are free to read into his statement all sorts of things which were not said.

He qualified his statement when he said Trump is the only thing standing in the way of Hillary.

By your metric, all those on this website who are grudgingly voting for Trump ONLY to stop Hillary are ENDORSING Trump. Really? Even though they have repeatedly said they will only do so to stop her.

There you go again, seeing what you want to see when everything is laid out in front of you.

C S Lewis

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #1524 on: October 11, 2016, 11:40:06 am »
You are free to read into his statement all sorts of things which were not said.

He qualified his statement when he said Trump is the only thing standing in the way of Hillary.

By your metric, all those on this website who are grudgingly voting for Trump ONLY to stop Hillary are ENDORSING Trump. Really? Even though they have repeatedly said they will only do so to stop her.

There you go again, seeing what you want to see when everything is laid out in front of you.

Take it up with Webster

en·dorse·ment
inˈdôrsmənt,enˈdôrsmənt/
noun
noun: endorsement; plural noun: endorsements; noun: indorsement; plural noun: indorsements

an act of giving one's public approval or support to someone or something.
    synonyms:   support, backing, approval, seal of approval, agreement, recommendation, championship, patronage, affirmation, sanction;
    informalbuy-in
    "the proposal won their overwhelming endorsement"